Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hundreds of Dismissals this week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't they say they just did a performance review? So it makes sense to why a whole bunch were fired if the firings are based on that performance review.

Tesla has been doing employee evaluation every year.

What's the difference this year that would result in 400 to 700 firings in 1 week?

To prevent a sudden surge in work force loss, my place of employment (not Tesla) has staggered that process throughout the year.

if IBM laid off 1000 workers, it wont be news on page 10.

When workers are laid off, the reason is NOT performance. Employees' record can be perfect, excellent and clean.

These Tesla workers are let go with a reason on their record: Underperformance.

Imagine that if I made my goal last year to participate in Model 3 production and to meet the company's projected production guideline.

The record would show clearly that the production number was no where near 1,630 cars (30+100+15,00).

How then will I find a new job with a record of Underperformance?

From the article linked by alehbaba

Total BS. My son in Honolulu has been working for Tesla 1.5 years. Was
Recruited from BMW dealership there and had over 10 years as Master Tech for them! He has copies of two perfect reviews and had just received a raise two months ago !

So my son and 4 other techs get fired yesterday , not laid off ! The reason listed was performance ! They were the Highest paid techs and had just trained 3 newbie techs ,evidently to replace themselves for less money ! This is a terrible company to work for !

Of course unsubstantiated, but I guess easily validated by any Honolulu member.

If the accusations are accurate:

a) it sucks ethically
b) it sucks from a business POV. Why, on the edge of shipping a mass market model, would you do a "lay-off by stealth" of SC techs?

Heck even if the Model 3 wasn't coming it's not like getting an S/X serviced isn't often back logged.

Don’t know why people keep saying layoffs. They were fired. Tesla said straight up fired.

I don’t know anyone who’s been fired not insisting they were a perfect employee. I’ve also never heard family members of those fired say their kid/sibling/spouse deserved to be fired.

And if anyone who got fired thinks it was unethical/undeserved/without merit then we’ll hear about a lawsuit in the near future and they’ll have their day in court or arbitration.

"
Billy
15 hours ago
I worked on the production line for 1 year for Musk. Mandatory overtime, management treats the workers with no respect, no bathroom breaks, mandatory weekends, literally the first company I've ever worked for. Management had the attitude of Elon"

This is why Tesla doesn't want its employees to unionize. I bet this worker was pro-union. Wouldn't you be if you were being slaved like poor Billy?

I'd say this was a bunch of smoke with no fire.....except for the dozen or so C-suite departures this year.

Also:
"Big
16 hours ago
Yeah, what company ever fires that many people for performance reviews at one time? Sorry everyone with any common business sense know this is a layoff. If there was really that many incompetent workers there, what is the quality of the products they are selling then?"

o_O

• Disagree
Reactions: RobertF
That Yahoo article sure had a bunch of crazies commenting, so I went to Glassdoor to get a take. Tesla Reviews | Glassdoor

Based off what I read as far as recent reviews, there is trouble in paradise. Low compensation, long hours/forced overtime, disarray of management, processes changing daily.....and those are from the GOOD reviews! Yikes.

This one is particularly damning:
Cons

- On the flip-side many, many morons/crazy people who are ready to jump to conclusions.
- Stupid email chains with many people included.
- We do things in a scrappy (i.e. crappy) way.
- Bullying and harassment... a lot of drama.
- Also people who do not fundamentally understand the process are somehow in charge?
- A lot of great data to play with if
1.) we chose to collect it
2.) had people who understood the fundamentals of statistics (n=5 is an amazing benchmark).
- Engineering trials are considered pointless and equipment is turned over to production before validation.
- Preventative maintenance is considered waste. Though people will definitely be sure to let you that we aren't doing it.
- Responsibilities between manufacturing and maintenance are highly blended. Be prepared with your wrenches at all times.
- Safety is not always the primary concern. Management may permit, partake, or even suggest unsafe procedures. Be ready to stand your ground.
- 24/7 on call. Does not matter if you worked 20 hours in a day always be ready for a call at 3 AM. Be prepared for continuous firefighting (erm I mean thermal event management).
- Management over promising on timelines without consulting engineers.
- Everything you do is "high priority" just ignore that nonsense. No one bothers to check in and see how to help you move along or what is gating your progress.
- Divisions of teams between departments even between employees of the same title. Employee skills are not leveraged and instead everyone can learn everything and in turn become responsible for everything.
- No mentor-ship for new engineers. This could be considered a pro for some as you will be treated as a full engineer and as stated above you have a lot of freedom for self-directed learning.
- An office space perpetually being constructed (do you like breathing weld dust?)
- Strange hiring practices.
- Unbelievable amounts of turnover.
- Extremely understaffed with people way above always looking to chop more.
- Because they are so understaffed once you learn about a piece of equipment it is now under your ownership. The previous owner will have no stake in the day to day operation of the equipment. It's all yours now.
- Don't view stocks or the low value relocation package as perks. Those are just golden handcuffs to keep you here for two years and burn through you.

Tesla - No focus, no future, poor management, and well more... | Glassdoor

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Matias and cwerdna
California is under at will-employment law. Can fire with no notice.
For worker morale would it be better for under-performing staff to all go at once while higher-achievers receive bonuses versus the alternative of members of your section being let go slowly over a few weeks/months and the high-performers wondering who is next?
^This^. The bottom 10% of any workforce, is generally -20% of overall productivity and contribution. In other words..they are a drain on productive and contributing workers. Too many companies take the “warm body” approach to employment.

Shooting some hostages on a regular basis is healthy for an organization. It also reminds the remaining employees who has the gun.....

And if anyone who got fired thinks it was unethical/undeserved/without merit then we’ll hear about a lawsuit in the near future and they’ll have their day in court or arbitration.

Meaningless and without merit in an “at will” state. Employment is a choice on both sides, severable at any time by either party. As it should be...

When workers are laid off, the reason is NOT performance. Employees' record can be perfect, excellent and clean.

These Tesla workers are let go with a reason on their record: Underperformance.

Imagine that if I made my goal last year to participate in Model 3 production and to meet the company's projected production guideline.

The record would show clearly that the production number was no where near 1,630 cars (30+100+15,00).

How then will I find a new job with a record of Underperformance?

I was working at a tooling company as a tool maker (high level machinist), and we went from 10 machinists, to 2. There was no work. Then I was doing shipping and receiving, finally I was 'fired'. On noon one Friday, I was told I have pack up my tools, I was being fired. No reason given. But the company did not survive in the long run.

I disputed it with the EDD? because it affects unemployment payments. The EDD? agreed with me, and the company had to pay from Day One instead of the normal waiting period, whatever that was.

And I've watched the parade of companies who 'lay off' or 'fire' before the holiday season, or before they are vested, or before they qualify for a jump in benefits.

In our case, when I need to let somebody go, I always lay them off. We never had a RIF (downsizing), so all my layoffs were actually termination for work quality, substance abuse, or attendance issues. This is so there is never any dispute about wrongful termination. "Sorry, I am letting you go because I don't have work for you" - the key word is "you".

So is a "laid off" worker's quality is unknown. And a tip: If somebody calls asking about employment verification, always give just the start and end dates. "We do not discuss our internal operations, sorry".

That Yahoo article sure had a bunch of crazies commenting, so I went to Glassdoor to get a take. Tesla Reviews | Glassdoor

Based off what I read as far as recent reviews, there is trouble in paradise. Low compensation, long hours/forced overtime, disarray of management, processes changing daily.....and those are from the GOOD reviews! Yikes.

This one is particularly damning:
Cons

- On the flip-side many, many morons/crazy people who are ready to jump to conclusions.
- Stupid email chains with many people included.
- We do things in a scrappy (i.e. crappy) way.
- Bullying and harassment... a lot of drama.
- Also people who do not fundamentally understand the process are somehow in charge?
- A lot of great data to play with if
1.) we chose to collect it
2.) had people who understood the fundamentals of statistics (n=5 is an amazing benchmark).
- Engineering trials are considered pointless and equipment is turned over to production before validation.
- Preventative maintenance is considered waste. Though people will definitely be sure to let you that we aren't doing it.
- Responsibilities between manufacturing and maintenance are highly blended. Be prepared with your wrenches at all times.
- Safety is not always the primary concern. Management may permit, partake, or even suggest unsafe procedures. Be ready to stand your ground.
- 24/7 on call. Does not matter if you worked 20 hours in a day always be ready for a call at 3 AM. Be prepared for continuous firefighting (erm I mean thermal event management).
- Management over promising on timelines without consulting engineers.
- Everything you do is "high priority" just ignore that nonsense. No one bothers to check in and see how to help you move along or what is gating your progress.
- Divisions of teams between departments even between employees of the same title. Employee skills are not leveraged and instead everyone can learn everything and in turn become responsible for everything.
- No mentor-ship for new engineers. This could be considered a pro for some as you will be treated as a full engineer and as stated above you have a lot of freedom for self-directed learning.
- An office space perpetually being constructed (do you like breathing weld dust?)
- Strange hiring practices.
- Unbelievable amounts of turnover.
- Extremely understaffed with people way above always looking to chop more.
- Because they are so understaffed once you learn about a piece of equipment it is now under your ownership. The previous owner will have no stake in the day to day operation of the equipment. It's all yours now.
- Don't view stocks or the low value relocation package as perks. Those are just golden handcuffs to keep you here for two years and burn through you.

Tesla - No focus, no future, poor management, and well more... | Glassdoor

Wow. You chose that one carefully, didn't you?

On the most recent two pages, there are only three two star reviews - and six with five stars.

The overall rating is similar to both GM and Nissan, and in between Samsung and Apple.

You also appear to have neglected to include the positive aspects your reviewer points out:

Pros

- Free cereal (not generic!), soft serve, soda
- Good benefits you can pocket quite a bit into an HSA, but no 401k matching which is disappointing
- Transparency to upper management. You can talk to who you need to (with limits of course)
- Everyone says it is a great resume builder. Who knows if this will hold to be true.
- Freedom to learn and implement many different things even if only slightly related to your job title.
- Many, many kind people who are willing to help each other and make the place better for everyone.
- Many, many smart engineers.

Wow. You chose that one carefully, didn't you?

On the most recent two pages, there are only three two star reviews - and six with five stars.

The overall rating is similar to both GM and Nissan, and in between Samsung and Apple.

You also appear to have neglected to include the positive aspects your reviewer points out:

Even the pros are lined with negatives (no 401k match, etc)

The EDD? agreed with me, and the company had to pay from Day One instead of the normal waiting period, whatever that was.

The "waiting period" is five days for everyone. I doubt that they waived it. But disputing you term is not that difficult, since the EDD is employee-friendly, and they know that many employers lie.

In our case, when I need to let somebody go, I always lay them off.

Me too, but that poses HR legal issues. If its a large company, announcements must be made prior to to terms/layoffs. Also, a layoff means no work, so that also means that you should not go replace that person next week/month.

Maybe the
The "waiting period" is five days for everyone. I doubt that they waived it. But disputing you term is not that difficult, since the EDD is employee-friendly, and they know that many employers lie.

Me too, but that poses HR legal issues. If its a large company, announcements must be made prior to to terms/layoffs. Also, a layoff means no work, so that also means that you should not go replace that person next week/month.

This was roughly 35 years ago. Why did the EDD made them cut the check from Day One? Best guess is they were caught lying to the EDD? Pattern of previous abuse? Refusal to respond? Arbitration? I don't really know.

All I know I received a check for 2 weeks about a month after the termination. I was only out of work 2 weeks. So the entire 2 weeks I was not working I received money, retroactively. Machinists were in high demand.

Last edited: