Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC UI design sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree with the tone of that article. Look at the post below. The author is obviously bias.

upload_2017-8-16_15-29-37.png

Car dashboards that act like smart phones raise safety issues

From the above:

“You can’t be looking at a screen and be looking at the road at the same time,” said David Strayer, a professor of cognition and neural science at the University of Utah, who has written several studies on distracted driving. The screens “are enabling activities that take your eyes off the road for longer than most safety advocates would say is safe.”
If this was true, their never would have been navigation.

If this was true, their never would have been navigation.

Most nav screens only permit limited functions out of voice commands while driving due to liability concerns. The EULA for Google Maps even has a chunk in there telling you to expressly NOT interact manually with Google maps while driving.

If it was true you would think the fatality rate would be increasing instead of decreasing.

The fatality rate decreased during the vast majority of that time due to an increase in surviveability standards going up due to public outcry. You also referenced fatalities, not overall accidents. You are essentially claiming that an accident doesn't count if someone doesn't die.

Lastly, literally right next to that diagram, are two paragraphs stating that there is a sharp increases in recent years thanks largely to distracted driving. Here is a snip because the internet is hard.

"The National Safety Council, a nonprofit safety advocacy group, estimates U.S. motor vehicle deaths in 2016 were 40,200, a 14 percent increase from its 2014 estimate. The National Safety Council measures roadside deaths differently than U.S. government agencies. The National Safety Council counts traffic and non-traffic deaths within one year of an accident while the government counts only traffic deaths occurring within 30 days of a crash. The National Safety Council's statistics show that the increase in 2016 was due only in part to increased miles driven (due to population growth, low gasoline prices, and a strengthening economy.) The National Safety Council suggests the increase in deaths not explained by increased vehicle miles is attributable to complacency about impaired driving and increased driver distraction."

Most nav screens only permit limited functions out of voice commands while driving due to liability concerns. The EULA for Google Maps even has a chunk in there telling you to expressly NOT interact manually with Google maps while driving.

The fatality rate decreased during the vast majority of that time due to an increase in surviveability standards going up due to public outcry. You also referenced fatalities, not overall accidents. You are essentially claiming that an accident doesn't count if someone doesn't die.

Lastly, literally right next to that diagram, are two paragraphs stating that there is a sharp increases in recent years thanks largely to distracted driving. Here is a snip because the internet is hard.
And where does it say that distracted driving is due to navigation or HVAC controls?

Again the article that the OP referenced is only speaking to the design of the HVAC UI.

Distracted driving is caused by many different factors (phone, talking, eating, etc.). To say that it's only because of touchscreen interface in the dash is not accurate.

Last edited:
If people care that much about physical button to control the AC, then by all means go and by the Gen 2 Volt. The 455k+ people in line will thank you.

Not to pick on you specifically, cuz I see different versions of this post in tons of Model 3 threads...

But, seriously... this is such a worthless comment to post in any thread. It's just so childish and condescending.

Not to pick on you specifically, cuz I see different versions of this post in tons of Model 3 threads...

But, seriously... this is such a worthless comment to post in any thread. It's just so childish and condescending.
I don't think it's in any way childish to say if you really don't like something about the car then don't buy it. That's called being an adult. Complaining about every little detail even before you see something in person is childish.

The first thing I said in this thread was to try it out first before making judgement. The part you quoted was specifically in response to people who mentioned that they have to have manual AC buttons.

It's not childish to complain about an HVAC UI that you haven't even tried and say the design sucks?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: alseTrick and Runt8

I agree.

That comment has been directed at probably the majority of people on this site. If everybody bought a different car other than the Model 3, then Tesla will struggle. It's terrible "advice" and is nothing more than a weak, passive aggressive insult.

I agree.

That comment has been directed at probably the majority of people on this site. If everybody bought a different car other than the Model 3, then Tesla will struggle. It's terrible "advice" and is nothing more than a weak, passive aggressive insult.
You didn't read my complete quote. I said if you care that much about how to control the AC you should buy another car. That's not terrible advice. Buying a car when you absolutely hate something about it is dumb. Also Tesla isn't struggling to sell the Model 3. They can't build them fast enough. That's why I referenced the 455k+ reservations.

It's not passive aggressive if I say it directly. The definition of passive aggressive is of or denoting a type of behavior or personality characterized by indirect resistance to the demands of others and an avoidance of direct confrontation, as in procrastinating, pouting, or misplacing important materials. I'm directly confronting people's views and outright saying that if they hate not having a physical button that much then don't buy the car.

People who says words like "childish, weak" is childish and weak. Cause they can't think of logical arguments and result to personal attacks.

Last edited:
Do you own your home? Did you like everything about it or were there some compromises?

Telling someone to go buy an inferior car is dumb advice and completely unnecessary. If it makes you happier(?), you're not the only one to do it.

Just sayin'.
Look I never said to buy an inferior car. What I said was to try the HVAC UI first before you make judgment. Also that it's not a big deal either way since it's not something you are constantly adjusting normally anyways. However, if you are someone who really needs to have a physical button to control the HVAC then get another car. Another does not mean inferior. Also saying if it bothers you that much, is not saying don't accept any comprises. It's saying if it's that important to you then consider something else.

I do have advice for you which is to stop using words like "dumb" in your comments. All that is saying is how dumb you are and that you lack the control of the English language to come up with a coherent thought.