Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am frankly shocked by how stunningly ugly the Cybertruck is

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the current CT had CONSIDERABLY better fit & finish, included your choice of a wrap color, and sold for $39.9K, it would be a fair value for a fun run around truck.

But for what it does, costing what it does and still needing a $5K wrap (and regular replacements), looking exactly like every other CT on the road, the value is absolutely pathetic. And yah, the fact that they all look the same, is a REAL problem. They are very common in SW Austin where I live. It's not going to be a good look in 2 years, I assure you.

Reactions: TessP100D
Yeah, yeah, I knew some of you would leap to the CT's defense. But from any kind of design standpoint, it's ugly. It's unbalanced, it's ungainly, it's ungraceful-looking, it's just plain awkward-looking in all respects. That design might work as a futuristic motorboat, or as a baggage loading ramp at an airport, but not as a 4-wheeled road vehicle.

When something sticks out from the norm like a very sore thumb, it's not pleasing to the eye. Maybe sometime in the distant future all vehicles will look like that (I hope not), and it will fit in. And no, just being different doesn't make it amazing or likeable <cough> Pontiac Aztek <cough >.

If you like it, fine. But I predict it will be a market failure, so get one while you can. ;)

Yeah, yeah, I knew some of you would leap to the CT's defense. But from any kind of design standpoint, it's ugly. It's unbalanced, it's ungainly, it's ungraceful-looking, it's just plain awkward-looking in all respects. That design might work as a futuristic motorboat, or as a baggage loading ramp at an airport, but not as a 4-wheeled road vehicle.

When something sticks out from the norm like a very sore thumb, it's not pleasing to the eye. Maybe sometime in the distant future all vehicles will look like that (I hope not), and it will fit in. And no, just being different doesn't make it amazing or likeable <cough> Pontiac Aztek <cough >.

If you like it, fine. But I predict it will be a market failure, so get one while you can. ;)

At one time I too really liked the look of the CT.

The thing about human nature is that initially we are drawn to new/ different/ modern as it seems fresh. However, it doesn't take long for trendy/ futuristic to look trite and overplayed.

In 3 years, when everyone has already seen their thousandth identical SS CT, the CT will look corny and very stale. The lovers of the CT looks are still in phase one of this process. I see multiple CT's per day (often it's certainly the same one, but who knows really?) so, I've already went through this process.

Reactions: TessP100D
The Cybertruck is not an exercise in styling, but more to answer "What if?" questions.

What if you could build a working truck, without a body stamping plant, paint shop, gas/diesel burning engine, transmission, exhaust pipes and multi speed transmissions. Make it bullet proof, more aerodynamic, enclosed and lighted bed with motorized disappearing toneau cover. Give if a futuristic look, be highly scratch resistant and tough. Provide 4 wheel steering, advanced 48 V electronics, hidden charging ports and door openers, on board source for both 120V and 240V systems, enough to power a welder or jobsite tools. Make it unique enough so that everybody would know who you are when you arrived, look like no other truck. Give it seating for 5 guys with tool belts, easy clean interior. Make it appealing enough so that everyone on Earth would instantly recognize it at a glance. Give it World Class torque, beginning at Zero RPM. Make it garner hundreds of thousand of pre-orders, equip it with a heat pump, connect it to the internet, make it self driving and still quiet enough to carry on normal conversations at speed.

Plan for the futures, so it's built in battery pack was large enough to power your entire home for days, in the case of a utility outage. Be strong enough to provide safe and secure transportation for yourself, your family and co-workers. Design it to be built by robots, both big and small, plus install a whole car air filter that will protect occupants, even in the event of biological attack. Give it great off roading capabilities, smooth riding and versitile air suspensions, lowest center of gravity for handling and roll over protection. As a bonus, enable it to self pressurize it's battery compartment, to enable transiting even deep water.

Future proof it, making it capable of driving on Mars

Sell it direct to the consumer, eliminating shifty legacy dealerships, their sales people and flashy dressing sales managers.

This is CyberTruck.

I see Cyber being it's own brand, with spin off Sports Cars, Vans, Smaller and larger trucks, delivery vans, commercial vehicles. The base concept is solid, just need additional variations.

Original military jeeps had similar origins. They were utilitarian ugly. Poor handling, easy to roll over, little occupant comfort, noisy, little power, tiring to drive and no personnel protection. Yet they became beloved, and were a big asset to winning the war. Their brand lives on to today.

I hate to tell you this but your opinion only counts as one opinion.
There any many, and many like the CT for lots of reasons.
I personally think its completely bada**!
I think the design is incredible and I know, my opinion is just 1 of many.

I've been seeing more and more examples of it, but regardless of your opinion on how it looks, it certainly has huge road presence and is a head turner. Technically the size isn't bigger than the other full size pickups that are common on the road, but it looks bigger than it actually is.

Many of the pickups on the road aren't exactly lookers anyways in the first place, especially with the trend to ridiculous size grilles and overcomplicated predator type styling.
2022-chevrolet-silverado-21-1631133519.jpg

aac9aed0-f075-4c17-9ee6-6a405156630f.png

gmc-sierra.webp

This is as opposed to in the 2010s when some of the designs where much more reasonable and clean looking, for example my uncle had a GMC that IMO is pretty decent looking:
2010_gmc_sierra_1500_angularfront.jpg

CT defense or were you only looking for pats on the head to say you’re tight? Crazy but everyone can have a different opinion even if it doesn’t agree with your’s. As for market failure, I’ll bet Rivian wouldn’t agree as they just scratched 50k units annual and CT looks like it may do so in its first release year.

Reactions: Lance From Jax