Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In the thick of the early delivery issues..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ohmman: Thank you for the inspiration. :) You are right, of course, the sudden onset of the EV is both surprising and exhilarating from a mainstream perspective (but of course shouldn't be for someone following the progress more over time).

K-MTG: I must say, your postings have influenced me more than I care to admit. I was just looking at the cool Tosca Musk overhead photo of the Model S/X/3 family some time ago and the only thought I could muster was, damn, that rear seat of Model 3 is going to need some serious sunshade - and lamenting the fact that Tesla's track record with removable sunshades is not very promising. Spoiled by my Germans' integrated and automated sunshades too, I guess...

As for driving electric, for the first time I'm thinking of going all in on EV with the Model 3 reservation. Too early to call yet, but if things progress well, I think I could live with replacing the ICE(s) with a Model 3. The Model X will replace the Model S (no need for two similar/big cars), but Model 3 as second car might be ideal...

I am confident that the glass roof will be optional, they can't make that standard for a $35k car

I am confident that the glass roof will be optional, they can't make that standard for a $35k car

I thought the direction at the unveiling was extremely clear and left little room for discussion/question - the B-Pillar back roof/rear window is a standard feature on every 3, for rear seat headroom. There'll be an optional panoramic sunroof for the driver and front passenger or a metal roof option there - which will still have the glass over the rear seats.

Or did other people understand the statements around the unveiling differently? (I think the sunroof vs metal roof came from one of the test drive videos?)

I thought the direction at the unveiling was extremely clear and left little room for discussion/question - the B-Pillar back roof/rear window is a standard feature on every 3, for rear seat headroom. There'll be an optional panoramic sunroof for the driver and front passenger or a metal roof option there - which will still have the glass over the rear seats
The glass starting at the B pillar and going back will be standard on all Model 3. That was made very clear by the test drivers. It is the rear window, but in the Model 3 design the rear window extends unsually far forward to the B pillar.

There is of course a roof section between the rear edge of the windshield and the B pillar. That will either be metal (standard) or a sunroof (optional). There has been speculation that there may be another roof option, which is a fixed glass piece in that roof section.

All these talks about the 100D or Autopilot 2.0...What about the sunshade retrofit??? Priorities guys!!!

But I have to admit, the FWD operated perfectly on my recent road trip to SF. No issues with low ceilings as the doors adjusted accordingly. Just had trouble closing it at twin peaks because of the wind so I had to override the FWD.

Did you get your loud AC fixed yet @ohmman? I still have to do that. And how is your X doing @ModelXBoy? Hopefully the replacement remains flawless. I saw a shiny red X driving around in Irvine on Friday, not sure if it was you.

Have been busy this summer but will upload some Model X videos shortly showing the Blackvue DR650S install.

The new X is pretty much flawless. Having wind noise problem but according to tesla it is normal. So everything else is excellent. Nothing is perfect. Love the car.
If you see a red shiny X with P90D with black 22 wheel, it's most likely me. I drove around Irvine quite often. : )

@ohmman , I couldn't have said it any better. It is because we love the car so much we want everything about it to be perfect. Even with some of the early build issues it blows away the competition. I'm glad to be a somewhat early owner, Tesla takes our opinions seriously and it is nice to know we are helping develop this amazing technology.

The new X is pretty much flawless. Having wind noise problem but according to tesla it is normal. So everything else is excellent. Nothing is perfect. Love the car.
If you see a red shiny X with P90D with black 22 wheel, it's most likely me. I drove around Irvine quite often. : )

I have zero wind noises. Just the regular windshield noise that was actually much worse on the cayenne, and that thing was built like a rock

My sentiments exactly...

During my last SC visit, all the issues that have cropped up over the last 8 months were fixed (along with a couple of issues I didn't even know existed)...and now the car is Truely Fantastic.....This week-end I was down in Monterey diving....Coincidentally, the Concourse de Elegance was also being held at Pebble Beach....Still had many people oogling over the car, taking videos and photos and admiring the great product Tesla has put out there....I just wish everyone can experience the Ludicrous acceleration, the panaramic views and luxury of the interior and sound system.....Truely amazing.

Reactions: xkwizit
Thanks for the responses. I'm glad to hear that there's a general broad agreement. X goes in tomorrow for service and I'm going to keep smiling.

@ohmman, I would also echo these sentiments. Specially after the weekend excursion from SF Bay area to Santa Barbara. It was such a delight to be driving X (usually my wife has the car). Of course while enjoying the drive, I had moments of "why couldn't they have done a better job of xyz? " moments but overall a pleasant ownership experience.

For those of you who are curious, the issues relate to wind noise and auto pilot's unpredictable behavior at times (need to pay attention at all times) and oh, the superchargers needs better eateries around and they need to be in more uplifting locations :)

Reactions: ModelX
I've heard about so many people having trouble with the FWD's. However I've not yet heard of the issue that I envisioned. I envisioned that somehow the FWD's would malfunction and open on an expressway somewhere and start flapping like a bird and carry off people into TeslaLand never to be seen again.

Just surprising that I haven't heard of that happening yet.

I've heard about so many people having trouble with the FWD's. However I've not yet heard of the issue that I envisioned. I envisioned that somehow the FWD's would malfunction and open on an expressway somewhere and start flapping like a bird and carry off people into TeslaLand never to be seen again.

Just surprising that I haven't heard of that happening yet.
That's Elon's secret plan..to load every Model X owner on the Falcon rocket and take them to populate Mars..X will be the only vehicle to go to Mars :D

Yes. A surprising amount, considering I have an S loaner and my P85 in the garage. Absence and the heart or something...?

Did they give you an estimate when it will be done?

I'm one of those guys that has had the Model S since early 2013. I ordered a Model X in May 2013 when I took delivery of my Model S. It was supposed to have come October 2014. It never did. Then kept getting delayed. In the meantime I had another baby so we had to get a bigger vehicle and I cancelled my order.

I was going to reorder but all my friends that took delivery of a Model X have had problems with the FWD's so I hesitated. I made the mistake of taking an X for a test drive before I went on vacation in early July. I ordered it in mid July and they told me today they just finished it and getting shipped to San Diego soon.

I'm just hoping I don't experience any major problems with the FWD or anything else. :)

Did they give you an estimate when it will be done?

I'm one of those guys that has had the Model S since early 2013. I ordered a Model X in May 2013 when I took delivery of my Model S. It was supposed to have come October 2014. It never did. Then kept getting delayed. In the meantime I had another baby so we had to get a bigger vehicle and I cancelled my order.

I was going to reorder but all my friends that took delivery of a Model X have had problems with the FWD's so I hesitated. I made the mistake of taking an X for a test drive before I went on vacation in early July. I ordered it in mid July and they told me today they just finished it and getting shipped to San Diego soon.

I'm just hoping I don't experience any major problems with the FWD or anything else. :)

You wont the posts with issues have come down alot. U will love it.