Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the 2023 Model X suspension just not refined?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to check in and see if this fixed your seat-back vibrations long-term? Specifically the ~30-60mph rumble/vibration. It's all I can think about - it's like a sickness.

And vibration is how I would describe it, really. Over smooth roads (nothing is perfectly smooth) it is a fairly high frequency shake/vibration/disturbance right through the seats. Passengers can feel it, too, so not specific to the actual seat itself.
2024MX LR delivered 3/1. My experience is the exact same (both in terms of the car and all I can think about). I loved my TM3 and told everyone it was the best purchase I ever made. I don't feel that way at all about this car sadly.

Reactions: MobileMikeV
I've owned all the Tesla models now except the S, and IMO they all have pretty poor suspension. The Y is the absolute worst. My 3 performance is actually a better ride overall than the LR Y, and that's with the new comfort suspension.

The X is much better than the Y -- but you're right, it doesn't exactly float over the road like you might think it should based on the price.
I know this is an old thread and I’m still reading through it. I too had a Model 3, replaced it with an X, and recently added a Y. I’ve always heard how horrible the ride is in Y, but I actually found it to be the best among the 3. X and 3 and similar. I was expecting a big upgrade in ride quality and road noise when I took delivery of my X, but there was none. I almost thought there was something wrong with my X after getting the Y, but after riding in 2 difference Xs from 2 friends, mine was just the same. Personally I like the ride quality of the Y best. The 3 was from 2018, X was 2022, and Y was 2024.

Thank you for the info! I have a 2019 M3P with 84k mi and it is like silk on smooth roads that the X shakes on just as you describe. I have demo'd the new 3, Y, and S and they are leagues better.

I feel two kinds of shakeing. One is a kind of "cold start" rumble that I believe is from the HVAC compressor or some kind of warmup using the motors. The other one is, if I press my head against the headrest, it rattles/shakes my head around. I believe that is some bug in the adaptive suspension, it differs slightly when you change the suspension settings. Maybe they will submit a software fix at some point, but I notice I'm not pressing my head agains the headrest very often. Simply resting my head doesn't result in the same shake.

I know this is an old thread and I’m still reading through it. I too had a Model 3, replaced it with an X, and recently added a Y. I’ve always heard how horrible the ride is in Y, but I actually found it to be the best among the 3. X and 3 and similar. I was expecting a big upgrade in ride quality and road noise when I took delivery of my X, but there was none. I almost thought there was something wrong with my X after getting the Y, but after riding in 2 difference Xs from 2 friends, mine was just the same. Personally I like the ride quality of the Y best. The 3 was from 2018, X was 2022, and Y was 2024.
I'm surprised by this. I've now owned a 3P, SLR, and XP, and ridden for extended periods in Ys. The X is by no means what I would call great for ride comfort considering other luxury cars, but I feel there's a significant step up from the 3/Y to S/X. The Y is a definite improvement over the 3, and the X is a marginal improvement over the S (probably due to my wheels/tires, in this case), but if I had to rate them all out of 10 it would be something like:

3: 4.5/10
Y: 5.5/10
S: 7/10
X: 7.5/10

Note: scores reflect ride comfort ONLY. Not handling ability.

This past week I took a MYLR uber from JFK to a long term parking lot where my MXP was located near Newark, NJ when I returned from London (a good 90 min drive in rush hour with a few high speed highway segments) and it was just awful. Granted, road conditions aren't great there, but that's really the test of a suspension.

YMMV, of course.

OP here - Yes, the X ride is not that great especially if you compare it with vehicles in its class. It has always been puzzling seeing comments about how smooth it is. Personally I haven't been able to find a solution and will just get rid of it when the right time comes - all the price reductions on the MXP have not helped and feel a bit silly to lose that much. Until then I just live with it.

OP here - Yes, the X ride is not that great especially if you compare it with vehicles in its class. It has always been puzzling seeing comments about how smooth it is. Personally I haven't been able to find a solution and will just get rid of it when the right time comes - all the price reductions on the MXP have not helped and feel a bit silly to lose that much. Until then I just live with it.
Just had a flat front left tire… got it towed to Discount Tires and they said the inside of both of my rear tires are complete worn to the metal and I just replaced them last May, exactly one year ago and put on around 15k miles… I am replying to you sitting inside of the shop… the rep told me normally tires can only last 8k miles on Model Xs, which seems excessive.

Getting an alignment done on Thursday, not sure if it will fix anything. I got my car in August 2022 and had an alignment done in September 2022. Will look into the after market gears to see if I can get the tire wear and bad ride problems resolved… saving $1,000 in maintenance but then spending $1,500 on tires every year doesn’t sound like a good deal.

Just had a flat front left tire… got it towed to Discount Tires and they said the inside of both of my rear tires are complete worn to the metal and I just replaced them last May, exactly one year ago and put on around 15k miles… I am replying to you sitting inside of the shop… the rep told me normally tires can only last 8k miles on Model Xs, which seems excessive.

Getting an alignment done on Thursday, not sure if it will fix anything. I got my car in August 2022 and had an alignment done in September 2022. Will look into the after market gears to see if I can get the tire wear and bad ride problems resolved… saving $1,000 in maintenance but then spending $1,500 on tires every year doesn’t sound like a good deal.
Not sure if I would take Discount Tire's word on the 8k miles max. I have a bit over 8k miles on my MXP, close to 7k of the miles with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 and they still look pretty good.

I believe that Mercedes and BMW have chosen to put hundreds of extra pounds of insulation in their larger cars, to increase the feeling of luxury. The offset of this is extra weight and lower range.
Feel my 2022 X is a great combination of smooth ride and great handling. Just took it up Palomar Mountain with a group ride with the San Diego Tesla Club. It handled the curves great and felt stable and sporty. Got to talk to model 3,Y,S and Cybertruck owners and all were happy with their cars.
Drove manually on the windy and steep mountain road, and cruised comfortably with Autopilot for the freeway trip home.

I believe that Mercedes and BMW have chosen to put hundreds of extra pounds of insulation in their larger cars, to increase the feeling of luxury. The offset of this is extra weight and lower range.
Feel my 2022 X is a great combination of smooth ride and great handling. Just took it up Palomar Mountain with a group ride with the San Diego Tesla Club. It handled the curves great and felt stable and sporty. Got to talk to model 3,Y,S and Cybertruck owners and all were happy with their cars.
Drove manually on the windy and steep mountain road, and cruised comfortably with Autopilot for the freeway trip home.
The range is debatable. We have an EQS too and even though it is rated for less, it consistently gets more than what it is rated for and definitely more than the MXP. Plus the range estimate is very accurate in comparison to the inflated one my MXP has.