Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Instructions for facelift bumper/fascia installation on nosecone Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please don´t shoot the messenger.
You mistake the challenge of the task with the result.
I´m a "tinkerer" myself, and absolutely appreciate the guts and pioneering this takes.
But You should show the correct perspectives.
You compare a short lens faclift frontshot
with
a long lens fascia mod with minimizes the gap and pushed the underbite closer to the protruded bumper.

There´s a reason why "Unplugged" doesn´t use the chrome and NEVER showed a straight side profile.
Plus they already minimized in a way their "gap" by design.
Plus introduced another bottom lip to balance out their upfacing design. Using the original FL bumper will exaggerate these problems even more.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-03 um 10.40.45.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Plug Life
The shop (SDR of Cockeysville, MD) repairing the damage to the nosecone bumper and doing the prep on installation of the facelift bumper emailed me today and said they were doing a test fit of the facelift bumper and having problems getting it to fit, so they invited me to their shop to check out what they were doing to see if we could find solutions to the fit issues. They also sent some detailed photos of the fit issues. When I first looked at the photos I panicked thinking I had wasted my time and money. But when I studied them more carefully I figured out what the problem was -- they hadn't installed the right and left mounting brackets that hold the facelift bumper in place near the edges of the headlamps. So I rushed to the shop to work with them. Here's what the test fit revealed and a few photos of what was done.

First, the Tesla parts must be used to make this work. The aforementioned brackets are especially critical. Here's a photo of the mismatch without the bracket installed.

IMG_2011.JPG

Without the bracket the area around the headlight leaves a sizable gap.

IMG_2013.JPG

Once we got the brackets installed (they go under the tab at the inner edge of the headlights) the fit improve dramatically (excuse my fingers in the photos).

fullsizeoutput_4c33.jpeg

Here's a larger shot of the overall fit.

fullsizeoutput_4c31.jpeg

The gap around the inner ends of the head lights won't be a concern -- it's not a problem. But the curvature of the pre-facelift hood leaves a sizable gap between the hood edge and the black T surround.

You can see the gap in the photo below

fullsizeoutput_4c32.jpeg

As the whole area is black, it doesn't show much but we were concerned it may allow water incursion into the frunk. Bad!. But as we were missing one piece (the cover over the open area show below, behind the nosecone, which is different on the facelift bumper). That might close the gap.

fullsizeoutput_5d82.jpeg

The hood latch mechanism also seemed to get a bit in the way when we tried to close the hood. The top is plastic so we think we can cut some of that away to provide the needed clearance.

IMG_1337.JPG

As my insurance company will pay some of the cost of refinishing the hood (it was creased a bit by the fender bender) I may decide to spring for a new 2017 hood ($1,800), which will eliminate the curvature gap.

So this is a work still in progress. I'm now fully confident it can be done, but there are many install details yet to be worked out. Fortunately SDR has agreed to take many photos are their work proceeds. They're still waiting on parts from Tesla so we're probably a week away from having all of those details. Once it's all figured out SDR will do installs for other Tesla owners. Because they do a lot of work on Teslas, they have a good relationship with the Rockville and Baltimore, MD service centers. And they have a very talented staff as well. The fact that they were willing to work with me is also a major plus.

If you're considering buying the parts for this install, I'd recommend holding off for now. The issue of the gap created buy the different curvatures of the nosecone and facelift hoods may prove to be a major problem and if fixing that requires replacing the hood, it may be that the aftermarket solutions may be the best and most cost-effective approach. We'll see.

Last edited:
As my insurance company will pay some of the cost of refinishing the hood (it was creased a bit by the fender bender) I may decide to spring for a new 2017 hood ($1,800), which will eliminate the curvature gap.

artsci, just keep in mind (if you hadn't noticed) that refresh hoods don't use that rubber gasket on the hood to help seal in the frunk like nosecone cars do/did. Replacing the hood may not solve water intrusion concerns.

Can You snap a picture from a profile or 3/4 view to illustrate the hood length in comparison to the new fascia.

And on another note. Can Your body shop evaluate if they can flatten the old hoods arch bent a bit?

Thanks

As trayloader requested here are some profile shots as well as some showing the top of the T holder frame and the gap between it and the top of the hood. Clearly with the 2013 hood there's a major underbite.

The bumper is not fully mounted so gaps will appear around the headlights --- not a concern for now. Also the wire that shows is the installers first attempt at lighting the T. More on that to come.

fullsizeoutput_647a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6478.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6476.jpeg

Note the yellow tape and the gap between it and the underside of the hood. Not good, and the new hood and front frunk trim piece (see below) will fix this. But I don't know if the frunk trim piece alone without the new hood will close the gap. We'll know when we have that part.

fullsizeoutput_647d.jpeg

This shot shows the top of the T holder frame. Note the two pieces of velcro on the black piece, which probably help hold in place the lower frunk trim piece, which is very different that the nosecone piece, and won't fit with the nosecone side frunk trim. So I've concluded that with the new hood I'll also have to replace all of the frunk trim panels except the top one, and they may need to be modified a bit. Part numbers to be supplied once we have them and know it works.

This gets more complicated by the day! And the more I know the more I think the aftermarket products may be the way for others to go, unless you want to go to a lot of trouble to do this with original Tesla parts.

fullsizeoutput_6474.jpeg

Sorry to hear that, but my guts feeling was right.
Now
the third party developers didn´t get the proportions right. None. "Swollen members" apparent around the down facing crease lines.
Too much substance on the profile view.
Two options:
• how complicated fitting the new hood be (maybe You´ll get a used one) ?
• could Your body shop weld and extend the missing 1,5 inches and laquer it?

cheers

• Informative
Reactions: Plug Life
Sorry to hear that, but my guts feeling was right.
Now
the third party developers didn´t get the proportions right. None. "Swollen members" apparent around the down facing crease lines.
Too much substance on the profile view.
Two options:

cheers

I'm thinking a custom "T" insert could be made to bridge the gap and make a good looking retrofit possible. I don't have access to the tools to make one however I know it could be done.

It also looks like to me like some custom made part would do the job. What is needed now is a kit that we can buy that contains this custom made part, some adaptors to bridge the fasteners that do not align, and a parts list of what to order from Tesla. Maybe someone, or some after-market company, will put this together and offer it for sale at a reasonable price.

Yep. Exactly what I thought.
A kit solution based on the original Tesla part.
All we need is the missing elements.
I think it would look pretty cool.
Like something coming out of something. Aesthetics still work.
opinions?
missing piece1.jpg
missing piece2.jpg

That looks much like a slap-dash, home-brewed solution. I think a better approach would be to design a produce a new T badge front support that fits the curvature of the nosecone hood. It wouldn't solve the underbite problem but wouldn't;t look like a piece slapped on the underside of the hood.

And here's a photo of the new frunk trim. The lower piece over the T badge front support is critical to my install. I'm going to have to improvise a solution to use the piece on my car.

Tesla-Model-S-Facelift-2016-im-Test-Sitzprobe-1200x800-260777d6615bd0c9.jpg

Here's the nosecone frunk with it's trim. Too bad the frunk has gotten so small. I may have the only Tesla parts facelift with the large frunk:0

2012-Tesla-Model-S-front-trunk.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
Sorry to hear that, but my guts feeling was right. Now the third party developers didn´t get the proportions right. None.
"Swollen members" apparent around the down facing crease lines. Too much substance on the profile view. Two options:

cheers

I'm thinking a custom "T" insert could be made to bridge the gap and make a good looking retrofit possible.
I don't have access to the tools to make one however I know it could be done.

Interesting to note that the aftermarket kits never post a side view ... :cool:

Behind the scenes at Unplugged Performance, a Tesla tuner challenging the status quo

upload_2017-3-6_20-15-4.png

upload_2017-3-6_20-17-20.png