Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's too late, my MCU1 Died....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or does it simply show that Elon may not have been involved in the hand selection and durability testing of every part. That’s what he has automotive engineers on staff for. Does anyone believe that he designed this car, picked all the parts and did all the life cycle testing in a room by himself?

Look, I’m waiting nearly a year to have my yellowing screen replaced, so I’m not an apologist for Musk. But to blame him for a conscious effort to design a car where certain parts fail for the sole purpose of revenue generation, is, IMO, a bit over the top.
Agreed! You know what they say about hindsight.
Choosing an 8GB eMMC May have seemed fine at the time. With data being ubiquitous these days, storage needs of all kinds are rising tremendously. Remember the days before 1TB hard drives? Who’d ever need that much space right?
Don’t get me wrong, I’m going to be affected by this since I have an MCU1 car and hope that with all the attention being drawn to the issue now, Tesla will provide the repair as covered, even for out-of-warranty vehicles, before it gets to talk of an official recall. “Older Tesla’s WILL be bricked at some point...” are headlines that aren’t lost upon Elon/management I’m sure.

Reactions: Ken7
Looks like OP knows but just a reminder, there ARE third party services such as wk057, ingineer, and gruber motors who can repair these failed MCUs for $400-$800. If you don't live near them you'll have to disassemble your dash and send your MCU daughterboard in and be without the MCU while they replace the chip.

Elon finally did acknowledge the issue a couple days ago on Twitter. He said (paraphrasing) "it will be better from now on" although wk057 replied to it and said that there's been no change to logging in the current release software. Maybe a near future release will finally tone down logging. Problem is any eMMC already near its end of life will still die soon as standard software updates are applied.

Looks like OP knows but just a reminder, there ARE third party services such as wk057, ingineer, and gruber motors who can repair these failed MCUs for $400-$800. If you don't live near them you'll have to disassemble your dash and send your MCU daughterboard in and be without the MCU while they replace the chip.

Elon finally did acknowledge the issue a couple days ago on Twitter. He said (paraphrasing) "it will be better from now on" although wk057 replied to it and said that there's been no change to logging in the current release software. Maybe a near future release will finally tone down logging. Problem is any eMMC already near its end of life will still die soon as standard software updates are applied.
I think he said it is better now. Anyways. I might take the long drive up to the electrified garage if I had to

This is a management decision, not a durability issue. Hackers fixed this problem years ago by changing logging to a "tmpfs" ram drive so it doesn't constantly write to the actual chip. Tesla knows about this by now - and if they don't it means they aren't paying attention to their own cars.
What the!
I assumed the issue was that they were periodically writing logs to the flash chip maybe once every 30 seconds or so (if that) once the RAM buffer changed enough that the permanent storage needed updating. Whilst that doesn't sound much over the span of a day, week, year it all adds up. But you are saying they wrote straight to flash memory every time! That tells me the software guys do NOT understand hardware, amateur hour stuff that is (and writing to flash is far slower than RAM anyway).

Don’t get me wrong, I’m going to be affected by this since I have an MCU1 car and hope that with all the attention being drawn to the issue now, Tesla will provide the repair as covered, even for out-of-warranty vehicles, before it gets to talk of an official recall.

Never in a million years will Tesla replace MCUs out of warranty, for free, in perpetuity.

Nor will this ever get to “talk of an official recall”. Recalls are for safety defects. This is not a safety defect.

Or does it simply show that Elon may not have been involved in the hand selection and durability testing of every part. That’s what he has automotive engineers on staff for. Does anyone believe that he designed this car, picked all the parts and did all the life cycle testing in a room by himself?

Look, I’m waiting nearly a year to have my yellowing screen replaced, so I’m not an apologist for Musk. But to blame him for a conscious effort to design a car where certain parts fail for the sole purpose of revenue generation, is, IMO, a bit over the top.
Elon called himself the chief architect and chief executive officer. As the chief architect he should be identifying single points of failure - this is not an tiny detail, this is the main architectural design aspect of all Tesla cars. As a CEO he likes to take credit for everything Tesla achieves, so he should take responsibility for screwups of people he hires (and he claims to have interviewed most of them personally too).

So, as the chief architect he should have avoided such an expensive single point of failure. As a CEO he should have made sure the support plan is in place to support the cars for 20 years. In this case he failed as both. Oh, I know, he stripped himself of all titles not long ago, but he didn't strip himself of the stocks in his compensation package so now he's just the guy in charge to takes credit for all achievements, therefore he owns the failures too.

Ah man. This just happened to me this evening. Non-responsive screen. Eventually, I was able to pull up AC controls but the screen was scrambled. Then everything froze. Did a reset and was good for a few hours and it happened again, this time trying to select music. 2015 P85D. 82K miles running V10 and just got another update an hour ago. Still have warranty until 2021 though. Should I wait for more severe symptoms or check in with the service center now?

Ah man. This just happened to me this evening. Non-responsive screen. Eventually, I was able to pull up AC controls but the screen was scrambled. Then everything froze. Did a reset and was good for a few hours and it happened again, this time trying to select music. 2015 P85D. 82K miles running V10 and just got another update an hour ago. Still have warranty until 2021 though. Should I wait for more severe symptoms or check in with the service center now?
If you lose the MCU entirely you won't be able to charge, heat, AC, all those basic things. I'd call now but maybe you're more rustic than I am.

• Informative
Reactions: .jg. and GSP

I did my replacement myself, so I'm not aware of what the 3rd-party repair folks are stating, but be aware that they may not be able to guarantee that they can recover your car's private encryption keys. If not, they won't be able to supply them as a Tesla replacement will be able to. Up to you to determine if that's worth the price difference.

That having been said, I'm sure they do a very good job.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP

Maybe it's in the 2019.32.12.3 update that is rolling out to mostly AP1 and AP2.0 cars over the last 2 days.

Reactions: gavine
Never in a million years will Tesla replace MCUs out of warranty, for free, in perpetuity.

Nor will this ever get to “talk of an official recall”. Recalls are for safety defects. This is not a safety defect.

I would call not being able to defrost/defog your windows a safety defect if you are outside of California. I know this would fail the annual safety inspection in my state.

Reactions: maximizese and GSP
I would call not being able to defrost/defog your windows a safety defect if you are outside of California. I know this would fail the annual safety inspection in my state.

This is not the same thing as a safety defect that can cause a sudden accident. If your defroster isn’t working you have plenty of time to safely pull over to the side of the road before you cause a wreck.

• Disagree
Reactions: erik_k
This is not the same thing as a safety defect that can cause a sudden accident. If your defroster isn’t working you have plenty of time to safely pull over to the side of the road before you cause a wreck.
Debating over whether it’s a safety defect or not or whether an actual recall will happen isn’t my point. The MCU is a key component of all Tesla vehicles. Having guaranteed failure at some point is not a good look. Imagine if all iDrive systems or screens in Bimmers were known to fail in 4+ yrs. I’d think BMW would address in some way.
For Tesla, I’m saying that there’s enough attention/press/failure stories now that I’m hoping they will address in a way that is positive for us, even if it costs some $$ vs full price. Will it happen? Maybe (prob?) not, but again, it’s out in the open now, even more so than the broken front control arm issue...