Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Japanese Model X crashed into motor cyclists - one killed on Sunday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

April 29 - Kanagawa, Japan
There was a small accident on Tomei Highway and a minivan stopped on the highway lane.
A motor cycle bumped into the rear of minivan and the friends of the motorcyclist were rescuing him for a while.
Then, Tesla Model X crashed into them without any breaking efforts, one killed and two injured.

It is unknown whether the Autopilot was activated or not as of now.

Tesla autopilot and emergency braking both crap. Should be allowed to operate in shadow mode only until they actually work.

Trying to save lives here.

Should all other vehicles without perfect emergency braking also be recalled from the roads? Even a Volvo doesn't stop in all cases.

Should we also disable airbags on all cars until we know for sure they can't ever kill anybody?

Should all other vehicles without perfect emergency braking also be recalled from the roads? Even a Volvo doesn't stop in all cases.

Should we also disable airbags on all cars until we know for sure they can't ever kill anybody?

Autopilot has killed like 10 people per 300k vehicles sold. If that was an airbag ratio, there would be a recall.

If airbags (like Takata) had similar kill-ratio as Tesla Autopilot, they would be reacalled.

Last edited:
We should remove humans from drivers seats of cars as well since 100% of car accidents have a human inside the car.

When a human causes a fatal accident, their permit to drive is usuall revoked for a time period and in extreme cases they must re-apply for the license to regain permit. Same should apply to autopilot, otherwise we might have the same lunatic pilot driving in parallel in multiple cars simultaneously globally worldwide.

Stop and fix is the only way to evolve technology responsibly. Tesla should do a voluntary autopilot "recall" after so many incidents.

Autopilot has killed like 10 people per 300k vehicles sold. If that was an airbag ratio, there would be a recall.

The current U.S. stat for vehicle fatalities is 11 per billion miles, which, with average yearly vehicle miles of 13473, would be 11 per 74000 vehicles per year.

So on a 300k vehicles fleet there should be 44 fatalities. Per year.

If Tesla brought this down to 10 fatalities in 3 years, they've already won the battle. And I don't think it's as high as 10 even.

I come to this forum to learn something about my car and help other fellow owners with anything I can. However, day by day, it’s turning into haters spreading their misinformation.

Hey haters: why don’t you create your own forum instead of coming here, looking for any excuse to trash Tesla.

I suggest teslahatersclub or teslashortersclub - and leave us alone.

I come to this forum to learn something about my car and help other fellow owners with anything I can. However, day by day, it’s turning into haters spreading their misinformation.

Hey haters: why don’t you create your own forum instead of coming here, looking for any excuse to trash Tesla.

I suggest teslahatersclub or teslashortersclub - and leave us alone.
LOL. I think many people hate Tesla because they don't offer Model S/X at $20k for the base 75D model with free EAP.

There is little information available right now and this is kind of typical "collateral damage" type accident that happens all the time. Japanese news outlets didn't mention Tesla and one day already passed. I think this will be forgotten soon.
Hope more information will be available and faster recovery of the injured, and condolences to the motorcycle guy and his family, who was walking on the passing lane.

AP is not crap at all. The latest version holds a lane with much less wandering than many manually driven cars I see on a daily basis. Since I started using AP I notice more than ever how crap humans can be at driving along a simple lane and how often they tailgate each other.

The problem is when people expect AP to literally self drive without any human management. AP is now so good that you can easily become complacent with it. Like the recent knob in the UK who got filmed driving along the motorway whilst sitting in the passenger seat.

AP is not crap, but humans certainly can be at times!

April 29 - Kanagawa, Japan
There was a small accident on Tomei Highway and a minivan stopped on the highway lane.
A motor cycle bumped into the rear of minivan and the friends of the motorcyclist were rescuing him for a while.
Then, Tesla Model X crashed into them without any breaking efforts, one killed and two injured.

It is unknown whether the Autopilot was activated or not as of now.

According to the newscaster, the driver of the car that hit them (the Model X), a company employee, was arrested. A 40 year old man died.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
.....snip..... Autopilot has killed like 10 people per 300k vehicles sold. If that was an airbag ratio, there would be a recall.
first - you have failed to note all lives saved by tesla crumple zone(s)
Second - you fail to catagorize. You can't stop (for example) every oblivious person from running into a tesla. That's to the peril of the oblivious person.
Third - You appear to lump tesla driver/occupants versus others that may be involved.
So you see .... that kind of like result skewing like yields incorrect conclusions.
I'm just like sayin' ......
;)