Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kerbside pole-mounted chargers are now a thing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, they’re intended for long dwell times. Some people use the EVX sites to charge overnight.

They are intended to be low-cost installations so that theoretically more of them can be installed, and being only 11 kW, without triggering network upgrades.

Are these the ones in the Eastern Suburbs? My understanding is it was a deliberate decision by Council to not mark the spaces as EV Charging spaces… presumably because the “nervous Nellies” didn’t want resident blowback over those “entitled/rich” EV owners getting “free” dedicated “parking spaces”.
Yeah. This one was in Randwick.
Wild that they would put the utility in but not ensure that it can be accessed for its use.
But it’s the council, so I shouldn’t expect too much.

11kwh isn’t ideal unless you’re able to leave it there for 3-4 hours
It's an interesting argument - What speed should kerbside be set at?

I think the default position is 11kW but not an adhoc/random single charger here and there.
It needs to be planned street by street and the buildout be progressive. Start with one per street on every street with parking. Then increase the numbers as the EV uptake increases. Anywhere with unrestricted resident parking should have priority attention for the whole street to be built out.

All street/road to have parking time limits where kerbside charging is installed. This is to prevent charger squatting. Otherwise unrestricted resident parking changes to timed parking when charging between 6am and 10pm

Last edited:
Reactions: dronus
Yeah. This one was in Randwick.
Wild that they would put the utility in but not ensure that it can be accessed for its use.
But it’s the council, so I shouldn’t expect too much.

I wish I could find the article about the rationale that Randwick/Waverley/Woollahra Councils had for not marking the spaces. The thing is, if someone doesn’t have offstreet parking, then they have to park somewhere, and if they are charging at a polecharger then there is a spot somewhere else they aren’t using. So it’s not like it leads to a net reduction in public parking spots 🙄.

Suspect it's a bit of a see what works strategy. Within those 3 council areas you've got a few different systems
- Original council network (mostly 22kW) - Chargefox - $0.42/kWh, spaces marked EV only
- Intellihub pole network (22kW) - Exploren - $0.50/kWh, spaces not marked
- Glenyar Ave smart poles (only 7kW) - Chargefox - $0.42/kWh + Parking meter fees, not marked
- Bondi Junction and Woollahra DC (50kW) - Evie - $0.58/kWh, spaces marked

Suspect it's a bit of a see what works strategy. Within those 3 council areas you've got a few different systems
- Original council network (mostly 22kW) - Chargefox - $0.42/kWh, spaces marked EV only
- Intellihub pole network (22kW) - Exploren - $0.50/kWh, spaces not marked
- Glenyar Ave smart poles (only 7kW) - Chargefox - $0.42/kWh + Parking meter fees, not marked
- Bondi Junction and Woollahra DC (50kW) - Evie - $0.58/kWh, spaces marked
Hopefully someone smart in council has noticed that not having designated spaces next to the chargers isn’t a great idea.
Exploren finally replied and said they don’t own the site so can’t do anything.

Exploren finally replied and said they don’t own the site so can’t do anything.

Yeah well that’s a hand-washing cop-out. They could make representations to Council. They could point out that EVX managed to get Sydney City Council to agree to signpost and paint the adjacent parking spaces as EV charging bays. They could hire a better negotiator.

Essential Energy have partnered with EVX for a streetlight trial in Port Macquarie - Innovative streetlight EV charger goes on trial in Port Macquarie

Differing from other EV charging alternatives, the trial prototype connects to existing electricity used to power the streetlight. This eliminates the need to install additional infrastructure and undergo earthworks, reducing the visual and environmental impact.

Main difference is that it is a single 7kW port, rather than the dual 22kW EVX Polechargers... though obviously much more subtle!

EV-streetlight-group-770x513.jpg

PlugShare - Street Light Charger (Coming Soon) | Port Macquarie, NSW | EV Station