Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Make your robotaxi predictions for the 8/8 reveal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Elon says that Tesla will reveal a dedicated robotaxi vehicle on 8/8. What do you think we will see? Will it look like this concept art or something else?

GKcNKVvaEAAUmMG

I will say that while this concept drawing looks super cool, I am a bit skeptical if it is practical as a robotaxi. It looks to only have 2 seats which would be fine for 1-2 people who need a ride but would not work for more than 2 people. I feel like that would limit the robotaxis value for a lot of people. Also, it would likely need a steering wheel and pedals for regulatory reasons even if Tesla did achieve eyes-off capability.

So I think this is concept art for a hypothetical 2 seater, cheap Tesla, not a robotaxi.

Could the robotaxi look more like this concept art but smaller? It could look a bit more like say the Zoox vehicle or the Cruise Origin, more futuristic box like shape IMO and seat 5-6 people.

robotaxi-tesla-autonome.jpg

Or maybe the robotaxi will look more like the "model 2" concept:

Tesla-Model-2-1200x900.jpg

Other questions:
- Will the robotaxis be available to own by individuals as a personal car or will it strictly be owned by Tesla and only used in a ride-hailing network?
- What will cost be?
- Will it have upgraded hardware? Radar? Lidar? additional compute?
- Will Elon reveal any details on how the ride-hailing network will work?

Thoughts? Let the fun speculation begin!

Again maps are maps and everyone has access to maps plus all cities in the uses have about the same details on all the mapping services. Waymo uses HD mapping but that is unrelated to what Tesla is doing. There is no regulations in the US and I highly doubt there is in China either that you must HD map roads first and then use that data to drive.

EDIT: I think you may have a misunderstanding of what HD maps are.
Probably talking about this:
"In China, all intelligent driving systems are required to obtain a mapping qualification before they can operate on public roads. Foreign firms need to partner with domestic companies that have obtained the license."

That said, that doesn't mean an HD map is required. For example, from Baidu's presentation, Tesla is only using a midrange map designed for ADAS.

This article summarizes some of the various mapping licenses in China and notes many companies employing Urban NOA (AKA door to door L2, AKA systems like FSDS) have opted not to have HD maps, but rather generate one on the fly.

Last edited:
Reactions: JulienW
Tesla needs to duplicate the Spark EV. This Is The Way.

This was the pinnacle of small EVs in the US and nothing better has come along since.

Four doors and way shorter than anything currently in the US EV market.

Also kinda peppy. I don’t have one in my garage for nothing.

The real range of 45-50 miles isn’t great but Tesla can work on that.

i suppose it could be wider? Hard to improve on perfection.

I could be confusing it with another tiny car, but I'm pretty sure a rental car place at an airport tried to give me an ICE Spark about a decade ago when I had selected "Compact - similar to Honda Civic" when I made the reservation. We literally were not able to fit our luggage in it lmao.

"In China, all intelligent driving systems are required to obtain a mapping qualification before they can operate on public roads. Foreign firms need to partner with domestic companies that have obtained the license."...
Yeah, but of course that is just maps for route navigation. This is just China being very protectionist and only wants Chinese companies using Chinese info to be used.

Just a down and dirty on what HD maps are for Ib92677. Waymo first drives on the streets with a human driver. It is using all the cameras/radar/LIDAR to scan everything from curbs to fire hydrants to trash cans to light posts and ALL details even temporary like partial lane closures. This data becomes Waymo's HD maps (proprietary data) and sent to all other Waymo's. And as a Waymos drives down that same road it is dynamically updating the HD mapping data and is sent to the other Waymo's. Tesla or NO other compony has any access to Waymo's proprietary HD maps. Same can be said for Cruse or any other compony that makes/uses HD maps.

Reactions: lb92677 and DrChaos
"In China, all intelligent driving systems are required to obtain a mapping qualification before they can operate on public roads. Foreign firms need to partner with domestic companies that have obtained the license."

I suspect in China's case it means "you are not allowed to make or own your own maps, only what government approved vendors says is the map".

USSR famously had intentionally deceptive maps for internal use.

Reactions: JulienW