Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1/MCU2 upgrade to MCU3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correction. All newly manufactured cars may be equipped with the new MCU. There's no plan plan right now to allow for a paid retrofit like there was for the Model S/X from MCU/1 to MCU/2.

Correction. All newly manufactured cars may be equipped with the new MCU. There's no plan plan right now to allow for a paid retrofit like there was for the Model S/X from MCU/1 to MCU/2.
When MCU2 arrived it took a while before older Model S/X had the option to upgrade and it should be similar now. It would be in Teslas best interrest to have as many cars on the same hardware as possible and it also give a good income stream and happy customer. As of now I don't see the reason to why Tesla would agree to update MCU1 -->MCU2 but not to MCU3. But I'm sure we will find out before February is over.

When MCU2 arrived it took a while before older Model S/X had the option to upgrade and it should be similar now. It would be in Teslas best interrest to have as many cars on the same hardware as possible and it also give a good income stream and happy customer. As of now I don't see the reason to why Tesla would agree to update MCU1 -->MCU2 but not to MCU3. But I'm sure we will find out before February is over.
Sawyer published a internal Tesla memo that clearly said that There will be no AMD upgrade for older Model 3/Y. Check our his tweets.

This seems confusing. If my car arrives this month with Intel that means I could have a 50k car that could potentially be a brick in a couple years given the age of Intel atom. Maybe a brick is a bit much but to have a car that would be a couple years old and not be able to run newer upgraded programs seems like they would offer an MCU3 upgrade. Anything older than 2022 w/intel would basically be worthless in 5 years given Tesla relies solely on that screen and computer to operate the vehicle.

This seems confusing. If my car arrives this month with Intel that means I could have a 50k car that could potentially be a brick in a couple years given the age of Intel atom. Maybe a brick is a bit much but to have a car that would be a couple years old and not be able to run newer upgraded programs seems like they would offer an MCU3 upgrade. Anything older than 2022 w/intel would basically be worthless in 5 years given Tesla relies solely on that screen and computer to operate the vehicle.

you're somewhat correct. Model S from 2012 were eventually offered the optional Infotainment Upgrade Package (Infotainment Upgrade) since mid 2020. The old MCU lasted that long.

I assume that everyone with the MCU/2 (Intel based) could purchase an optional MCU/3 with the AMD processor some time in a distant future once the Intel is determined to be EOL, but like the MCU/1, it may be 6 to 7 years from now.

No reason to worry about that now. The Intel based MCU/2 performs perfectly well even with v11 and with FSD Beta 10.8.

• Informative
Reactions: Hbrink and Shmesla
…I don't see the reason to why Tesla would agree to update MCU1 -->MCU2 but not to MCU3…
MCU3 computers are liquid cooled and MCU1 cars don’t have those cooling loops. I expect to see DIY retrofits, assuming MCU3 builds allow for vertical (either for older cars or for a possible new roadster vertical screen) but I don’t expect Tesla corporate to do it. I’d love to be wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: t3sl4drvr
MCU3 computers are liquid cooled and MCU1 cars don’t have those cooling loops. I expect to see DIY retrofits, assuming MCU3 builds allow for vertical (either for older cars or for a possible new roadster vertical screen) but I don’t expect Tesla corporate to do it. I’d love to be wrong.
I didn't know that, but hopefully it will just make the upgrade a little more expensive and that they have though somewhat of backwards compability so Tesla don't need to store MCU1 and MCU2 parts for a decade extra when we are at MCU6.