Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the HW3 installed on my LR RWD over this past weekend. Today was first day driving it any meaningful distance with it. Cameras needed to calibrate and I thought my 30 minutes commute would be long enough to get it done. But it’s been stuck at what looks like 99% and didn’t budge at all on my commute home. How long the camera calibration taken others who have had the upgrade?

It has to do with how much turning you do during the drive. So on a straight road it will take much longer.

Are there any benefits to having HW3 currently? Also, can mobile service do the install? I remember Musk saying on Twitter mobile service will be doing HW3 upgrades. I’m a bit far from a service center and won’t be in a hurry unless Mobile can do it (unless there are large feature improvements).

After many failed attempts to book an appointment to get my 2.5 upgraded to 3.0. It finally worked yesterday. I did what I always have done in the past and that is use the app to book an appointment and say that I wanted to upgrade the computer to the 3.0. Then I would be contacted and they would cancel the appointment because they would say it was not time yet for my Vin number and that they would contact me when the time came. Well this time when I did the same procedure I ended up getting an invoice for zero dollars, of course, as a work order and they also had some complementary things they are going to change out... for example the pins in the charge port on early models supposedly have a high fail rate even though mine are still perfectly good. This will be done at the Nashville Tennessee location. So for those that are also waiting for this upgrade just continue to book appointments if you would like and eventually it will work.

103XXX VIN AWD Delivery 10/2018, made an appointment via the app for a few rattles and threw in a request for my HW3 upgrade. The service center just reached out to me to confirm that it's ready. Fingers crossed.

Done today. Dropped the car off in the morning and picked it up this afternoon. No issues, they even calibrated it for me. Probably took only a few hours, but they spent a good part of the afternoon tracking down some rattles for me. I guess I can see traffic lights and trash cans now... yay.

Are there any benefits to having HW3 currently? Also, can mobile service do the install? I remember Musk saying on Twitter mobile service will be doing HW3 upgrades. I’m a bit far from a service center and won’t be in a hurry unless Mobile can do it (unless there are large feature improvements).

Only current benefit is the “FSD preview” visualizations on the screen. Model 3 upgrades have to be done at the service center because it involves breaking into some coolant lines.

Reactions: Zorak03
After many failed attempts to book an appointment to get my 2.5 upgraded to 3.0. It finally worked yesterday. I did what I always have done in the past and that is use the app to book an appointment and say that I wanted to upgrade the computer to the 3.0. Then I would be contacted and they would cancel the appointment because they would say it was not time yet for my Vin number and that they would contact me when the time came. Well this time when I did the same procedure I ended up getting an invoice for zero dollars, of course, as a work order and they also had some complementary things they are going to change out... for example the pins in the charge port on early models supposedly have a high fail rate even though mine are still perfectly good. This will be done at the Nashville Tennessee location. So for those that are also waiting for this upgrade just continue to book appointments if you would like and eventually it will work.
Yeah, I was pretty much told “you get it when you get it” a couple of times and after my last mobile service for b pillar camera fogging and frequent BT issues the Ranger suggested I should make another appointment and specify FSD computer upgrade. Did so and my number came up on the HW3 lottery. Picking up the car today to test out.

Only current benefit is the “FSD preview” visualizations on the screen. Model 3 upgrades have to be done at the service center because it involves breaking into some coolant lines.

The biggest benefit is HW3 doesn't ping pong between lanes as much as HW2.5 does ever since they enabled the new visualizations. This is definitely an issue now that Tesla needs to address with priority which is why I believe they are finally starting to process upgrades before it becomes a bigger safety issue.

Reactions: Pavlo_Y
just adding my interactions to the list. have a 3,xxx vin 3 long range. schedualed a service appointment for airfliter, tire rotation and FSD computer. everything completed with no fuss.

someone on reddit thought the lifetime trip computer would be reset for some reason, that did not happen.

Did you really continue booking multiple appointments for HW3 when Tesla specifically said they will contact you when your turn comes up? Wow.

Don't see why the surprise. Tesla is so friggin' bad about proactively delivering stuff that's past due (whether it's entire cars, or parts), and their communication is awful. Who knows if/when they'd call. For example, he found out he was eligible, but they hadn't called.

I wonder... Let's say FSD fails to materialize, and Tesla issues refunds. If you've had HW3 installed post delivery, they've arguably given you something for your FSD $ and would be less inclined to refund it.

Last edited:
Tesla Model 3 Performance VIN 826**, built September/October 2018, took delivery 11/2018, bought FSD at time of car purchase, currently staying in Orlando FL (home base is Pittsburgh PA), made service appointment a couple weeks ago for FSD computer upgrade, they took my car yesterday morning at 9:00AM at the Orlando Tesla Service center, completed it today at 9:00AM, cameras still calibrating at 99%, seems to stay in lanes better, visualizations work, all settings seem to be preserved.

Don't see why the surprise. Tesla is so friggin' bad about proactively delivering stuff that's past due (whether it's entire cars, or parts), and their communication is awful. Who knows if/when they'd call. For example, he found out he was eligible, but they hadn't called.
If you don’t see what’s wrong with clogging the system and Tesla wasting time cancelling people’s appointments, and sending them emails explaining the process then I don’t know what to tell you. People on here have already confirmed Tesla contacting them. What’s funnier is after wasting Teslas time you go complain that they never call you.