Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR - battery capacity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive been looking for this for ages, and finally found a place where I could find the capacity of the model 3 long range.
I have a 2021 3 LR, and I'd heard a rumour that there was capacity variation across those that were brought into the country.

So I found the answer in redbook.com.au.
2021 Model 3 LR (Jan-Nov) : Battery capacity 74.5kw
2021 Model 3 LR (Nov+): Battery capacity 82kw

Different battery manufacturers, different chemistry, roughly the same range, but if you are using the app "tessie" to measure your battery degredation, the starting kw makes a big difference. It defaults to 77kw (?).

In my personal experience, with a Jan 2021 LR (74.5kw). And 40,000km on the clock, my battery degradation is way less than Tesla average, but if adjust the 'starting kw' in Tessie up to 76kw, my degredation then matches Tesla average
Suffice to say, Jan 2021 LR 3 could be anyway between 74.5kw to 77kw based on personal Research, by 74.5kw is the official figure.

I've the same model but from September and only 12,000kms so far. Projected range when new was 547km and now it has dropped to about 530kms, with more of the drop in the past 8 months versus less in the first 8 months. What is your Projected (=EPS) Range now?
I never use projected range, and I don't believe it measures battery degredation.
My recommendation is to get the Tessie app. It will take a few weeks of calibrating before it gives you a result.

Screenshot_20230228-124759.png

A few links I've gathered for my own use that you may consider:

Batteries Tesla Uses:

Which Batteries is Tesla Using In Each Model Today? - History-Computer

Tesla's Different Battery Cell Types and Chemistry Explained - History-Computer
Note: This article claims Tesla/Panasonic 2170 is NCM. Most references claim it’s NCA.

Model Y From Texas And Germany Initially To Come With 2170 Cells? (insideevs.com)
Battery use clarification: China 2170’s are LG NCM, US uses Panasonic NCA (Likely Austin too)

Panasonic boosts energy density, trims cobalt in new 2170 battery cell for Tesla | TechCrunch

Reactions: Hairyman
I never use projected range, and I don't believe it measures battery degredation.
I do not think that is the case. Projected range is the EPA constant multiplied by the available battery kWhrs. So in effect it is giving a figure directly related to the capacity of the battery at 100% SOC. I am not talking about estimated range which is something different and based on travel history.

I have had both Scan my Tesla and TeslaMate since day one so I have plenty of statistics & data. From memory I think SmT (querying the BMS) said the battery is a 77kWhr battery with something like 74.5kWhrs available, but one has to factor in the bottom buffer of something like 3.3kWhrs. Discounting the buffer, I have 70.7kWhrs right now or 74kWHrs if I ran from 100% to car stopping.

Reactions: Techno-phile
Ive been looking for this for ages, and finally found a place where I could find the capacity of the model 3 long range.
I have a 2021 3 LR, and I'd heard a rumour that there was capacity variation across those that were brought into the country.

So I found the answer in redbook.com.au.
2021 Model 3 LR (Jan-Nov) : Battery capacity 74.5kw
2021 Model 3 LR (Nov+): Battery capacity 82kw

My MiCM3LR 2021(April Build) with ScanMyTesla tells me my battery has a nominal original 74.5kw capacity. My last charge showed 62.1kwh at 90%. Extrapolate that out to 100% and you get 69.0kwh. Buffer is shown as 3.3kwh so Full Nominal Capacity is now 72.3 kwh indicating overall degradation of 3% since July 2021.

Sorry I screwed up the format in my previous reply.

My MiCM3LR 2021(April Build) with ScanMyTesla tells me my battery has a nominal original 74.5kw capacity. My last charge showed 62.1kwh at 90%. Extrapolate that out to 100% and you get 69.0kwh. Buffer is shown as 3.3kwh so Full Nominal Capacity is now 72.3 kwh indicating overall degradation of 3% since July 2021.

Reactions: positiv and cafz
I have an early 2021 Model 3 Long Range (LG battery), from the first MiC batch. I have been using Tessie for about the last 45,000km mileage, nearly 18 months. I have used a starting battery capacity of 74.5kWh in Tessie - I corresponded with the author back when I started using it and we agreed that was the right number for my car.

My car has driven about 64,000km now, and Tessie reports degradation of 4.8% and a maximum range of 520km (give or take a couple of km - it bounces around a bit, but right now it says 520km)

For your reference and comparison, the reported range at 20,000km on my odometer was 530km. It was something like 535 or 540km when the car was brand new.

So in broad figures my car’s range has dropped maybe 10km in the first 20000km, and another 10km in the next 45000km, in each case with a few km of “bouncing around” from day to day, but those are reasonable round numbers for anyone who is interested.

Reactions: Bouba
For your reference and comparison, the reported range at 20,000km on my odometer was 530km. It was something like 535 or 540km when the car was brand new.

So in broad figures my car’s range has dropped maybe 10km in the first 20000km, and another 10km in the next 45000km, in each case with a few km of “bouncing around” from day to day, but those are reasonable round numbers for anyone who is interested.
Thanks for that useful info. I have the same earlier LG battery. Seems as if mine is a small amount worse than yours, but not much different and nothing to worry about. I'm very encouraged by your 64K number and the overall trajectory. I mainly charge to 80% and long trips occasionally end around 20%. I might change to 75% as my norm.

Great info Ted.
I was worried whether my charging habits had any impact on range. Usually charge to 90% about once per week, but did the trip to Darwin last year where I'd charge to 100% most days
Didnt seem to make any difference.