Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S crashes into gym

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The video makes it clear that just at the moment when the driver should have been applying pressure to the brake pedal to come to a full stop (since regen would have slowed the car down to the speed where it was making the right turn into the parking space) the drive instead pressed the accelerator. It's obvious that is what happened.
tesla-gym-crash-1.gif

Weird park job. Those front wheels.....they're in the turn, straighten for half a second and then jerk deep again before acceleration, overshooting the angle needed. Like she was distracted momentarily, bad cut and then needed to take corrective action with the brake. A multi tasking fail.

I am convinced that one pedal driving for a person unfamiliar with this car is the likely cause of confusion. I noticed this 'phenomena' a couple of days back while taking one of my nieces on a bumper-car (dodgem). It only has one pedal and slows down using regen. My instinct to avoid a sudden collision was to slam the pedal which of course resulted in me hitting the other bumper car pretty hard. This is me with 35 years of driving experience and no major accident (touch wood)! Luckily for my niece and I, we were a lot heavier than the 9 yo in the other bumper-car :).

I think Tesla has a golden opportunity here to pull some amazing innovation like they did with their Radar Point Cloud and Overheat Protection. Could we think up a way to protect Tesla drivers from accidentally unleashing the full fury of a Tesla in a car park? How about using GPS to detect when the car is away from a road and when any "sudden" application of the throttle is applied simply cut it to zero and display a "Wrong Pedal Protection."? This mode can be linked to a profile and is enabled by default for all new profiles. I'm sure we can get some good ideas out of this forum...

I think Tesla has a golden opportunity here to pull some amazing innovation like they did with their Radar Point Cloud and Overheat Protection. Could we think up a way to protect Tesla drivers from accidentally unleashing the full fury of a Tesla in a car park? How about using GPS to detect when the car is away from a road and when any "sudden" application of the throttle is applied simply cut it to zero and display a "Wrong Pedal Protection."? This mode can be linked to a profile and is enabled by default for all new profiles.
Impressive idea. These kind of accidents happen thousands of times every year just in the US. We now have the technology to prevent them. Sure there will be cases where the driver will want to override such a setting (while on a road that doesn't' show in the nav database, like an obscure dirt road) but that could easily be allowed for with an "override pedal protection" pop up choice on the center display, once the override is selected that geo coordinate is saved and it won't have to be overridden again in the future.

I like your proposal.

I don't think any of these people who have dealt with "unintended acceleration" will ever believe they did anything wrong until someone comes up with a device that mounts under the steering wheel, and video records feet/pedals.

I do take issue with the "...having reviewed the logs and that it shows that the accelerator (throttle) pedal was pressed during the accident." The logs don't show that. The logs do not show the ACTUAL position of the throttle pedal; they show the ELECTRONIC position of the accelerator pedal position sensor. That sensor is basically a potentiometer (a variable resistor). Anyone who has dealt with electronics has dealt with faulty pots before. They fail in one of three ways; they get "dirty", they fail open (0%), or they fail short (100%). If the pot failed "short", it would look (to the logs) like the throttle pedal was pressed to 100% (that she floored it).

Now, car companies that use electronic throttle position sensors normally have redundant pots built in, with logic in the system designed so that if one pot gives a bad reading, it gets ignored (or is given a lower priority). i.e. if one pot shows a throttle position of 100% and the other shows 15%, the car assumes the 100% reading is faulty. I can't/won't speak for Tesla's circuit design, but would be shocked if it was designed with a single-point-of-failure (especially something like a throttle position sensor, with is a moving part and will, by definition, eventually wear out).

Now, I'm not saying this happened here. I'm willing to bet some money that she pressed the wrong pedal.

I couldn't help notice that, in the article, the car owner (the husband) went on and on about how familiar he was with Teslas ("I have owned several Model S Tesla’s and currently own 1 P85D and 1 P90D"...yada, yada, yada). That's great, that's wonderful, you're an expert Tesla driver. However, YOU WEREN'T DRIVING.

Reactions: liuping and McRat
Didn't look like it from the video.

His embellished story put his whole claim into question from the get go.

According to the linked report from elektrek, somone passed through the door seconds before it was blasted to smithereens. While it is in general impossible to state when someone was close to dying, it could have been the outcome had a person been in front of the door at the time of the crash.

Wrong pedal, foot stuck, distracted,confused seems like it was human error. Some might say the human error was blaming a machine. :)
These have been in the news many times. Usually an elderly person became confused and hit wrong pedal. Not knocking the elderly but the stats don't lie. A Tesla should have parked in the empty corner of the lot anyway :)

• Funny
Reactions: aesculus
Impressive idea. These kind of accidents happen thousands of times every year just in the US. We now have the technology to prevent them. Sure there will be cases where the driver will want to override such a setting (while on a road that doesn't' show in the nav database, like an obscure dirt road) but that could easily be allowed for with an "override pedal protection" pop up choice on the center display, once the override is selected that geo coordinate is saved and it won't have to be overridden again in the future.

I like your proposal.

Given that Tesla has limited resources I consider this a dangerous distraction from their actual, stated goal, i.e. to provide the world with BEVs.

I think this proposal is especially tricky because Tesla would be liable to law suits from the bad drivers who managed to misuse their pedals in some corner case manner that the software would not handle. "Yes, your honor, I did press the accelerator all the way down when I wanted to stop and the darn Tesla car failed on its promise to understand my true intention. I want 1 billion dollars in compensation."

Last edited:
I absolutely believe it was the wrong pedal. When you have regen braking you are gradually releasing the accelerator to slow your vehicle, instead of gradually pressing the brake pedal. If somehow you get distracted and have to make a split second decision to floor the brake pedal, and your foot is already on a pedal that was allowing you to slow down, then I can see how this happened.

This driver needs to keep creep mode on and regen on low.

Yup, agreed wrong pedal.

However Elon has introduced a mode to prevent wrong headed individuals fatally cooking their children and pets in the MS ,

So, Elon how about Tesla determine the vehicle is not on the highway and is in a parking lot using GPS and disable max acceleration unless the user responds to an override warning on the display. This could be further complemented by taking into account the steering angle, I could name a few other parameters but unfortunately Tesla probably dont have access to such data!

Cue the Anti-nannying brigade :) - Though this could be a feature in the Settings that the owner can override at their risk.

Be another great USP for Tesla marketing.
There's just so much they could do with GPS+EV that they dont (yet).