Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Driver Blames Autopilot “Failure” For Crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model S Driver Blames Autopilot "Failure" For Crash - Tesla Disputes Claim

I looked for a thread covering this story, but didn't find one. Apologies if it's duplicated and debated elsewhere.

What makes no sense to me about Tesla's response (that the driver had pressed the brake, thereby disabling AutoSteer and Traffic-Aware Cruise Control), is that if the driver had actually done that, then the car would be decelerating under heavy regen - not maintaining its speed or accelerating.

So how does one reconcile the two sides of this story? How does a driver disable AutoPilot by pressing the brake yet manage to continue accelerating into an accident? Because that's what it appears Tesla is saying happened.

Either the driver is telling the truth and AutoPilot caused the crash, or the driver is lying and she had her foot on the accelerator and caused the accident herself. Because the alternative scenario asserted by Tesla -- that she pressed and released the brake which caused the collision avoidance to turn off (which isn't how it works - it's only disabled when the brake is being pressed) and the car didn't engage the heavy regen to slow -- makes absolutely no sense to me.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what Tesla is arguing?

Regardless, if she slammed the brakes and still hit the car at 40mph she should have taken control much sooner. If you're getting uncomfortably close too fast, don't wonder when the car will slow down; use the brake.

I believe Tesla is not lying about the brake pedal being pressed. It may have even just been enough to turn on the brake light, that's probably all it takes. So perhaps the car was slowing (regen) but not as much as was needed. And maybe regen was set to Low.