Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid 21" Pilot Sport 4S (wet/cool) road noise making me insane.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@WilliamG , I had mine installed about a week ago. Running 10.5x20 with 285x35x20 and 11x20 with 305x35x20 and 40 to 41psi like you. I'm finding there's considerable howling from the tires between 60 and 70mph. I've found this on all of the freeways. Outside of that speed band I'd say they road noise is fine. I've emailed Michelin to see if they have any feedback on whether or not I can expect this to continue. I might ask for a refund if the answer is yes. Really quite disappointed, as they weren't cheap, and I was really happy with my summer Pilot Spot 4S on my Model 3 :(

Edit: Just to add that the temperatures here have been mostly below freezing, and there has been varying levels of salt on the roads. I've experienced the howl in wet and dry weather.

Tire might need some break-in according to the owner. (Same 285/305 setup as yours)

Tire might need some break-in according to the owner. (Same 285/305 setup as yours)

Interesting. That said, and given nobody else has the issue, and it wasn't there for the first 1000 miles... I don't think that's the problem. It just keeps getting worse, now, so I think something is very wrong with... something.

Reactions: jebinc
Last update on this. Of all things it IS the Active Road Noise Reduction. The reason I dismissed the suggestion of disabling this is because I reported this issue back in November, before ARNR was even released! The noise just started one day back in November… Now, this gives credence to the idea that some of these car software features are in shadow mode before being released. So Tesla broke my car in software, and now I have the ARNR update (as of a couple of weeks ago) I can now DISABLE the feature and the problem is solved.

I still can’t explain a couple of things:

1.) Why this noise exists in the first place. It’s awful.
2.) Why it was even louder with the windows down.

Anyway, praise be that this problem is fixed. At the same time, ARNR is broken, I guess.

@jebinc

Last update on this. Of all things it IS the Active Road Noise Reduction. The reason I dismissed the suggestion of disabling this is because I reported this issue back in November, before ARNR was even released! The noise just started one day back in November… Now, this gives credence to the idea that some of these car software features are in shadow mode before being released. So Tesla broke my car in software, and now I have the ARNR update (as of a couple of weeks ago) I can now DISABLE the feature and the problem is solved.

I still can’t explain a couple of things:

1.) Why this noise exists in the first place. It’s awful.
2.) Why it was even louder with the windows down.

Anyway, praise be that this problem is fixed. At the same time, ARNR is broken, I guess.

@jebinc

I was mulling over this last night, and realized that the ARNR is clearly adaptive, as it goes quite quiet over new asphalt, but was deafening me over concrete. So when I would put my windows down, - it was just making the effect LOUDER because the road noise was that much louder, so ARNR would jut compensate and deafen me further.

I'd love to understand why some cars experience this peculiarity. One of the reasons I got this car was because of promised ANC. While we ended up with ARNR, on my car at least it's 100% broken, and is doing the complete opposite of what it is designed to do.

Reactions: jebinc
As a final update, finally had my wife record the road noise today. Absolutely deafening, even over music. It even causes a fight/flight response now from me it's so bad. Decided if it is the wheels/tires it's certainly due to them being defective, but this may be a bearing issue or something else. Turn your volume up. Ouch.

Dry and 50F out. This is not normal.

Have you solved the problem of howling Michelin tires? I have another vehicle that makes the same sounds in the range of 145-148 km / h