Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if you want to check if you have a new mcu or not, one good idea is to look at the software version and publish what you see. I imagine intel-based builds would differ from non-Intel, so if it's a 18.6.1 with a different hash, or 18.10 with a different hash... you will know.

This is about the least intrusive method I imagine.

I pick my car up on Thurs and will check this.

Reactions: DragonRider
I would NOT expect the build numbers or the hash to deviate across platforms. That would cause a lot of customer confusion.

The builds have the drivers and kernels for all of them.
I agree. I've had various PCs over the years with Intel, AMD, etc. processors and they all had the same build of Windows, just with different drivers.

Reactions: boaterva
Not the same thing. Windows had different builds for different architectures: Alpha, MIPS, Intel, etc. I think now with Windows 10 the builds might be the same between x86/x64/ARM but I'm not positive.

It depends on what the hash actually represents. We were collectively hypothesizing earlier that it's a Git hash of a specific revision (because it's 7 digits and that's the default display length for Git). If so, you could certainly have builds for different CPU families that came from the same Git revision, and they'd have the same version string and hash.

If the hash is part of a checksum/HMAC of the object code / executables (say the first few digits of a SHA1 hash), then they'd be different for different CPU families.

I'm personally leaning towards the former but we're all guessing at this point.

Bruce.

Would it be possible for someone with a recent order try to dissect their order URL to see if a new 'MCU' code has shown up? Similar to what the community revealed with Autopilot (i.e. 'APE1', 'APF1' and 'APH0' etc.)

It depends on what the hash actually represents. We were collectively hypothesizing earlier that it's a Git hash of a specific revision (because it's 7 digits and that's the default display length for Git). If so, you could certainly have builds for different CPU families that came from the same Git revision, and they'd have the same version string and hash.

If the hash is part of a checksum/HMAC of the object code / executables (say the first few digits of a SHA1 hash), then they'd be different for different CPU families.

I'm personally leaning towards the former but we're all guessing at this point.

The hash is git checkpoint, there's no question about it. You can also theoretically build multiple architectures from a single point. BUT for whatever reason Tesla does not appear to be doing it (as evident on model 3 builds), and as such I think there's a high chance the hash would be different on updated arch mcu.

Sure, it's still circumstantial, need to see a car in person to know for sure ;)

Reactions: zmarty and jaguar36