Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X price cuts- yet again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't verify the accuracy of this data, but the Model X has never been a high seller. Even in the "peak times of yore" that seem to be viewed through rose-tinted glasses, they were selling below 30k annual units in the USA.

After Q1 this year, their SAAR for 2023 would be about 24k to 25k units. Sure, they can drop pricing to get more people into a Model X... but why would they if people are still buying at today's pricing with some Supercharging spiffs? I liked that one post about their sales volume going to zero overnight. The only way that'd happen is if buying a Model X also upgraded your Twitter account with a blue check mark.

2023 is YTD through Q1 2023.
View attachment 932088
2021 was a low volume year because Tesla stopped production, awaiting the roll out of the 'Refresh". People were waiting over a year to get delivery.

There is currently a $30k-40k premium for S/X vs 3/Y. This premium could be reduced to more like $20k and then prices would be more much more reasonable, especially with the tax credit for the X. The S/X used to be in the $70k-80k range and now with fsd being so expensive, it seems more feasible to keep margins up. Profiting from volume and fsd sales going forward was pretty much the theme of the last earnings call.

Assuming the CT has limited production this year, such a move may be necessary to meet the annual volume (and asp) company goal.

Reactions: cusetownusa
There is currently a $30k-40k premium for S/X vs 3/Y. This premium could be reduced to more like $20k and then prices would be more much more reasonable, especially with the tax credit for the X. The S/X used to be in the $70k-80k range and now with fsd being so expensive, it seems more feasible to keep margins up. Profiting from volume and fsd sales going forward was pretty much the theme of the last earnings call.

Assuming the CT has limited production this year, such a move may be necessary to meet the annual volume (and asp) company goal.

Your hindsight glasses need some calibration. Tesla has stepped away from offering anything less than the large battery pack since they moved the vehicle upmarket and kept it there. So you'll want to compare today's prices against what was a 90D or 100D. There wasn't a long duration of sustained "cheap" Model X.

From the article:
The 2016 Tesla Model X is not only expensive, it’s one of the most expensive SUVs on the market. The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for the base 75D is just under $90,000. Step up to the 90D and the price jumps to right around $100,000. And the P100D before options costs a mouth-watering $140,000....

From the article:
The 2017 Tesla Model X is one of the most expensive SUVs on the market. The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for the base 75D is just under $87,000. Step up to the 100D and the price jumps to right around $100,000. And the P100D before options costs a mouth-watering $140,000.

In 2017, they sold about 22k Model X in the USA. The car has never been a high-volume market share taker. Also, consider $100k for a 90D in 2016 would be $125,761 in today's money.

Your hindsight glasses need some calibration. Tesla has stepped away from offering anything less than the large battery pack since they moved the vehicle upmarket and kept it there. So you'll want to compare today's prices against what was a 90D or 100D. There wasn't a long duration of sustained "cheap" Model X.

From the article:
The 2016 Tesla Model X is not only expensive, it’s one of the most expensive SUVs on the market. The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for the base 75D is just under $90,000. Step up to the 90D and the price jumps to right around $100,000. And the P100D before options costs a mouth-watering $140,000....

From the article:
The 2017 Tesla Model X is one of the most expensive SUVs on the market. The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for the base 75D is just under $87,000. Step up to the 100D and the price jumps to right around $100,000. And the P100D before options costs a mouth-watering $140,000.

In 2017, they sold about 22k Model X in the USA. The car has never been a high-volume market share taker. Also, consider $100k for a 90D in 2016 would be $125,761 in today's money.
What about 2018 and 2019? I believe prices fell after the lines had been up and running. I have no specific reference but we all know the MS bottomed out at $69,420 and was in the low $70s before that, and I think the MX was ~$10k more, just like now. Maybe someone else can remember better than me.

The tax credit would create lots of demand and plenty of car buyers below $80k would qualify based on income.

What about 2018 and 2019? I believe prices fell after the lines had been up and running. I have no specific reference but we all know the MS bottomed out at $69,420 and was in the low $70s before that, and I think the MX was ~$10k more, just like now. Maybe someone else can remember better than me.

The tax credit would create lots of demand and plenty of car buyers below $80k would qualify based on income.

2018 wasn't much different than 2017. I think the problem comparing the original "base prices" is that in the past Tesla offered lower-kWh variants that pulled the vehicles down-market. The Model 3 and Model Y basically took those cheaper price-class slots, so the Model S/X today are now only up-market ones (100D or P100D equivalents).

In 2019 and entering 2020 the Model X 100D started at $85,000. Which in today's dollars would be about $100k. And that's basically what an entry 100D is priced at right now.

I don't count the pandemic pricing $80,000 window in 2020... because COVID = sucks.

The plenty of car buyers below $80k can get a Model Y. There's no need to firesale these Model X's since to what I've been saying over and over and over... 1,000 units in channel stock (without a sell-through buyer) is not something to panic over necessitating a massive price drop. Yet. Tesla would likely just stop making new Model X inventory before they contemplate dropping the price $20k.

2018 wasn't much different than 2017. I think the problem comparing the original "base prices" is that in the past Tesla offered lower-kWh variants that pulled the vehicles down-market. The Model 3 and Model Y basically took those cheaper price-class slots, so the Model S/X today are now only up-market ones (100D or P100D equivalents).

In 2019 and entering 2020 the Model X 100D started at $85,000. Which in today's dollars would be about $100k. And that's basically what an entry 100D is priced at right now.

I don't count the pandemic pricing $80,000 window in 2020... because COVID = sucks.

The plenty of car buyers below $80k can get a Model Y. There's no need to firesale these Model X's since to what I've been saying over and over and over... 1,000 units in channel stock (without a sell-through buyer) is not something to panic over necessitating a massive price drop. Yet.

Tesla would likely just stop making new Model X inventory before they contemplate dropping the price $20k.
Stopping production is, as we all know, antithetical to the mission so, while possible, is unlikely. A $20k price drop is definitely very unlikely but $5k or $10k per quarter? That would mostly just be a continuation of what we’ve already seen. Once they get close to $80k, might as well go below.

Inventory may be relatively low but it’s rising and will probably continue to do so without price cuts in this macro environment.

The Y is nice but lots of buyers would upgrade to X for $20k but not $40k.

Stopping production is, as we all know, antithetical to the mission so, while possible, is unlikely. A $20k price drop is definitely very unlikely but $5k or $10k per quarter? That would mostly just be a continuation of what we’ve already seen. Once they get close to $80k, might as well go below.

Inventory may be relatively low but it’s rising and will probably continue to do so without price cuts in this macro environment.

Actually the LR Y is $47k less than the X, add the $7500 tax credit and the difference is $55,000! For the performance Y it $53k less than the X Plaid. Add the tax credit and it is a $60,000! price difference. So it would literally be less expensive to buy 2 Y's vs 1 X. They need to refresh the X/S with nicer interiors and greater range. They should both have a range over 400 miles. This would help differentiate them vs the Y/3. They will still have to lower the price. 50% more than the Y/3 perhaps. 100% more - no.

Actually the LR Y is $47k less than the X, add the $7500 tax credit and the difference is $55,000! For the performance Y it $53k less than the X Plaid. Add the tax credit and it is a $60,000! price difference. So it would literally be less expensive to buy 2 Y's vs 1 X. They need to refresh the X/S with nicer interiors and greater range. They should both have a range over 400 miles. This would help differentiate them vs the Y/3. They will still have to lower the price. 50% more than the Y/3 perhaps. 100% more - no.
X/S just got refreshed and will always be low volume so refreshing ain’t happening anytime soon imo because those resources are now going to CT, etc. Makes more sense to just drop the price.

For anyone who hasn’t driven the refresh X vs the old ones, the difference is vast re: interior/performance/efficiency.

X/S just got refreshed and will always be low volume so refreshing ain’t happening anytime soon imo because those resources are now going to CT, etc. Makes more sense to just drop the price.

For anyone who hasn’t driven the refresh X vs the old ones, the difference is vast re: interior/performance/efficiency.

It only makes sense to drop the price if there's a ton of backlog. And 1,000 units in channel stock is not a massive backlog to warrant a knee-jerk 25% pricing action. With a SAAR of 25k, the Model X sell-through seems healthy compared to previous years. It wouldn't make any sense to accommodate some low-ball-bargain-hunters on TMC to sabatoge the fairly stable lifecycle performance on a historically low-ish volume vehicle.

@GoVols!, if you want to see crackhead behavior, you should have seen how some of the corporate OEMs were handling incentives during the '08 financial crisis. They were slashing net pricing by just spot-shooting some insaneo incentives to clear channel stock. The stuff that Tesla is doing lately feels like crackhead behavior, but it's nowhere near what true corporate crackheads will do when their jobs are on the line and they gotta move the metal through the channel.

Edit: PS, I agree the refresh units are awesome (and the Yoke!). It's usually better to improve a product and upsell rather than slash pricing. I just wish Tesla had better service to go with their refreshed products hah. This loaner 2017 100D I'm stuck with right now makes me depressed.

Last edited:
If the X was a 2x better car than the Y, then I’d pay for it. The issue is that the car is not worth the money.

Keep it up Tesla….

IMG_2660.jpeg

This is a very astute observation. Thanks!
Well its not just "income" range for credit qualification but its AGI ie after deductions, credits and tax benefits and you can use lowest of current or past year..

so many families and individuals with over $300k/150k income do qualify for EV credit!

IRS text
The credit is available to individuals and their businesses.

To qualify, you must:

• Buy it for your own use, not for resale
  • Use it primarily in the U.S.
In addition, your modified adjusted gross income (AGI) may not exceed:

• $300,000 for married couples filing jointly
  • $225,000 for heads of households
  • $150,000 for all other filers
You can use your modified AGI from the year you take delivery of the vehicle or the year before, whichever is less. If your modified AGI is below the threshold in 1 of the two years, you can claim the credit.

There is currently a $30k-40k premium for S/X vs 3/Y. This premium could be reduced to more like $20k and then prices would be more much more reasonable, especially with the tax credit for the X.

True. Hard to justify $40k for a 50mm (2") roomier interior dimensions and a clunky drivetrain. I bet these will sell under CT prices when CT comes out.

That's HILARIOUS. I had to go look for myself to see if it was real omg
Lol.. its feels exactly same cost recovery measure as when EM had put Twitter's coffee machines for sale.

BTW may be "Yokerring" is around the corner but for a price $499. Lets wait and watch the $rama.
Image credit insideevs article. New And Improved Tesla Yoke Reportedly Coming Soon

Attachments

• IMG_0408.jpeg
    IMG_0408.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 36
Is it really only 2" interior dimension difference?
It's 2" in pretty much every dimension, which adds up. Frunk, trunk well, trunk, 3rd row head and shoulder room, etc...it really is a bigger car it just doesn't show up in some of the specs like rear legroom. The extra width impacts space in the whole car front to back (center seat in the back row is wider) yada yada. It matters if Y is juuuust a little too cramped for your use, but on paper it looks like almost nothing

When I purchased my 2022 X it was priced as $79,990 + $10,000 for long range (100kWh) battery. Had to wait a year for it to be delivered.

Luxury cars are rarely "twice the car" as their higher volume lower level production.

X costs more because low production keep it from using mega casting cost technology.

Some of the extra cost comes from all aluminum chassis, adaptable air suspension, larger battery, higher performance, more noise surressing insulation, larger tires/brakes, 2nd drivers display, motorized tilting center display, powered doors, active noise supression, falcon wing doors, 5,000 lb towing, ceiling speakers for Sony Atmos, rear seat video and environmental controls, light and action show, 6 seat executive seating option, ride height control + auto leveling, unique panorama windshield offers front and rear seat passengers a unique view to the world, limited production for exclusivity.

Wealthy people do not feel this if an over priced car, compared to similar performance/sized offerings from Mercedes, BMW, Lexus etc.

X also qualifies for Section 179 business deductions plus instant 100% deductibility, those with profitable small businesses will find their net costs being similar to buying a Model 3/Y.

Tesla master plan was to use a limited production roadster sales to produce $ to develop a larger, higher volume profitable sedan, which would provide the funds to develop a less expensive even higher production smaller car. Be aware that without the success of S/X there would never have been the more affordable 3/Y. Be thankful tha S/X were successful.