Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not on the Plaid.
You have to put the little car or credit card on the console or it won't start.
It even gives you a message to do that.
No matter if I put it in neutral or Park even with the door open it still goes Car Off within a few seconds like maybe 10.
I suppose it's not a big deal but not going Car Off if I just step out to get the mail would be nice
Just link your phone Bluetooth and you’ll no longer use the fob, your car will unlock when
you approach, lock when you leave, that’s it. The ICE concept of ‘start’ doesn’t not exist. It’s on/off like a light switch.

Just link your phone Bluetooth and you’ll no longer use the fob, your car will unlock when
you approach, lock when you leave, that’s it. The ICE concept of ‘start’ doesn’t not exist. It’s on/off like a light switch.
Yes I did that now that my Tesla app is working.
I set it to open all the door handles when I walk by as I like to put small packages or groceries in the back seat
or if my wife is coming along.
If I'm in the car and want to open all the doors I press and hold the driver door exit button for 2 seconds.
I'll keep the fob on my keychain if I want to open the hatch or hood to get to the frunk.

Yes I did that now that my Tesla app is working.
I set it to open all the door handles when I walk by as I like to put small packages or groceries in the back seat
or if my wife is coming along.
If I'm in the car and want to open all the doors I press and hold the driver door exit button for 2 seconds.
I'll keep the fob on my keychain if I want to open the hatch or hood to get to the frunk.
You can do all those functions from the app, including even giving someone else access to your car. Not normal, but odd things happen. Several years ago my Tesla needed service while I was in a Brazilian airport awaiting a flight. When the service tech called me I just gave permission for keyless driving. Problem solved! It takes a while to learn the enormous variety of customization you can make for your Plaid.

You can do all those functions from the app, including even giving someone else access to your car. Not normal, but odd things happen. Several years ago my Tesla needed service while I was in a Brazilian airport awaiting a flight. When the service tech called me I just gave permission for keyless driving. Problem solved! It takes a while to learn the enormous variety of customization you can make for your Plaid.
Well I'm usually carrying my keys that I have 10 of for my various things like my older F350 Pickup and the BMW Transponder so it's easier than pulling my phone out especially in the blazing sun that washes it out.
I've only had my car for a week now so I haven't figured it all out yet but I'm getting there.

You don’t have to touch your phone. It’s Bluetooth. You just walk within about 8’ of it and the doors magically unlock. Want to open the trunk or drunk, then yeah, whip out the phone and tap the button on the app. Or program Siri to do all that with voice command.

You don’t have to touch your phone. It’s Bluetooth. You just walk within about 8’ of it and the doors magically unlock. Want to open the trunk or drunk, then yeah, whip out the phone and tap the button on the app. Or program Siri to do all that with voice command.

I have the Bluetooth set so the door handles open when I walk by.
It's great.:D
I passed on Siri and Alexa since I don't want to talk to my house (or my car) ;)

Last edited:
I also built a Sub Box

Connecter terminals for the dual coil Sub

Damn..I didn't see this until I was searching for AL Priority install for my old Model S. I'm also in Buffalo (Amherst by UB North campus).

I would have love to corroborate/brainstorm on audio install for my MS before I sent my off to the audio shop near Toronto. No audio shop in Buffalo wanted to a Tesla.

I'd like to listen/check out your audio system and see other goodies that you have done. My next upgrade is a AL Priority laser system.

Damn..I didn't see this until I was searching for AL Priority install for my old Model S. I'm also in Buffalo (Amherst by UB North campus).

I would have love to corroborate/brainstorm on audio install for my MS before I sent my off to the audio shop near Toronto. No audio shop in Buffalo wanted to a Tesla.

I'd like to listen/check out your audio system and see other goodies that you have done. My next upgrade is a AL Priority laser system.
I was only the second guy to hook up subs in my BMW iX M60.
Another guy had figured it out for himself and we chatted.
He showed my where he hooked up the power and switch wire to the rear fuse panel.
The BMW amp is buried in the driver 1/4 and I hooked up everything except the 2 LC2i Line Convertor inputs.
I took it to Darylls and Chris there was very knowledgeable and had no problems getting to the amp hooking my stuff.
It all only took him 3 hours which was great as I was having difficulties getting to it..

He hooked the LC2i for the Skar 800watt dual coil subs up to the speaker wires at the amp to the under seat BMW Subs and the Tweeters to the one's in the doors.
The 2 subs in the BMW using the CT 600-1000 watt Amp are so awesome that even with the gain up 2/3 at the amp and the level control only about 1/2 way it's like an earthquake when Sirrius does their between song jingles.

For the MS Plaid I decided to go with 1 Skar 1000 watt sub with a CT Mono 700 watt amp.
It will be plenty.
Chris said using a bridged 4 channel CT Amp like he did in my BMW was problematic with dual gains for a single dual coil sub
so I got the Mono Block

The CT Amps are very compact and put out lots of power

Chris is looking into doing my MS Tesla on forums he posts on but there are companies that sell sub kits for Teslas so I'm confident he will figure it out.
I'll be seeing him next week to touch base.
He says an extra small battery is better than a Cap like I used in the BMW.

I also want to hook up the AL Priority setup to my MS and maybe the BMW.

Here's a picture of some other Tesla sub hookup.so it's something that has been done before.

I don't think I'll be adding extra tweeters to the MS as the sound is better than the B&W system in the M60.

Last edited:
I was only the second guy to hook up subs in my BMW iX M60.
Another guy had figured it out for himself and we chatted.
He showed my where he hooked up the power and switch wire to the rear fuse panel.
The BMW amp is buried in the driver 1/4 and I hooked up everything except the 2 LC2i Line Convertor inputs.
I took it to Darylls and Chris there was very knowledgeable and had no problems hooking my stuff to the BMW Amp.

He hooked the LC2i for the Skar 800watt dual coil subs up to the speaker wires at the amp to the under seat BMW Subs and the Tweeters to the one's in the doors.
The 2 subs in the BMW using the CT 600-1000 watt Amp are so awesome that even with the gain up 2/3 at the amp and the level control only about 1/2 way it's like an earthquake when Sirrius does their between song jingles.

For the MS Plaid I decided to go with 1 Skar 1000 watt sub with a CT Mono 700 watt amp.
It will be plenty.
Chris said using a bridged 4 channel CT Amp like he did in my BMW was problematic with dual gains for a single dual coil sub
so I got the Mono Block

The CT Amps are very compact and put out lots of power

Chris is looking into doing my MS Tesla on forums he posts on but there are companies that sell sub kits for Teslas so I'm confident he will figure it out.
I'll be seeing him next week to touch base.
He says an extra small battery is better than a Cap like I used in the BMW.

I also want to hook up the AL Priority setup to my MS and maybe the BMW.

Here's a picture of some other Tesla sub hookup.so it's something that has been done before.

Daryll and Chris? Who are they? Guys at Custom Radio? I know a Chris from Custom Radio. He's very good.

I didn't go with NVX subs at all since people who bought them, upgrade the actual sub from the fiberglass enclosure. Last year, I DIY some audio upgrade to my car and was PIA (Another audio upgrade thread for UHFS (2016)). My final sub setup is a single 10 AudioMobile Evo (custom box from an audio shop in Jacksonville, Florida).

My ALP with two Rx Sensors and 1 Tx Sensor up front and NetRadar behind the bumper.

ALP.03.jpeg

Reactions: siamnet
Daryll and Chris? Who are they? Guys at Custom Radio? I know a Chris from Custom Radio. He's very good.

I didn't go with NVX subs at all since people who bought them, upgrade the actual sub from the fiberglass enclosure. Last year, I DIY some audio upgrade to my car and was PIA (Another audio upgrade thread for UHFS (2016)). My final sub setup is a single 10 AudioMobile Evo (custom box from an audio shop in Jacksonville, Florida).
Chris works at Darylls Car Audio.
They have 2 locations but I don't know if there is a Daryll there now.
I didn't go with NVX but was just pointing out that sub kits are available.
I like building my own boxes.
I made my own box piece by piece in the trunk space.
This way I don't lose any floor space.
Some of my other boxes.

2004 Lincoln LS
This one was fun

2002 Corvette

Jeep SRT

My BMW Box is like an upside down Wedding Layer Cake
This one took a little longer being about 16 pieces vs 6 for the MS.

Last edited:
Not on the Plaid.
You have to put the little car or credit card on the console or it won't start.
It even gives you a message to do that.
No matter if I put it in neutral or Park even with the door open it still goes Car Off within a few seconds like maybe 10.
I suppose it's not a big deal but not going Car Off if I just step out to get the mail would be nice
That's interesting. My 2015 Model S (pre-credit card) seems to have that feature you want. I get out of the car, leave the door cracked open, radio/hvac stay on, car is put in park. But then I just get back in, hit the brake, shift and go. I carry my key fob with me all the time.

That's interesting. My 2015 Model S (pre-credit card) seems to have that feature you want. I get out of the car, leave the door cracked open, radio/hvac stay on, car is put in park. But then I just get back in, hit the brake, shift and go. I carry my key fob with me all the time.
All is well.
As soon as I put my foot on the brake pedal the car goes back to on.

Reactions: jmcdono362
Chris works at Darylls Car Audio.
They have 2 locations but I don't know if there is a Daryll there now.
I didn't go with NVX but was just pointing out that sub kits are available.
I like building my own boxes.
I made my own box piece by piece in the trunk space.
This way I don't lose any floor space.
Some of my other boxes.

2004 Lincoln LS
This one was fun

2002 Corvette

Jeep SRT

My BMW Box is like an upside down Wedding Layer Cake
This one took a little longer being about 16 pieces vs 6 for the MS.

Holy crap, that's very involved with the BMW trunk box (i.e., many layers). It is nice to have a shop with all the tools to that. However, even if I had access to those tools, I couldn't build a box that complicated.

Man, I could have gotten your advice on a box build for my trunk. I ended up getting this shop in FL who utilized a CNC wood cutting machine (fab stack process) for my corner sub box instead of hiring someone to build a fiberglass box.

Holy crap, that's very involved with the BMW trunk box (i.e., many layers). It is nice to have a shop with all the tools to that. However, even if I had access to those tools, I couldn't build a box that complicated.

Man, I could have gotten your advice on a box build for my trunk. I ended up getting this shop in FL who utilized a CNC wood cutting machine (fab stack process) for my corner sub box instead of hiring someone to build a fiberglass box.

I made my boxes piece by piece all for the trunk floors.
A side box can be done if it's flat to the car.
You have to cut patterns and wood piece by piece.
Side boxes are complicated.
Put 2 pieces together then continue with the next ones.

Reactions: siamnet
So I put my sideskirts, mudlfaps and rear spoiler on.
I didn't like the CF look so I painted them with black Awlgrip Marine paint that dries shiny.
I like it more subtle.
Got the good 1 piece side skirts instead of the craptastic 3 piece junk.
Painted the Amazon CF pattern mudflaps as well
It's a 2 part polyurethane that is really tough.
They match perfectly.
My apologies for not washing the car.

Put his rear wing on instead of the smaller one that came with it.

I didn't like any of the front spoilers that are available ie stick out way too far so I made a pattern by lowering the front end onto a table

in my lift room.
I can cut a piece of melamine to make a quick 1 time mold with some edging and Plasticine.
We mold things out of fiberglass.
Maybe in a few days I'll continue.

I also figured out that if I turn the J Wheel upside down it makes it easier to get in and out of the car.

Last edited:
So I put my sideskirts, mudlfaps and rear spoiler on.
I didn't like the CF look so I painted them with black Awlgrip Marine paint that dries shiny.
I like it more subtle.
Got the good 1 piece side skirts instead of the craptastic 3 piece junk.
Painted the Amazon CF pattern mudflaps as well
It's a 2 part polyurethane that is really tough.
They match perfectly.
My apologies for not washing the car.

Put his rear wing on instead of the smaller one that came with it.

I didn't like any of the front spoilers that are available ie stick out way too far so I made a pattern by lowering the front end onto a table

in my lift room.
I can cut a piece of melamine to make a quick 1 time mold with some edging and Plasticine.
We mold things out of fiberglass.
Maybe in a few days I'll continue.

I also figured out that if I turn the J Wheel upside down it makes it easier to get in and out of the car.

Wow, I need to come check out your shop one of these days !!!
Let me know how the front spoiler turns out.