Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New L3 chargers in Eureka CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone explain this??? (sry crappy pics)
new L3 chargers at the mall.

specs - ( I think it is all fed by 6 x 175 kW cabinets)

there are 4 double chargers.
top pic - 2 X 350 CSS facing camera
2 X 150 CSS on back side

2nd pic 1 X 50 CHAdeMO
1 X 150 CSS facing cam
2 X 350 CSS back side.

seems a bit crazy for 4 charge parking spaces but I guess I kind of understand the layout after thinking about it a bit more, although it does still suck. You can use the 350 from any of the 4 spaces or 150 anywhere but just 50 on either side of the one block. which actually sucks since now you only have 3/4 actually delivering >50kW

IMG_2037.JPG
IMG_2038.JPG

Can someone explain this??? (sry crappy pics)
Only one of the two cables on each charger can be used at a time, so what you have is four chargers: 2x350kW CCS, 1x150kW CCS, and 1x150kW CCS or 50kW Chademo. Here's the explanation from their web site:

"The dual charging cables are not designed to charge two vehicles at the same time, but rather to easily reach your car’s charging port—no matter where it’s located."

Wouldn’t you be a little confused as an ev driver as to which charger you should use? I mean I’d go for the higher power one if my car could take it but what SOC would you need to be at for it to make a difference between 150 and 350? This seems like a pretty funky solution
You have to have a car with a high voltage charging and battery system in order to get anything over 150kW. Porsche Taycan is likely to be the first car available in the USA to take advantage of it.

Also, I'm pretty sure the one charger with the 50kW CHAdeMO plug can deliver 150kW if you use the CCS plug. They originally said that they will increase the CHAdeMO power via software update after "additional testing". Who knows when and if that will ever happen. The new Leaf Plus and the original Soul EV are the only OEM cars that will be able to make use of the higher power. The CHAdeMO cable they're using is rated for 200A / 500VDC, so in theory it could be dialed up to 100kW.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
You have to have a car with a high voltage charging and battery system in order to get anything over 150kW.
Well, supposedly the European Model 3 will be able to charge at up to 200kW from CCS. CCS 2.0 cables (which is what EA uses on the 350kW chargers) allow up to 500A, so at (a little less than) 400V like in the current Teslas, you could theoretically achieve up to about 200kW if there was a Tesla with CCS support in the US.
Also, I'm pretty sure the one charger with the 50kW CHAdeMO plug can deliver 150kW if you use the CCS plug.
Yes. The chargers are labeled as such.

Well, supposedly the European Model 3 will be able to charge at up to 200kW from CCS. CCS 2.0 cables (which is what EA uses on the 350kW chargers) allow up to 500A, so at (a little less than) 400V like in the current Teslas, you could theoretically achieve up to about 200kW if there was a Tesla with CCS support in the US.
I believe that there is about a 50:50 chance that we will see the first Taycan delivered and charging on an Electrify America charger before a (all retail, not Tesla prototype) Model 3 can charge at more than 150kW on an Electrify America charger.

I believe that there is about a 50:50 chance that we will see the first Taycan delivered and charging on an Electrify America charger before a (all retail, not Tesla prototype) Model 3 can charge at more than 150kW on an Electrify America charger.
Yeah, that's very well possible (although there are rumors that the early Taycan models will not have the full charge speed yet). My point was that you don't necessarily need higher voltages to be able to benefit from the >150kW chargers.

Yeah, that's very well possible (although there are rumors that the early Taycan models will not have the full charge speed yet). My point was that you don't necessarily need higher voltages to be able to benefit from the >150kW chargers.
And yet, cars that are currently available that could potentially take advantage, like the e-Tron, don't. I think the e-Tron is limited to 350A. Its higher voltage battery (108S config vs. 96S used by most others) allows it to actually reach 150kW before tapering at what they call 80% SOC.