Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nvidia inside: Hands on with Audi, Lamborghini, and Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something I've wondered about for a while: The center console is Tegra3 based, and that chip has 4 main cores, and a 5th special "low power" core designed to efficiently run background tasks using very little power (think a phone-type device that's asleep, yet still talking to the network to check for calls, texts, etc...).

I wonder if Tesla/Nvidia leverages that at all for putting the Tesla to sleep. I was rather hoping that you'd be able to interact with the car via the smartphone app without having to fully wake it up, but it appears not...

Last edited:
I wonder if Tesla/Nvidia leverages that at all for putting the Tesla to sleep. I was rather hoping that you'd be able to interact with the car via the smartphone app without having to fully wake it up, but it appears not...
...At the moment. Having been involved in many hardware/software integration efforts, I can attest that the software always lags the hardware capabilities. Recall that the original sleep mode was not up to snuff and was pulled. Then we got it back, but it still isn't that great. Perhaps, in due time, the software will be able to take full advantage of the hardware's capabilities.

...At the moment. Having been involved in many hardware/software integration efforts, I can attest that the software always lags the hardware capabilities. Recall that the original sleep mode was not up to snuff and was pulled. Then we got it back, but it still isn't that great. Perhaps, in due time, the software will be able to take full advantage of the hardware's capabilities.

Indeed. The other factor, I suspect, is many of the systems that actually implement the BMS, etc... aren't running on the center console itself, but on a dedicated embedded systems elsewhere in the car, and thus THOSE systems have to be fully awakened for the Tegra-based systems to pass on status...

I'm hoping that as Tesla moves to newer generation CPUs to drive more center screen features, us existing owners will have a relatively cheap (in Tesla terms at least!) way to keep up. If the Tegra chipset can be swapped out, then future web browsers and apps could run faster.

I'm skeptical, however. Intel CPUs for example introduce new sockets with generation jumps and I'd bet the future Tegra 6 or whatever will need faster bus connections etc.

That all said I just want Airplay! Any examples of Airplay enabled Tegra 3 chipset driven systems?