Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update to my P100DL: after charging to 100% and in max battery ready mode I was able to get 574kw. Last week, when I tested and only got 515kw I was at 69%. In the past I was able to get 575 kw at 63% battery so I was very concerned to only see 515kw at 69% battery but I do feel much better to have seen 574kw today even though that was at 100%. I suspect the new update (17.7.2) did lower my batteries output per battery % at a greater percentage in comparison to pre 17.7.2.

I plan to take my X to the track later this month and I will report my numbers after.

Update to my P100DL: after charging to 100% and in max battery ready mode I was able to get 574kw. Last week, when I tested and only got 515kw I was at 69%. In the past I was able to get 575 kw at 63% battery so I was very concerned to only see 515kw at 69% battery but I do feel much better to have seen 574kw today even though that was at 100%. I suspect the new update (17.7.2) did lower my batteries output per battery % at a greater percentage in comparison to pre 17.7.2.

I plan to take my X to the track later this month and I will report my numbers after.

Was that with or without launch mode?

How many others have seen 'cooling' come on, and when? I've seen it, but not even close to immediately after 'Ready'.

Cooling comes on for me on hot days right after an aggressive 11 second run . I think/speculate that hot days may yield better performance to get the battery above the mere MBP temp and right at the limit where cooling is required.

Power output is a marketed value

where is the kW at a given SOC marketed?

Just because you drive like a grandma doesn't mean you get to judge those of us who actually intend to get performance out of a performance car.

This grandma has her timeslips posted on dragtimes -- in my case the fastest timeslip photo for the 1/4 mile for a P85DL. 11.318.

How did you do?

I have never gone to a track.. so I have no idea.

You shld go -- and take hostman.

Is it possible that they fixed your limit with the latest software update? Did you get an update between those tests? I'm on 17.6.15.

Reactions: hostman
I was close to pulling the trigger on a P100DL until I started reading this site. I ordered a P90D and cancelled the 'P' in my one week time frame. Glad I did now. Stopped at Naples, Florida today to get an idea of a trade in on my 2015 118222 that listed for $105,000 that i took delivery of Dec 28, 2015. $67,000 with 18,500 miles. Guess when I am ready to trade I will attempt to sell on the outside. It lives most of the year in Key West, ie no real cold, and has never been in a car wash.

I was expecting a response from myvSA around this time. So I emailed for status on my power loss issue. No response yet.

Since they are trying to solve the issue with the battery by reducing power using the software? And only providing max power under LM with MB? Tesla is in a bad spot. If they give the power back they will see lots of warranty issues. I am guessing they don't even have a way to fix the problem in a cost effective way. Maybe it would be best for everyone if they do as @azdryheat requested. Take back ludicrous mode. Refund the $10k. Strip off the underscore.
The owner finally gets the car paid for. And Tesla doesn't have to deal with a future of battery replacements.

If Tesla does not address this issue. I will become the LM addict. I am not going to let Tesla use this current design to protect them from warranty issues.
Tesla should just punt. This has been a failed experiment that should have never made it to production release.

I was expecting a response from myvSA around this time. So I emailed for status on my power loss issue. No response yet.

Since they are trying to solve the issue with the battery by reducing power using the software? And only providing max power under LM with MB? Tesla is in a bad spot. If they give the power back they will see lots of warranty issues. I am guessing they don't even have a way to fix the problem in a cost effective way. Maybe it would be best for everyone if they do as @azdryheat requested. Take back ludicrous mode. Refund the $10k. Strip off the underscore.
The owner finally gets the car paid for. And Tesla doesn't have to deal with a future of battery replacements.

If Tesla does not address this issue. I will become the LM addict. I am not going to let Tesla use this current design to protect them from warranty issues.
Tesla should just punt. This has been a failed experiment that should have never made it to production release.

I think there several possible solutions they could think of, but I find this one lacking. This doesn't cover the premium to go from a 90D to a P90Dl, I'd rather take the 20-30 extra miles in a 90D over a non-ludicrous P90D - a car I never wanted to own.

If the P100D pack was truly engineered to spec for warranty life, they should offer cheap pack replacements, giving the existing packs a second life before ludicrous kills them. You'd think they'd be able to get at least 50% of the value out of them. However, given that past communications on the topic and the silence about buying an upgrade for $20k+tax, I don't have confidence this is actually the case.

Since they are trying to solve the issue with the battery by reducing power using the software? And only providing max power under LM with MB? Tesla is in a bad spot. If they give the power back they will see lots of warranty issues.

im getting my battery replaced currently, ive used LM and MB about as many times as i can count with one hand. never in combination.
i have a pretty good feeling this is not the end.

It always gets my hackles up when people talk about getting a $10K refund on Ludicrous and suggest that that would make everything right.

Tesla valued the Ludicrous feature upgrade at $10K, but that doesn't mean the car is worth $10K less to whomever purchased it if it doesn't have Ludicrous. Some people may not have purchased the car at all without Ludicrous.

The same argument applies when people talk about refunds for various autopilot features for which a premium was paid.

Just because Tesla puts a value on some part of the car when they sell it does not mean returning that amount and eliminating the feature makes a buyer whole. I have trouble understanding how people can think that way.