Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] P3 Free Lifetime Unlimited Supercharging vs. $5,000 Refund

FUSC vs. $5,000 refund

• I am P3 owner, and I would choose PUP $5,000 refund over FUSC.

Votes: 161 44.1%
  • I am P3 owner, and I would choose FUSC over PUP $5,000 refund

Votes: 32 8.8%
  • I am not P3 owner, but if I were given a choice, I would choose PUP $5,000 refund over FUSC

Votes: 142 38.9%
  • I am not P3 owner, but if I were given a choice, I would choose FUSC over PUP $5000 refund

Votes: 30 8.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Tesla is still sorting things out.

But I think I read in the forum some people got message from their SC that they get $5k refund. Well, take it grain with salt at the moment as official statements didn't seem to come out yet.

So do you think it’s Tesla readying their systems to automate 5000 refunds or they are going to offer a different deal?

I suppose I'll have to vote for the $5K refund. The nearest supercharger is 600 miles away (unless I cross the border, in which case it's only 210 miles distant). If Tesla's promise to build superchargers across Canada comes to fruition soon, I might change my mind.

As much as I’d like the comfort of knowing I can supercharge for free. I’ve only supercharged twice in the month I’ve had the car...and both times was just to test supercharging and get comfortable using it. I don’t take many long distance road trips either. So realistically it doesn’t make financial sense to keep the supercharging as I’ll probably never even come close to breaking even, as most of my charging will be done at home.

Last edited:
How does your ROI work when you also have to compete against 5000 thrown into a Vanguard total market fund?
It is a bit harder to calculate, because it depends on how much you drive in a year, which determines how much you dip into your $5K principle.

Reasoning:
It is compounded interest for the 5K investment, however you have to with draw from that fund to pay for electricity if you drive too much to do an apples to apples comparison. So the $5K principle goes down after some miles meaning the interest earned is less as time passes and miles build up. So depending on your driving habits, you can be negative.

The only way to sustain the electricity cost is to drive very little. The math should be easy enough to calculate. See below.

Assuming 8-10% APR on the account (dont expect this rate in my opinion because of the recent market turbulence going forward. It might be negative for flat in the coming years) you should gain around extra $400-$500 each year to drive assuming you never dipped into the $5K. Factor in vampire drain for the year, you are looking at around $280-$350 for electricity left for driving. After using charge inefficiency and such this means driving around 4200 miles per year. If you drive more than this, then you will be dipping into the principle for sure and you will be in the situation before of hot earning as much as you think.

So conclusion is for those who drive their car very little, it can make sense and be even profitable to refund the $5K provided the market is going up and they invest the full $5K and not spend it somewhere else.

I suppose I'll have to vote for the $5K refund. The nearest supercharger is 600 miles away (unless I cross the border, in which case it's only 210 miles distant). If Tesla's promise to build superchargers across Canada comes to fruition soon, I might change my mind.

If the nearest superchargers so far away & don't have many roadtrips, it makes more sense to get $5,000 refund.

For those who don't have charging system/garage and have frequent roadtrips and work is based on driving, it makes more sense to get FUSC.

Also those who enjoy charging and have a lot of time at expense and idle around Tesla SC and like to taste the free coffee may also lean toward the FUSC over the rebate.

Good chance Elon could have got criticized by the Board.

Something tells me they planned it in advance. I doubt Elon's tweet was a spur of the moment item.

There was probably a lot of discussion. They wanted to lower the price and how to do it to spur demand. They also knew that current owners would feel ripped off with a big price drop a couple of months after release. They probably decided to make it right, but did not have the infrastructure set up to do refunds and knew it would probably take a month or two to get it done. I bet they even calculated the percentage they think will want a refund vs supercharging (i.e. they can see who the big users already are).

So, they decide to go ahead with the price cut and will let Elon handle the current customers via twitter. That way it looks like it is spur of the moment and covers up the refund time where everyone would be griping that they still had not received their check.

So do you think it’s Tesla readying their systems to automate 5000 refunds or they are going to offer a different deal?

Different deal is possible, but it can further complicate the mess as it takes time to train all the new employees about the recent pricing fiasco. Let's say Tesla says the owner can choose EAP or FSD. Some rep will say "yes, it is possible." and some will say "no, it's not possible."

Then we will have another new thread in TMC with many :mad: people how they are discriminated from others. Never ending story.

Too much too soon, Pandora Box indeed.

Something tells me they planned it in advance. I doubt Elon's tweet was a spur of the moment item.

There was probably a lot of discussion. They wanted to lower the price and how to do it to spur demand. They also knew that current owners would feel ripped off with a big price drop a couple of months after release. They probably decided to make it right, but did not have the infrastructure set up to do refunds and knew it would probably take a month or two to get it done. I bet they even calculated the percentage they think will want a refund vs supercharging (i.e. they can see who the big users already are).

So, they decide to go ahead with the price cut and will let Elon handle the current customers via twitter. That way it looks like it is spur of the moment and covers up the refund time where everyone would be griping that they still had not received their check.

Very possible. But we will find out soon.

If Tesla refunds people promptly and accommodate other deals to appease P3D owners, I can see they had planned ahead.

If Tesla takes forever to process the refund, good chance Tesla/Elon didn't cogitate enough to predict the angry mob and the backlash. Or at least didn't realize how big and loud this angry mob could have been.

I doubt anything is that well planed at Tesla. That company seems to be flying by the seat of its pants which is basically on Elon's whims.

Reactions: MXWing
OP here.

After days of some thought, I am leaning toward keeping FUSC.

Sure, monetary value alone, getting $5K back makes more sense. But...

1) Someone mentioned in another thread that FUSC fee can go up and highly unpredictable what the rate is.
2) Some people mention they would get EAP and I thought it was a good idea but this is something I can always add anything. However, once you drop out FUSC, you can't add it back most likely. Besides I didn't add EAP in the beginning because I wanted to drive this car. I have other Teslas if I need EAP.
3) I determined to do a lot of roadtrip in a few years. Who knows, frequent long distance travels can add up sizable $$ without FUSC.
4) I like the psychological effect of not worrying about charging and the cost. You charge whenever you need without worrying payment or late fee etc.
5) People think supercharging is waste of time, but normally I charge it on the way to work or home. Moreover, I spend the time working with my laptop while charging. Or take some rest and get power nap. Or sometimes take some lunch at the restaurant nearby the superchargers.

For those who have solar roofs and powerwalls and don't do road trip much, $5K is way to go. Like some people said, I know it will takes a few years to break it even, but I plan to keep my Model 3 more than 10+ years.

I will probably make more sound decision once Tesla make the final statement on this refund issue.

OP here.

After days of some thought, I am leaning toward keeping FUSC.

Sure, monetary value alone, getting $5K back makes more sense. But...

1) Someone mentioned in another thread that FUSC fee can go up and highly unpredictable what the rate is.
2) Some people mention they would get EAP and I thought it was a good idea but this is something I can always add anything. However, once you drop out FUSC, you can't add it back most likely. Besides I didn't add EAP in the beginning because I wanted to drive this car. I have other Teslas if I need EAP.
3) I determined to do a lot of roadtrip in a few years. Who knows, frequent long distance travels can add up sizable $$ without FUSC.
4) I like the psychological effect of not worrying about charging and the cost. You charge whenever you need without worrying payment or late fee etc.
5) People think supercharging is waste of time, but normally I charge it on the way to work or home. Moreover, I spend the time working with my laptop while charging. Or take some rest and get power nap. Or sometimes take some lunch at the restaurant nearby the superchargers.

For those who have solar roofs and powerwalls and don't do road trip much, $5K is way to go. Like some people said, I know it will takes a few years to break it even, but I plan to keep my Model 3 more than 10+ years.

I will probably make more sound decision once Tesla make the final statement on this refund issue.

1) Tesla is committed to electrifying transportation. They're not going to make supercharging overly expensive. The cost will go up with inflation, but probably not more.

3) EAP on road trips is a real dream! For me, it made the difference between arriving exhausted, grumpy, and miserable, or arriving feeling good. Well worth the cost of charging.

4) I think I spent about $75US to drive about 1,100 miles. The cost of charging was not a worry. And late fees were not a concern because they charged my card automatically.

Of course, someone who drives a lot more than I do might find it pays off, but the more you drive the more EAP pays off as well.

Another interesting observation.

I thought P3 owners make up 10% of the sales of all Model 3.

Based on poll alone, it looks like P3 owners relatively more active in TMC? ;)

Could be. Or owners of non-P3 maybe didn't bother with this thread because of the reference to P3 in the title. I think I'm fairly active here, but I probably read fewer than 1% of threads.

FWIW, I'd have gotten the P3D if it had been available. I got the First Production model because I didn't want to wait.

Reactions: whatthe2
If Tesla’s goal is to get early believer/buyers on par with current day buyers, they should at the very least...
Refund $5k PLUS $500 Sales Tax
And
Provide 6 mos free supercharging.

If they are going to satisfy us early friends, they should go all the way and not throw us less than currently available.
Great car but this debacle leaves me feeling used.
My .02