Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Initial Problems with the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's them go is actually pretty good decision. The current model x quality is by far the worst i have seen in any car regardless of brands. From Kia, Hyundai to Lamborghini and Ferrari. You name it. All the good things about the X are all created by Elon's vision to be technological advanced. The execution is very poor. Let's take seals for example, no other car makers have such misaligned doors like how we have on the X. Don't get started on the doors. They are awesome when they work, but a hazard if they don't. I love Tesla, love the innovation, love the doors, love the technology, but don't love then all if they don't work.

I have a perfect analogy, it's like world best burger place serving best burgers, but you must eat bun first, when you finish you eat the meat, then the veggies, than lastly you eat the sauce. Sad!

• Funny
Reactions: xkwizit and ABCCBA
Let's them go is actually pretty good decision. The current model x quality is by far the worst i have seen in any car regardless of brands. From Kia, Hyundai to Lamborghini and Ferrari. You name it. All the good things about the X are all created by Elon's vision to be technological advanced. The execution is very poor. Let's take seals for example, no other car makers have such misaligned doors like how we have on the X. Don't get started on the doors. They are awesome when they work, but a hazard if they don't. I love Tesla, love the innovation, love the doors, love the technology, but don't love then all if they don't work.

I have a perfect analogy, it's like world best burger place serving best burgers, but you must eat bun first, when you finish you eat the meat, then the veggies, than lastly you eat the sauce. Sad!
It’s more like the worlds best burger with off brand watery ketchup and stale bread. “Don’t worry about the bread and sauce, the meat is Awesome" Your thinking "Just go get the bread and sauce we've all come to expect on a burger."

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: goneskiian
I doubt they are responsible for the hubris of over-engineering the product: "we would not have had so many features and functionality.”

Maybe they weren't able to make that over-engineered product, nor have the ability to change the direction of the product ("hey, guys, no one can build what you designed. How the heck are we going to make the FWD work and make the horn work reliably at the same time?"
Good point.

I guess I can cut them some slack on the "over-engineered" bits, but the issues with panel alignment, front door seals, interior trim gaps, etc. that aren't related to those "over-engineered" parts is what I had in mind when I wrote that comment.

Let's them go is actually pretty good decision....All the good things about the X are all created by Elon's vision to be technological advanced.

Actually, the correct analogy would be the burger place that has designed the best burger that has only 30 calories, lowers cholesterol, has an adjustable dial to change whether it is cooked rare, medium or medium-rare and then blaming the cook because they couldn't produce it.

• Funny
Reactions: Coolcarx
Good point.

I guess I can cut them some slack on the "over-engineered" bits, but the issues with panel alignment, front door seals, interior trim gaps, etc. that aren't related to those "over-engineered" parts is what I had in mind when I wrote that comment.

agree.
There just some things that are completely not understandable (as you mentioned), but that also may be tied in with the complexity - they focus so much on that and they believe they can let other basic things slide since everything else is so "advanced".

agree.
There just some things that are completely not understandable (as you mentioned), but that also may be tied in with the complexity - they focus so much on that and they believe they can let other basic things slide since everything else is so "advanced".
I agree, I can't imagine how many areas you need to pay attention at their final quality control. For example, my right falcon wing proximity sensor intermittently thinks there are invisible obstacles, I can perhaps correlate this to bright sunlight shining at a certain angle of sheet metal? Maybe it's the sensor placement angle but is that even possible?

Not to scare you or anything, but those invisible obstacles could be ghosts (the windshield has known ghosting problems) or predator-like creatures (there was a documentary about this starring Arnold Schwarzenegger) .
:pMy windshield ghosting got scared away with film application (mostly, I think..) I do see Lexus predator mouth daily though, that i am sure its not just in my head.

• Funny
Reactions: Drivin and xkwizit
:pMy windshield ghosting got scared away with film application (mostly, I think..) I do see Lexus predator mouth daily though, that i am sure its not just in my head.

oh man, rub salt in that wound.
Our family has owned at least one Lexus since they first came out...and then the "predator mouth" came out.
So sad.
So sad, such a sad, sad situation.
I just couldn't get there when shopping for my kids cars and our moving from parent-cars to thekidsareincollegenow-cars!

For a car this complex, people really need to take the time and read through it.
I generally agree with this sentiment; however, I have never needed to read the instruction manual of any other car in order to operate the trunk lid. The complexities that are most relevant to read through often are those features that are new (Auto Pilot, FWD, Summon, etc.); I'm pretty sure vehicles have had trunk lids that auto open capabilities for a few decades...

I generally agree with this sentiment; however, I have never needed to read the instruction manual of any other car in order to operate the trunk lid. The complexities that are most relevant to read through often are those features that are new (Auto Pilot, FWD, Summon, etc.); I'm pretty sure vehicles have had trunk lids that auto open capabilities for a few decades...
But other than setting the default height, why would you need to read the manual to operate the trunk lid? I never did. You walk up, squeeze the padded latch where it is on all cars and it pops open. The button to close it stares at you and if you really want to you can close it by hand, my wife does this. So all you would be missing is the ability to set the default height. For that you probably need to read the manual.

BTW when I was sitting in the SC today, waiting to have my car repaired, I eavesdropped on the phone calls the receptionist was handling. There were a lot of calls from people who could not understand some basic aspects of the cars including items that should have been intuitive. Also I can remember getting my first iPhone with no manual or disk and wondering what I was supposed to do with it. It did not take long to figure it out and stuff I was confused about was quickly dealt with by a Google search. For the Tesla, those Google searches often come to this site (that is where I discovered the height setting of the trunk lid).

Reactions: boardworks
Quick update on my situation – the ranger team (Tesla's mobile service crew) came out to my office yesterday to replace the third row seats (recalled based on failed latch, pre-April 2016 build). It was pretty cool! Roger and Kevin (the team) was in-and-out in about an hour, and even offered to check out anything else that might be causing me problems. Roger also showed me how to set the height of my trunk lid ^_^.

AysfEMe.jpg

Quick update on my situation – the ranger team (Tesla's mobile service crew) came out to my office yesterday to replace the third row seats (recalled based on failed latch, pre-April 2016 build). It was pretty cool! Roger and Kevin (the team) was in-and-out in about an hour, and even offered to check out anything else that might be causing me problems. Roger also showed me how to set the height of my trunk lid ^_^.

AysfEMe.jpg

They came in an ICE

AysfEMe.jpg
What did they replace. Was it the seat as well or just the frame part. Did the seat come with the cushion and leather all together?

Looking at Model X, should I buy?

Obviously new to the forum, Question: should a 30yr old with a young family buy this vehicle?

I am very impressed with the technology, my wife is more focused on day to day practicality and reliability. She will be the primary driver.
She will not handle repeated trips the shop well. Are the kinks out? Most interested to hear from folks that have recently taken delivery.

I'd like to order, but want to avoid Lemon law or resale.

Thanks

Looking at Model X, should I buy?

Obviously new to the forum, Question: should a 30yr old with a young family buy this vehicle?

I am very impressed with the technology, my wife is more focused on day to day practicality and reliability. She will be the primary driver.
She will not handle repeated trips the shop well. Are the kinks out? Most interested to hear from folks that have recently taken delivery.

I'd like to order, but want to avoid Lemon law or resale.

Thanks

I am also just turned 30 years old 3 month ago. My wife just delivered our first baby. We purchased a Model X P90D with Ludicrous and every single option Tesla has to offer. We have some pretty major problems with doors, alligments, and more. But this does not stop me from owning this car. It's the best and most technologically advanced SUV on the market. It fits our family needs as well as my hunger for speed. According to Elon, the new car coming off the line after April 28 will be "Flawless". I defintely believe that. If that's the case, I highly suggest to purchase the X now, you will have to wait for couple of month to get it depending on your configuration, but the quality will be much much better than many of the early built Xs. You can't go wrong with Tesla as long as all the quality control problems are fixed.