Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall wifi and Liftmaster MyQ question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a new garage door opener recently with wifi and MyQ functionality (Liftmaster 8500W). Problem is it keeps dropping the connection to my home wifi every week or so, requiring me to set things up from scratch each time to restore MyQ functionality.

I have set up an additional wifi access point in the garage and confirmed strong signals and speeds consistently near 300 Mbps when standing right next to the garage door opener with my cellphone. The strange part is, during the setup process, the garage door opener will only detect a faint wifi signal from my home network but a full strength wifi signal from the powerwalls nearby. Has anyone had this issue, and any success troubleshooting?

My issue with my garage door opener and wifi was related to the LED lights in the garage door opener seemingly interfering with wifi signal. There were a couple of threads about it in the model 3 subforum. When I swapped the LED lights in the garage door opener with ones from Genie that specifically mentioned "dont have wifi interference" my issues went away.

Mine were specifically related to spotty homelink performance (Tesla's onboard garage door opener) and not myQ but its the same general subject.

I cant find the exact genie part number of the LED lights I bought, but if you look at this one you will see one of the bullet points is (paraphrased) "doesnt interfere with wifi signal"

wifi signal.JPG

My issue with my garage door opener and wifi was related to the LED lights in the garage door opener seemingly interfering with wifi signal. There were a couple of threads about it in the model 3 subforum. When I swapped the LED lights in the garage door opener with ones from Genie that specifically mentioned "dont have wifi interference" my issues went away.

Mine were specifically related to spotty homelink performance (Tesla's onboard garage door opener) and not myQ but its the same general subject.

I cant find the exact genie part number of the LED lights I bought, but if you look at this one you will see one of the bullet points is (paraphrased) "doesnt interfere with wifi signal"

View attachment 914508
The product pages mentions reducing interference with wireless remotes and those operation in the 300-390 MHz range while the WiFi connection is either 2.4 or 5.0 GHz. At 300 MHz, the 8th harmonic is at 2.40 GHz and at 390 MHz the 6th harmonic is at 2.38 GHz, so it is possible that these might also reduce the interference with 2.4GHz WiFi. There is an FCC spec for RF emissions for LED lighting that some vendors may not be testing to and could be causing problems.

I have been having some issues with the MyQ integration in my Model 3. Maybe 20% of the time when I am leaving the Model 3 throws and error message that it can't communicate with my account. I think I have an LED bulb in the garage door opener that is above the Model 3 and might consider swapping it out. If this continues. Note: I have a MyQ hub and not an integrated opener.