Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range loss on 2022 refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

4SUPER9

2022 Model S
Jun 6, 2013
So Cal
My regular 90% charge limit seemed a bit low, so for the first time in a while, I charged last night to 100%. I peaked at 388. My max should be 405, and I have charged to that in the past, but the last time was probably 9 months ago.

This is my 4th MS, and will be 1 year old this month. I have less than 9,000 miles on the car, and have only charged to 100% a handful of times. I have not had this much range loss on any of my prior cars after 3 years. This seems excessive. Am I correct? Are there any steps I should do before calling Tesla?

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Measuring the battery’s capacity is not an exact science. Try charging to 100% and running down under 20% a couple of times an see if the range increases. Also, there is more range available if battery is hot than may show when it cools off after charging finishes. Commonly my battery picks up a bit as it warms up when starting a drive. Typically 4-7 miles. 17 miles lost out of 405 is only about 4% after a year. In normal range.

• Informative
Reactions: 4SUPER9
About 5% initial battery drop is normal for the first year. It is much less in subsequent years. Also, I only charge to 70%, and over time my range declines up to 10 miles. When I charge to 90% or 100% for a trip, the range goes back to more normal. In any event, it is what it is, and unless you get below 70% of rated range, Tesla will not do anything.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AustinP and 4SUPER9
That's just barely over 4%. That not even out of the range of noise measurement. So no, it's definitely not "excessive". I wouldn't even use the words "interesting" or "noteworthy".
Message received. Again, the reason I posted this is because I have had 3 prior Model S’s, and one prior 3, and all those lost less than 5% over 3 years. Guess I was just lucky.

Measuring the battery’s capacity is not an exact science. Try charging to 100% and running down under 20% a couple of times an see if the range increases. Also, there is more range available if battery is hot than may show when it cools off after charging finishes. Commonly my battery picks up a bit as it warms up when starting a drive. Typically 4-7 miles. 17 miles lost out of 405 is only about 4% after a year. In normal range.
This helped. I had a big road trip this past weekend, hence why I changed from my 21's to 19's. Charged to max twice, dropping to less than 20% between charges. Range estimate improved to 398, which is only a 2% drop from my max.

Reactions: zoomer0056