Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode catches door dinger and saves me $1000.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was the day after my OTA update and first time ever activating Sentry Mode. I set it just for fun as I parked in a fairly remote part of a near empty parking lot. Came back to my car and couldn't believe someone nailed my door! Was super excited when I found the clips showing the vehicle parking next to me(front camera caught this and recorded lic plate) then the culprit exiting her car and damaging mine. Repair estimate $1004.00 and my collision deductible $1000.00. Local police tracked down driver and now her insurance is covering damage...not me!

That is shocking!!!

Makes me think of the A Holes with a sticker on their car that reads: “if you park next to me my kids will ding your sh*t”. My four year old knows to open the door slowly and not damage a car.

Better parenting and more responsibility for one’s actions are what is needed here.
I hate dropping toddler at daycare in the pull in spots. 1/10 or more parents don't give a rats arse. I've been dinged while sitting in the car getting ready to back out. Have we no decency!?

This was the day after my OTA update and first time ever activating Sentry Mode. I set it just for fun as I parked in a fairly remote part of a near empty parking lot. Came back to my car and couldn't believe someone nailed my door! Was super excited when I found the clips showing the vehicle parking next to me(front camera caught this and recorded lic plate) then the culprit exiting her car and damaging mine. Repair estimate $1004.00 and my collision deductible $1000.00. Local police tracked down driver and now her insurance is covering damage...not me!

It’s casualness in how people don’t give one F that just irritates me. This person slammed their door into you car and just walked away like it’s a normal way to exit their car.

Wow, that seems almost like an intentional ding. Reminds me of a couple years ago I was walking up to my car and the lady next to me opened her door so hard it was as if she kicked the inside of the door and it bounced off my car. I reacted without thinking and instantly said "wtf?" and the lady just squeezed past me and walked towards the store without even apologizing. Luckily it didn't look like there was damage, but I had so many dings by that point, not sure if I would have noticed anyway.

daycare dropoff is the WORST! parents don't give a crap and they swing their doors wide open to get their bratty kids out.

This strikes me as kinda funny. Is this a really broad generalization about a group you're part of (why else would you be there) but doesn't apply to you? I could see it being true. I have young kids but no experience with day care. I love my kids but tend to think everyone else's are punks, lol.

• Love
Reactions: Dre78
I once found a print of a kid-sized shoe on my previous car's door next to the handle. I still have no idea how he got that high up (must have been practicing Karate kicks or something) and how he managed to get his shoes so dirty in an otherwise clean and dry parking lot. Would have been great to have Sentry mode back then. Today the hairs on my neck stand up every time I see one of those soccer-mom mobiles parked next to my car. :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: Dre78
I once found a print of a kid-sized shoe on my previous car's door next to the handle. I still have no idea how he got that high up (must have been practicing Karate kicks or something) and how he managed to get his shoes so dirty in an otherwise clean and dry parking lot. Would have been great to have Sentry mode back then. Today the hairs on my neck stand up every time I see one of those soccer-mom mobiles parked next to my car. :eek:

I purposely park next to vans with sliding side doors instead of SUVs with doors that swing if my parking spot choices are limited.

Reactions: LDMD7

I haven't used Sentry yet, but I will. Do I need to put stick in USB before engaging Sentry?
TIA

How did you find out her license plate?

Not yet, maybe someday. But the Tesla Stats App is great. Much more functionality than the current Tesla official app. I was saying the the Stats App will turn on Sentry Mode if you forget.

If you're signed up to TeslaFi you can have it automatically turn on Sentry Mode, also. TeslaFi also gives you a ton of sweet, sweet data on your car's charging and driving.

If you want to try it out you can double the free trial period from two weeks to a month by using my referral code below. After the trial it costs $55 a year.