Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering the other day if maybe this could be a way for Tesla to gain capital: sell data. They maybe read a tipping point in which they are so sure about their competitive advantage that they can make a dump of 1y of data and sell it to the highest bidder or something. Tesla would be gaining another million miles just the day after that. I bet Google and Apple would be willing to pay a lot of money for that.
Is this a very stupid idea?
No, it is a good idea. But, Tesla won't sell it because it is very valuable and the value increases many fold if Tesla keeps it to itself.

From the article:

160 robots on 1st line for MS vs. 580 robots on 2nd line for MX. Does it mean the second line is more automated? Or the MX is so complicated that it requires so many more robots to get the same number of cars throughput as for MS?

My understanding was that the Assembly line 2 was designed to transition to producing both S and X and this transition would free up the space of assembly line 1 to be used with Model 3. The much heavier use of robots on Assembly Line 2 is necessary to allow both S and X to be produced at suitable speed on the same line.

IIRC, Tesla's ESPP plan is priced during the first week of February and August, and the employees get a 15% discount to the lower share price at the beginning and end of each semi-annual period. (Check out TSLA's share price in early February, 2016.) IMO, ISPPs are a bird's nest on the ground benefit, and smart employees cash out as soon as they can to re-load over the following six months.

I'm not saying ESPP sales were a material factor in the share count increase you noted, but having tried to reconcile share counts increases to Form 4s over multiple quarters I have formed the impression the ISPP is not inconsequential in the share count accretion.
I administer an ESPP. Not that it matters for share count since they are outstanding as soon as the purchase is made, but selling prior to the 2 year holding period is rare and carries tax consequences (no LT cap gains and disqualified shares carry tax on the discounted amount). By its nature, a qualified ESPP just can't contribute much to issued shares. Employees can only buy up to $25k worth of company stock per year under the plan, per the IRC. Thus, at most, each employee can only buy $12,500 worth of TSLA (less discount) per 6 month period. Then you consider that most TSLA employees are not highly compensated and likely setting aside $100-200 per check (if anything) the number starts to not look very large.

The whole point, from Tesla's viewpoint, actually is that MBLY is selling just chips and drivers. Tesla does not need or want the MBLY software on top of it.

Yep. So where do we disagree? Maybe MBLY didn't handle it very well but the bottom line is they're effectively forced to sell one of the key parts of their overall solution to a competitor. They probably are cursing themselves for not putting some of these clauses into the initial contract.

No, it is a good idea. But, Tesla won't sell it because it is very valuable and the value increases many fold if Tesla keeps it to itself.

One can foresee the possibility of licensing the software, of course. And later a government call for industry standard as it prepares for mandatory equipment and software on all cars. Any estimate as to when either will happen?

We cannot count on our speculations to come true but we can consider their likelihood. (Pompous I know, "sometimes sounding like a sumptuous pounding of water in a mortar," as Trotsky described Kerensky's speeches.)

Last edited:
I wonder how soon we'll see MBLY equipment no longer in new TSLA products, if we arent already. Any forum members got their shiny new P100D willing to look and see? I wouldn't be surprised if the EyeQ3 is gone, replaced by something else. TSLA has to know that someday soon the flow of EyeQ3's will dry up, and so I'm sure there's a replacement in the works, if not already implemented, and TSLA sitting on enough supply of EyeQ3 on hand already to carry them through implementation of the replacement.

One can foresee the possibility of licensing the software, of course. And later a government call for industry standard as it prepares for mandatory equipment and software on all cars. Any estimate as to when either will happen?

We cannot count on our speculations to come true but we can consider their likelihood. (Pompous I know, "sometimes sounding like a sumptuous pounding of water in a mortar," as Trotsky labelled Kerensky's speeches.)
Agree. I don't think TSLA would ever sell the raw data set. Might sell licenses to the software, to a maker of a compelling EV with a compatible hardware set, but only during the period where TSLA can't keep up with the demand. Once they can, why give away your differentiating feature? For that reason, I won't be surprised if they never license it.

My rationale is that Tesla is selling a lot of cars, and so it gains tonnes of data every day, in a compound way.
From here: Tesla Fleet Racking Up The Miles With & Without Autopilot
it seems that overall miles (AP/nonAP) are going exponential.

I've not yet to see a chart for AP miles alone, but:
These are all good news and suggest data may be "cheap", for Tesla, at a certain point (not so far in the future).

So, Tesla (which is always in need o cash), could reach a tipping point
in which selling X mlns miles data is *almost* harmless,
because it will gain other ten of millions in few days.

I understand that the competitive advantage is crucial, so that of course the key:
selling data in a "harmless" way.

a.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: erha
It makes sense that Mobileye would not want to be tied down to only Tesla for high definition crowd sourced mapping and fleet learning of driving.

At CES last year, Mobileye introduced their "Road Experience Management (REM)" effort:
Mobileye N.V. - Mobileye To Offer User-Generated Mapping For Autonomous Driving

They signed up GM, Volkswagen, and Nissan to join into this effort. I don't think anything actually shipped yet. Presumably, BMW joins this effort too.

• Informative
Reactions: Gerardf
I administer an ESPP. Not that it matters for share count since they are outstanding as soon as the purchase is made .

So the semi-annual period purchases were made some time during August, under Tesla's plan?

selling prior to the 2 year holding period is rare and carries tax consequences (no LT cap gains and disqualified shares carry tax on the discounted amount). By its nature, a qualified ESPP just can't contribute much to issued shares. Employees can only buy up to $25k worth of company stock per year under the plan, per the IRC. Thus, at most, each employee can only buy $12,500 worth of TSLA (less discount) per 6 month period. Then you consider that most TSLA employees are not highly compensated and likely setting aside $100-200 per check (if anything) the number starts to not look very large

As you previously noted with the quarterly vs semi-annual pricing, different corporations have different terms for their plans including different holding periods Once the holding period pipeline is full, quarterly/semi-annual sales offer both a low-risk, assured return and favorable tax treatment. At the end of last year, Tesla's headcount exceeded 13,000 and continues to hire aggressively. Anyone who thinks zeroing out stock based compensation (of which the ESPP is only part) in non-GAAP as a no expense accounting technicality needs to look more closely.

Stock based compensation is different than adding to shares outstanding.

My point here is that equity awards (and the corresponding shares outstanding increase as awards from previous years vest/exercise) are typically granted in Q1 of each year at most companies so I would expect a big change in shares outstanding due to awards in Q1, not Q3 (setting aside large sign-on awards like hiring Wheeler, but again we would know about that via 8-Ks). You are correct that equity compensation is typically amortized/expensed over the life of the award and reported as stock-based compensation in filings, though.

"Stock-Based Compensation

We use the fair value method of accounting for our stock options and restricted stock units (RSUs) granted to employees and our Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) to measure the cost of employee services received in exchange for the stock-based awards. The fair value of stock options and ESPP are estimated on the grant date and offering date using the Black-Scholes option-pricing model. The fair value of RSUs is measured on the grant date based on the closing fair market value of our common stock. The resulting cost is recognized over the period during which an employee is required to provide service in exchange for the awards, usually the vesting period which is generally four years for stock options and RSUs and six months for the ESPP. Stock-based compensation expense is recognized on a straight-line basis, net of estimated forfeitures.

The Black-Scholes option-pricing model requires inputs such as the risk-free interest rate, expected term and expected volatility. Further, the forfeiture rate also affects the amount of aggregate compensation. These inputs are subjective and generally require significant judgment.

We estimate our forfeiture rate based on an analysis of our actual forfeiture experience and will continue to evaluate the appropriateness of the forfeiture rate based on actual forfeiture experience, analysis of employee turnover behavior and other factors. Quarterly changes in the estimated forfeiture rate can have a significant effect on reported stock-based compensation expense, as the cumulative effect of adjusting the rate for all expense amortization is recognized in the period the forfeiture estimate is changed. If a revised forfeiture rate is higher than the previously estimated forfeiture rate, an adjustment is made that will result in a decrease to the stock-based compensation expense recognized in the consolidated financial statements. If a revised forfeiture rate is lower than the previously estimated forfeiture rate, an adjustment is made that will result in an increase to the stock-based compensation expense recognized in the consolidated financial statements.

As we accumulate additional employee stock-based awards data over time and as we incorporate market data related to our common stock, we may calculate significantly different volatilities, expected lives and forfeiture rates, which could materially impact the valuation of our stock-based awards and the stock-based compensation expense that we will recognize in future periods

• Informative
Reactions: AlMc
It makes sense that Mobileye would not want to be tied down to only Tesla for high definition crowd sourced mapping and fleet learning of driving.

At CES last year, Mobileye introduced their "Road Experience Management (REM)" effort:
Mobileye N.V. - Mobileye To Offer User-Generated Mapping For Autonomous Driving

They signed up GM, Volkswagen, and Nissan to join into this effort. I don't think anything actually shipped yet. Presumably, BMW joins this effort too.
My understanding is that each dataset is required to be held independently, not commingled. Slows down a process in which the are already far behind. Tesla was an outlier in that they wouldn't give access to any data.

Well, I have to disagree with that comparison. Mobileye basically wanted to own the data caputered with the camera. I assume google bought a camera as well for their streetview mapping. Imagine the camera manufaturer claiming they own all data google streetview cars collected using it.

P.S. I am also not so sure Apple would have a big problem with what you describe. They do allow installation of windows as a second OS.

Imagine a genetic testing company (23&me) claiming they own all the data from their customers.... Oh yea they do and that is their "business model". More and more companies are claiming thing ownership of the data and we sign away that ownership all the time.

Fire Away!

But more robots is a one time cost.
One of Tesla's early "innovations", was that the robots would change the tools, so you could have one robot performing 3-5 different tasks, like welding or installing glass. But changing tools takes time, so I think they are now prepared to pay more to save the time needed to change tool heads.

Reactions: Intl Professor
Status
Not open for further replies.