Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that part of the reason we have not seen more of a sustained climb in the stock price is the general belief that other companies, like Mercedes, will swallow Tesla whole. Most people, including the analysts, don't understand that all lithium batteries are not the same. Tesla has the best batteries at the lowest price. I really doubt Mercedes will have an eight year warranty. They won't have the batteries to produce 500,000 cars anytime soon. Dealers, at least in the US, will not want to sell Mercedes EVs over Mercedes ICE vehicles, because the former will put them out of business after the decline in Service Department revenue. The list goes on and on, but most people still don't get it. I do think they will start to see the light after the Model 3 is in full production, and S and X have been significantly improved further, and the other companies are just beginning to deliver a product at low volume that is years behind Tesla offerings. I now think that we will be under 240 for a 50 day for 6-12 more months. Which is o.k. by me, because it will give me time to buy a few thousand more shares at a great price.
I am in the same boat. I hope the stock remain low so I can continue to add at great prices. Eventually the stock price will reflect the underlying business.

GAAP profitability or perhaps even if just non-gaap profitable. Not like 2013 but a nice rise. That's what I am banking on. If that doesn't move the stock I will be scratching my head. Deliveries moved it about as much as I expected. Around 5%.

But then some of us will just hold because we believe in the company and we believe it will grow into its valuation if it's not there already. I will say I have never put someone on ignore, but that is about to change. You have no new arguments. Just valuation and comparison to other auto makers which we've heard here for years and it's really getting old.
"Just valuation and comparison to other auto makers which we've heard here for years and it's really getting old"

when someone on this board makes a suggestion that TSLA will go 2x... and then another person replies with 3x... and then another person claims $1T market cap... and another replies with $10T market cap... these are all discussions of valuation.

what you are not interested in hearing is someone asking why... I guess you're suggesting that everyone on this board has already decided that Tesla has a guaranteed path to 10 million cars per year and an equal solar industry so any questioning of this is just old news.

i find this to be very strange.

It doesn't trade flat. It was in 140's and in 280's, and there were money to be made. Delivery number was right about in the middle of what people expected it to be. Some folks here got a bit excited but hey some shorts get excited for various non-reason reasons as well.
what I meant by flat is that it's currently trading at the same price it did in early 2014. if you're trading the ups and downs... that's different.

You know… me too. Here's one thought that keeps reoccuring in my mind. Dilution. Capitol raises in the recent past, and now coming up again in the not too far future. How can you expect to dilute the stock by these large increments, and not expect to see the stock price stall out, or even drop. I'm only putting this out here because I haven't seen it addressed. And I have read every post for many months now. It's like the government printing money. I know… that's not always bad, and I'm not saying it's bad here either. Tesla has to do it to grow quickly. It has to be done, I agree, but wouldn't it make the stock price take a hit?
They have done a crazy amount of cap raises. And the merger isn't great for dilution either, but it's less than 10% which isn't bad if you think SCTY is an asset. But cap raise dilution is only bad if they are "down rounds" which I think Musk only has 2 of now, if they are "up rounds" which I think I heard Musk has like 35 of, and even his down rounds haven't been that dilutive.
Here's a random (and possibly not entirely original) thought: actual deliveries might be moderately higher than 24,500. I know Drivin just read this first line and clicked the "Funny" button, but for the rest of you read on...

First, the 1% error language - which has been in every ..., not 24,500."

Elon is pretty good about reporting back on investigations, especially when the subject is Tesla's integrity. I expect some kind of public follow-up on that companywide email.

Those were really good points, I didn't catch those nuances. Details details. @FredTMC did the mods ever say how to donate? I couldn't find it. If it ends up over 25k what happens then?

what I meant by flat is that it's currently trading at the same price it did in early 2014. if you're trading the ups and downs... that's different.

Personally I think about it like this: high risk stock is not necessarily risky just because it can go down sharply, but also because it's unknown when market would recognize a higher valuation if things go well. The current valuation clearly appreciates both the growth potential and the risk. I don't think it would be possible to support $200+ valuation without the expectation of deliveries like we saw in this quarter. Short terrm SCTY acquisition risk is balanced out by future potential of the new product and de-risking of Model S/X execution that we see manifesting as Q3 delivery. All fair, in my opinion. If there's a stock that will either go to 0 or go 10x within the next 5 years and you don't know when but you think the probability is good enough for 10x vs. the price of admission, that's still a buy.

• Love
Reactions: TrendTrader007
On the bright side it seems like it was only last year (2015) when shorts were arguing that EVs were a unproven future market, toyota .et al. fuel cell technology and PHEVs would beat out EVs. Now with all these major companies like VW and Mercedes acknowledging they are aiming for a significant EV shift by 2025, i guess that kind of confirms where the market is headed. Look how far we have come in a year...

So i wanted to look this up to see if my memory was correct. During the q2 2014 earnings call Adam Jonas asks Elon and JB why the other big players in the car industry are all talking "moving towards hydrogen", why are they all acting like hydrogen is the future?

Q2 2014 earning call exchange:

Adam Jonas – Morgan Stanley

That's great color, Elon. Can I just ask a follow-up? Outside of BMW, any other parties -- can you say any other parties that have expressed interest in your patent-sharing gesture? I'm curious to think why you think the -- why the industry is moving towards hydrogen in this -- or so much of the industry seems to be pushing hydrogen like crazy in the past few months. Is this a bullshit move to kind of CARB [ph] to rewrite the rules on EVs, or do you think they actually believe this stuff?

Elon Musk

Yeah. Well, I don't, as you know, I'm not the biggest proponent of hydrogen. RV and JB might be [indiscernible] you know. But really if you take a theoretically optimal fuel cell car and compare that to a car in production, battery electric car, on key metrics of mass, volume complexity, cost, refilling infrastructure, it's just -- it's a loss. So it's the best case in our opinion, the best case fuel cell car, and obviously the fuel cell cars are far from best case, cannot be the current case electric car, well, why even try it? That just makes no sense. Success is not one of the possible outcomes.

JB, anything you'd want to elaborate on that?

JB Straubel

I think that really it's pretty clear, the only real benefits that get touted for fuel cell and hydrogen vehicles are potentially range and refill time, but both of those are not [indiscernible] benefits when you look at where battery technology is today and certainly where it's going in a few years. So I think people make a mistake of comparing today's technology with future potential technology instead of two technologies at the same point in time.

Elon Musk

Yeah. I mean even if you take theoretical optimal, like theoretically perfect [indiscernible] I just don't think you [indiscernible].

But then, JB, like why are they doing -- why are they doing this? That's why I asked if it's BS. Is this just kind of a diversionary tactic or do you think they're just not on -- what's up?

Elon Musk

We're quite confused about this.

JB Straubel

Yeah. It does not make a lot of sense. I mean we didn't even touch on the infrastructure challenges that hydrogen brings, but building out that infrastructure is substantially more expensive than building out any electric vehicle infrastructure. And there's almost none of it today.

Elon Musk

Yeah. Also another thing too, like hydrogen is an energy carrier, not an energy source. So you have to create the hydrogen, which is really inefficient. Because you'd either have to crack a hydrocarbon or electrolyzed water.

JB Straubel

And if you want to do it renewably, the water electrolysis route is really the only --

Elon Musk

Yeah, which is super inefficient. Yeah.

And then hydrogen has very low density, so if you're going to pick it chemical energy storage mechanism, the hydrogen is a terrible choice. Like at least, you know, methane, CH4, lock up the hydrogen with one carbon atom or something. Anyway --

Maybe that answers the question.

JB Straubel

It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Elon Musk

Yeah.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/236...-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

And then this video of Elon in 2015 being asked at the Automotive News World Congress in Detroit about why he is anti hydrogen fuel cell for cars.

(10:15 mark)

The industry narrative and framework has really changed in just the last year or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: sundaymorning
With the 24,500 deliveries, we now head into the 4th quarter with lots of momentum going for us. That's 3 months of solid confidence in TSLA stock folks. The storyline has changed from "can they do it?" To "hell yea we can."

I commend Mercedes and VW for acknowledging Tesla's dominance, they "get it." They can see the writing on the wall, sometimes it takes "game" to recognize "game." Afterall, 0-60 in 2.5 seconds is stupid fast for a supercar, let alone a sedan. Tesla can also enter the "supercar" market at will with those numbers. It's only a matter of time before we eat into Ferrari, Porsche, Buggati, McClaren & Lamborghini's pie (can you imagine Tesla with 5 different models of "supercar"?). Can't wait for the future folks, Im likely going to own every Tesla car in production. After driving in my S, I never want to get back into any ICE.

TSLA is holding up very nicely and today's pullback was not at all unexpected and pretty bullish in my opinion
The stock is going to climb a wall of worry
I'm seeing more and more Model S and X in my mid size town in Midwest
As a matter of fact I was coming home tonight at around 10.45 PM after watching this movie Equity and just saw a Model S driving right in front of me on a country road
All this is so reminiscent of when I first bought CMG in 2006 at $32 and eventually Chipotle went up over 20 times in next 10 years ( I sold it at $135 in 2008 with a cost basis of $65 or so)
Bottomline: Tesla cars are rapidly becoming mainstream even in mid sized towns in Midwest and once Model 3 comes the stock will explode and go through the roof. Infact, the market will bid the stock much higher in anticipation
Shorts are on the wrong side of this trade, it's harmful for your pocket to bet against a much loved global brand growing rapidly and whose products are rapidly becoming mainstream
Investors suffer from the bias of recency and as long as the SP is not moving up explosively, shorts will berate everything about TSLA and longs will be crestfallen but once this stock starts ramping up in earnest, as I soon expect it to, it will become a self fulfilling prophecy similar to Soros' theory of reflexivity and the higher the stock price rises the more positively it will affect the underlying fundamentals of this company and a virtuous cycle will unleash which shall propel TSLA to $100 Billion market cap and beyond

Interesting time for tesla. Accelerating growth, just passing Porsche in the US, but more important on track to surpass 100,000 rate leaving 2016 and on track to leave 2017 at more than double that rate. If they hit 500,000 in 2018 or 2019 they will be in the top 20 automakers by revenue. Maintain that growth for 5 more years and they are top 10. Life is seldom linear, but some companies like 1990 Dell have an innovation edge that separates them from their competitors. Tesla has design, power plant, system control, supply chain and leadership advantages. This doesn't mean existing mfrs can't respond, but it does mean that they are in a safer place than you might think, if you only look at where they are, versus their direction and their speed.
Oh yeah, they have a second division that will fund itself and pay for a second gigafactory.
My point is that if you look at where they are, you might see a small niche manufacturer. If you look at where they are going, you see something much different.

Reactions: Turing
TSLA is holding up very nicely and today's pullback was not at all unexpected and pretty bullish in my opinion
The stock is going to climb a wall of worry
I'm seeing more and more Model S and X in my mid size town in Midwest
As a matter of fact I was coming home tonight at around 10.45 PM after watching this movie Equity and just saw a Model S driving right in front of me on a country road
All this is so reminiscent of when I first bought CMG in 2006 at $32 and eventually Chipotle went up over 20 times in next 10 years ( I sold it at $135 in 2008 with a cost basis of $65 or so)
Bottomline: Tesla cars are rapidly becoming mainstream even in mid sized towns in Midwest and once Model 3 comes the stock will explode and go through the roof. Infact, the market will bid the stock much higher in anticipation
Shorts are on the wrong side of this trade, it's harmful for your pocket to bet against a much loved global brand growing rapidly and whose products are rapidly becoming mainstream
Investors suffer from the bias of recency and as long as the SP is not moving up explosively, shorts will berate everything about TSLA and longs will be crestfallen but once this stock starts ramping up in earnest, as I soon expect it to, it will become a self fulfilling prophecy similar to Soros' theory of reflexivity and the higher the stock price rises the more positively it will affect the underlying fundamentals of this company and a virtuous cycle will unleash which shall propel TSLA to $100 Billion market cap and beyond
This is an interesting observation, since tesla's are by their price alone expensive, and yet no one would claim mercedes s class, bmw 5 or 7 series becoming mainstream. The tesla is not an i3 and not a 3 series either. However seeing more on the ground indicates people see value in the car, car maintenance, and just maybe like the 8 year warranty. So if you see one on the road, the tesla is so compelling that people will go out of their way and get one. Not many go out of their way to get a high end luxury sedan...

Do you all think the market will sorta shrug off GAAP profit with decent gross margins? I guess it's more of a statement thing, but they haven't been profitable in a quarter for about 3 years.
I'm not sure we've seen the end of the delivery bump.

I don't think the market will shrug off profits, but I also think it's not going to be really strong until the SCTY acquisition problem is resolved. That will probably take both the merger completion and a strong product introduction by Elon.

Also the capital raise needs to be completed. The market doesn't believe it's going to be a a modest raise.

Yeah but the poster was referring to market expectations which is not the same as TMC expectations.

The poster replied to a post from dakh, which originally said;

"Delivery number was right about in the middle of what people expected it to be".

I think we are "the people". Not the analysts. :) Hence me pointing out that delivery number were in fact only 300 away from our poll - we, the people.;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.