Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Musk wanted Tesla to sell like Apple. But as things turned out they are selling like, well, any other automaker... I'm surprised that Musk doesn't know what's going on here. People are getting discounts hand over fist. Tesla folks took Elon's email way seriously (make and sell every car you can). What would have been their other option? Spare capacity? This totally sucks but the harsh reality is becoming to be that Tesla is just another automaker/dealer, not another Apple.

Being inflexibly bound to some model while growing might not be optimal, best to have some flexibility with these things. And openly listing inventory discounts is not quite the same as putting the haggling model front and center.

Reactions: gene
Apple most certainly does sell CPO devices. The section of the Apple website is called "Special Deals". No idea what you're talking about.

Refurbished and Clearance iPad, Mac, and Apple TV - Apple
@dha Sorry about that. For some reason, @Drivin, along with a number of long time lurkers are disliking everything I post. If I said "The weather today is good", he/she would likely dislike the post lol. :rolleyes:
@Drivin Why did you dislike this particular post? I think we both agree that a hat is a hat and a chair is a chair?

If you disliked my post because you dislike Apple for whatever reason, don't take it out on my posts. :eek:

Last edited:
Anyhoo,at least it looks like it could be a good quarter ;)

Yeah, right? This line sticks out:

This is likely to be the best quarter ever in Tesla history thanks in large part to your efforts.

By what metric? Q3 will obviously dwarf the previous delivery record which currently stands at 17,400 (Q4 2015).

Meanwhile, EPS record (Q1 2013) stands at $0.12 / $0.20 (GAAP / Non-GAAP). Those numbers are both above current consensus estimates.

• Informative
Reactions: ev-enthusiast
Discount on CPO and floor models only? Doubt it. It is an issue if Elon is not aware of these while everyone else knows.

URL="https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1753350/"]Snagged a P90D Inventory car for $700/mnth on the new 24 month lease[/URL]
I picked up my 90D at the factory yesterday afternoon. Before recapping the delivery experience, I want to thank SoCalJimmy for starting this thread and his very responsive OA who found me a car at 7am on a Saturday morning. While in theory I was getting one of the demo vehicles in turn for the significant discount, I ended up with a new vehicle just out of the factory with 15 miles on the odometer. Frankly, the combination of the significant discount and the 2 year lease offer pushed me over the fence to get a Tesla.

Apple has 18% of the smart phone market and falling.

If Apple needed to raise its market share 5% it would also need to discount its product

But Apple has $250B in cash and cash equivalents and has zero need to raise capital and has nothing to prove to Wall Street in the short term.

Huh?
As of January 2016, Apple had 43.3% of Smartphone subscribers.
This is up 0.3% from the October numbers.
comScore Reports January 2016 U.S. Smartphone Subscriber Market Share

Do you have any citations about the price elasticity in the market? It isn't clear that Android users would switch based on discounted iPhones.

• Informative
Reactions: mmd
Yeah, right? This line sticks out:

By what metric? Q3 will obviously dwarf the previous delivery record which currently stands at 17,400 (Q4 2015).

Meanwhile, EPS record stands at $0.12 / $0.20 (GAAP / Non-GAAP). Those numbers are both well above current consensus estimates.
My thoughts exactly! The million dollar question...which metric?
He can't just be referring to delivery numbers can he? That is pretty much already expected by everyone at this point in time.

While I like the response, I can't help but feel disappointed because once again Elon/Tesla is showing they are not on top of their execution.

In particular, Elon sent an email to the whole company telling them deliver every car possible. The sales team thought they were doing exactly that, and now Elon is telling them it's wrong.

This discounting scheme has been known to us for a month:
Tesla is showing signs of moving away from the ‘no haggle’ sales model

Discount on CPO and floor models only? Doubt it. It is an issue if Elon is not aware of these while everyone else knows.

URL="https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1753350/"]Snagged a P90D Inventory car for $700/mnth on the new 24 month lease[/URL]

He may classify many of those inventory cars as 'floor models' if they were used for stuff like test drives. Which seems fair.

The letter specifically states not to sell a car rolling straight out of the factory at a discount, which is no different than what we knew.

While I like the response, I can't help but feel disappointed because once again Elon/Tesla is showing they are not on top of their execution.

In particular, Elon sent an email to the whole company telling them deliver every car possible. The sales team thought they were doing exactly that, and now Elon is telling them it's wrong.

It is WRONG to complete the paperwork and sale for a car and not deliver it because it isn't available.
Good for Elon for calling that out.

Reactions: Ulmo
He may classify many of those inventory cars as 'floor models' if they were used for stuff like test drives. Which seems fair.

The letter specifically states not to sell a car rolling straight out of the factory at a discount, which is no different than what we knew.

By that definition, every car sold by dealers is a 'floor model', as you can go to a dealer and test drive any car on the lot. Are all the cars in dealer lots floor models? New cars I bought always had 50-100 miles on them.
You don't sell a car right off the assembly line. It needs some bare minimum track testing.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler

Maybe the demo vehicle was no longer available, for whatever reason and Tesla rather then canceling the sale and potentially stranding the customer gave priority to the customer and offered more than what was promised, due to extenuating circumstances?

My guess is 2-300 cars (probably 75's) got delivered to US customers from the factory at discount even though they were essentially brand new. ~1% of world-wide quarter deliveries. I guess that is small.

Status
Not open for further replies.