Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

should i wait for the new porsche or i-pace to come out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m amazed that so many are just willing to drop Tesla without a 2nd thought based on a concept design of a mission E which has yet to test even 1 mile by the manufacturer and has no history.

I am also surprised to see so many posts so willing to switch brands. I am still in the honey moon phase and am loving my S but if in 4 years when I hit the market...I really would be bored buying another S if it still is basically the same car. This seens to be the dilemma of the OP.

A thought on the pending S interior refresh. The exterior has also remained essentially unchanged for the last 6 years. If/when the exterior changes the interior will have to change. Too me it makes no sense to change all the impacted production equipment for a new interior.... Then change the exterior which would force another interior change. I guess this is why all the legacy makers do those changes simultaneously.

So interior change now would mean same body style for several years....10+ years with the same body. Will be fun to see if they focus on the Y, semi, roadster, or S update.

It's comical the assumptions immediately being made on the certainty that these cars will have a completely smooth launch with all service centers ready to go. Unlike Tesla though, I suppose they won't need service because Porsche and Jaguar have rich history with cars. Obviously 911 Turbo experience is going to map 1 for 1 across all service centers worldwide.

It cost no money to throw Tesla under the bus and make consequence free declarations like "The Tesla killer is here".

I'll be glad to follow behind the footsteps of the bandwagonners throwing down 75-100K on these cars. Though most likely not. I don't easily forget details like I can go anywhere I want without spending a second to think about where to charge.

Haven't seen a better game in town yet for what Tesla is doing with vehicle autonomy even if behind their own self imposed projections.

Last edited:
i would hold out until another EV comes out at least.

i too am not a "greeny" and could really give that much of a rats about saving the planet like some in this forum, but the drive experience is why i bought a tesla.

just can't beat they way they drive...i'd say stick it out for a bit until we can buy another "real" ev in the USA. (12 months max)

Reactions: Eclectic
A lot will happen in the next 1-2 years. I leased the X after 2.5 years on the wait list and replaced my Audi SQ5 with it because it is much faster and very cool although 3x the price. Despite the hassles I have never regretted it and I drive to work every morning giggling at the acceleration. But Tesla is not a company with decades of experience building suspensions and cars that "handle" at the top level of automotive tech. The interior is too austere and until true self driving arrives, I find it distracting to have to look at a screen well away from my windshield to adjust the heater. My SQ and the Macan have too many buttons - agreed - but there is room for improvement. I expect the competition in 1-2 years will have HUD, 360 cameras, all rows fold down like a real SUV, better handling without all the judder/halfshaft issues which still plague my car, and possibly better autonomy or driver assist. Tesla is spread pretty thin with the Semi, Model 3, etc and has not substantially addressed the possible hardware upgrades to match what is available in luxury ICE cars at half the price. So at present I am paying a 100,000$ premium for an amazing windshield, FWD, a robust range, no ICE issues, a supercharger network and outrageous acceleration without many of the comfort/utility features and handling of current gen ICE SUVs. I assume Tesla will address this before 2019 with a redesign - or they will lose customers, and especially in Europe where the charging network is being built by the consortium of competing companies. Not to mention superfast charging - I expect in the next year Tesla will need to match this feature as well.

I also personally do not care for autonomous driving beyond my current 1st gen MX. It works awesome in stop and go traffic and gives me some relief in good conditions on the highway. I like to "drive" and rarely engage autopilot outside of those circumstances. Every morning is a mini rally drive to work in light traffic and AI would take the fun out of it. Winter conditions make all sensor technology struggle. AI is great for the boring bits though.

Clearly today the X is the only real game in town by a longshot but in 2019 we will have options and competition and I am really stoked about that. I hope Tesla is up for it and not too distracted by the mass volume consumer model 3 to keep improving the X and S.

Reactions: Peteybabes
I’m amazed that so many are just willing to drop Tesla without a 2nd thought based on a concept design of a mission E which has yet to test even 1 mile by the manufacturer and has no history. Is traditional auto branding that powerful that even if they entered the EV market more as a marketing and customer loyalty ploy, (only Tesla being bold enough to disrupt the entire industry), people would simply drop the innovative and forward thinking leader for one who continues to peddle fossil fuels for as long as big oil would demand it...wow.

Just surprised.

I would think Tesla proved to all the traditional ones that simply resting on your laurels for a century was not for humanity nor for the well being of our future.

Not for Jag I-PACE. Bad memory of Jag... Yes for Porsche Mission-E. I would place deposit today if I could and replace my current MS.

I'm NOT surprised at all that some of the Tesla owners will look for other car manufacturers with EV offering. Heck, I just realize how much I was willing to cut Tesla some slack after building a Jag i-pace with all the luxury features that I used to have on my previous cars.
What are those features then? Because I clicked every option possible on my I-Pace config and was frustrated I couldn't feature match with my Model X. The only thing I can blame Tesla for is that their selection of colour, hues and materials for the interior is limited, and that you can't choose out of 8 types of wheels.

i own a Model x and am hoping that the delivery delay until June is due to the fact that the X and S are getting a much needed refresh and update.
Be careful what you wish for. A major refresh is likely to leave you with untested hardware which will require repairs and adjustments, as well as basic features you may have to wait months if not years to use (for example it took over a year for refreshed AP2 S and X wipers to start sensing rain, Model 3 still doesn't have a way to turn on heated seats and it's been a few months since first deliveries).

Mission E doesn’t have any supported charger widely available above 50kwh right?

same as iPace

I see charging network is much more important for long distance driving

Even I got a Mission E or iPace today, I have to pay for those $15 or $20 per hour Level 3 station and no more than 50kwh

Those chargers are so expensive that I prefer just fill 93 on my ML63 and cheaper for $ per miles

-- Totally Agree.

In addition to that I-Pace charge only at 7kW in AC instead of 11/16 kW of Tesla.
In clear you need more than 15h to full charge the battery at home. I hope they correct this big mistake before real production launch.

Nevertheless, I find the look and feel of I-Pace very nice, probably even better than the model X. So, If they fix the 7 kW limitation and they deploy 100 kW supercharge at an affordable cost through Europe, it could become an option for me.

Knowing that in Switzerland, to charge at 50 kW it costs 70 cent/kW, CHF 70,- (more or less $ 70,-) for a full charge of my model X 100D having 450 km of range. In clear it cost more than a ICE car !

The Tesla supercharger network or something similar is a must have for this kind of electric car. For the time being there is still a long, long way to compete with Tesla.

I think the speed of charge and the charging network is the only thing that make the Tesla a viable daily driver - if you have to wait 10 hours to charge they would be useless on a road trip.

If Porsche could figure out the fast charging it would be a very great alternative.

Jaguar .... electric.....bad

To each his own I guess but I have a problem with people lying or cheating. Emission cheating software, lying about the fact that Tesla cars can only do launches in a row, creating a confusion in their marketing video by talking about the P100D and bringing out a 100D car to race right after.

buy a Tesla now and enjoy it.

when the competition actually have a car available and there is some feedback on it for a few months at least, then consider whether to trade the Tesla.

or just wait because as soon as the iPAce has landed for real, then you will have to wait for the Mision E, but then you might have to wait for something else that is being trailled ...

a major reason to pass on the ipace is the simple fact that it weighs less than 6000lbs so it doesn't qualify for the section 179 deduction like the X does. For a business, that's huge (upto $25k deduction)

it's suggestive, but i prefer the looks of the X over the ipace and concur like the other posts about the tesla OTA support, supercharging network, etc..

The porsche mission e (sedan) looks awesome though, and i'd seriously consider that if i was in the market for a S but their suv mockups look a bit ugly imo so i'd still get the X over it as well.

I am very happy with my Model X, other then some occasional road/wind noise, but I think that has to do with how bad the roads are in Michigan.. they are horrible. Reasons for buying an X over others:

1) Buy American! Im not sure if Jaguar is made in US?
2) Auto pilot! Nuh said
3) Tesla Superchargers.. so easy, so fast, wonderful
4) Tesla customer service is excellent. I heard Porsche is too, not sure about Jaguar
5) Every Joe/Schmo has Porsche or Jaguar or Range Rover.. etc..buy something unique
6) Its Elon Musk.. he also sold flame thrower, Jaguar and Porsche didn't

Mo!

Reactions: Epymian

maxresdefault.jpg

jaguar-xj220-flames-655x366.png

• Funny
Reactions: Saghost
I am very happy with my Model X, other then some occasional road/wind noise, but I think that has to do with how bad the roads are in Michigan.. they are horrible. Reasons for buying an X over others:

1) Buy American! Im not sure if Jaguar is made in US?
2) Auto pilot! Nuh said
3) Tesla Superchargers.. so easy, so fast, wonderful
4) Tesla customer service is excellent. I heard Porsche is too, not sure about Jaguar
5) Every Joe/Schmo has Porsche or Jaguar or Range Rover.. etc..buy something unique

Mo!

Oh I forgot to mention one more thing. Recently I drove from Lansing, MI to Toronto, Canada and back. It was an amazing trip ,about 12 hours driving total. I wasn't as tired as I usually am with a vehicle that doesn't have autopilot. Anyways, one really cool thing is that once I crossed the border I didn't have cell phone service, but sure enough my Tesla GPS, Internet, and music streaming services all cont'd without a hitch. Its the smaller things, but make a big difference