Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw the first Highland in the wild today, a very lovely looking Ultra Red one. Looks really good.

Still a nonstarter for me for all the reasons that have been mentioned various times before.
So have you actually driven one yet?

I've done a couple of hundred miles in mine now and buttons are already almost insinctive now and it will only get better. The "problems" with indication have had so had so much adverse comment but the reality in use is quite different.

I admit I was apprehensive before buying but even a short test drive convinced me that it wasn't going to be a problem and it has only got better over the last 3 days.

I'm not suggesting button indication will never be a problem but most people with an open mind should adapt fairly easily, even if, like me they have had over 50 years driving with stalks. As for using the screen to select direction it really is easy now and again almost second nature. More so when in many cases forward or reverse has been correctly selected anyway and it's only a question of looking at the arrow.

Ive used the main beam flasher a few times but it's the wiper button which I find to easy to press when auto wipers aren't working as well as they should. Your thumb is almost in the right position anyway with a quick press to add a wipe, and if a change from wiper to constant or intermittent is necessary then the options are straight up on screen just as they would be with the stalk.

So have you actually driven one yet?

I've done a couple of hundred miles in mine now and buttons are already almost insinctive now and it will only get better. The "problems" with indication have had so had so much adverse comment but the reality in use is quite different.

I admit I was apprehensive before buying but even a short test drive convinced me that it wasn't going to be a problem and it has only got better over the last 3 days.

I'm not suggesting button indication will never be a problem but most people with an open mind should adapt fairly easily, even if, like me they have had over 50 years driving with stalks. As for using the screen to select direction it really is easy now and again almost second nature. More so when in many cases forward or reverse has been correctly selected anyway and it's only a question of looking at the arrow.

Ive used the main beam flasher a few times but it's the wiper button which I find to easy to press when auto wipers aren't working as well as they should. Your thumb is almost in the right position anyway with a quick press to add a wipe, and if a change from wiper to constant or intermittent is necessary then the options are straight up on screen just as they would be with the stalk.
Can I ask a question…the old Teslas can still drive if the screen crashes…you can do a two button reset while driving (not recommended)…but how do you drive if the screen is blank in a Highland?

@Zilla91

My parents in their seventies with significant mucle memory from years of stalk usage have absolutely no issue with the indicators in their new stalkless Model 3. They have absolutely no issue with the lack of parking sensors and in fact love the new Hardware 4 cameras. They are very happy with the areas of improvement compared to their old Model 3. They are not "true believers" or whatever other tripe statements you come up with. They're regular users of a car who are able to focus on the bigger picture instead of focusing on small things that are really of no actual consequence. They too had preconceived negative opinions about the lack of stalks, but they have greatly diminshed with actual experience of the vehicle.

So you don't like the vehicle, you have no experience with it. Why are you even posting here in this thread any more? You should try being more open-minded and adaptable - if my 70 year old parents can do it so can you. It's not actually that hard. Be less stubborn.

No and I have no intention of ever doing so.

You can try to spin it as much as you like to justify your purchase, the lack of stalks is not something that works.

And even if the lack of stalks is something I could get used to, I’m not buying a car in 2024 that doesn’t have parking sensors.

Zilla, its not about "justifying the purchase", its about debunking the myth that stalks don't work.
Until you drive the car and experience it for yourself, you shouldn't really pass comment. Otherwise you just join the many other whingers who moan about stalkless highland without any evidence, just an old school, don't like change mindset.
Drive the car for a bit, then share your views.
I was hesitant too, but like the dozens of others on this forum who have actually driven the car and are credible to give an opinion, the lack of stalks for MOST people, isn't an issue.

2024 that doesn’t have parking sensors.
1707124899027.jpeg

And when was the last time you actually bought a car?... The ones you have are still fairly new so why would you anyway 🤷‍♂️
Because I can, if I wanted to.

My parents in their seventies have absolutely no issue with their new stalkless Model 3. They have absolutely no issue with the lack of parking sensors.
That's great, and I hope they have many happy years of problem free driving in their new car

This is a you problem, not a problem with the vehicle. You should try being more open-minded and adaptable - if my 70 year old parents can do it so can you. It's not actually that hard. Be less stubborn.
I don't think I'm the only person with a problem with it, even those who have had a test drive have said it's not great.

You're right, I could adapt, but why would I want to adapt when literally every other brand of car uses stalks in the same location? I'm not wedded to Tesla and this is not an adaption I want to do.

Zilla, its not about "justifying the purchase", its about debunking the myth that stalks don't work.
Except it's not a myth. If you're happy to not indicate properly or you happen to only drive on straight roads then that's great, I'm glad it works for you.

Thanks. It does work for me, and works well. And for the record i live in an area with loads of roundabouts, and its not been an issue for me since day 1. You have to adapt slightly to how to hold the wheel. Its not a big deal. I actually prefer the non-stalk steering wheel now having driven it over a week. Stalks are pointless and serve no purpose, just clutter.

The ultimate true believe has entered the chat.
It is not about us, you didn’t expect many positive reviews of stalkless M3. Now it has come and just accept it that lots of people like it. Stalk or no stalk is always going to be a minor issue and that is not going to stop Tesla selling many model 3. Having driven the 69 plated Model 3 for the last few days, I can see why people like Model 3 and why this will sell like a hot cake. I saw one today at the Trumpington SC - it looked amazing. Imagine a Y with that front and that will be the best looking SUV.

Have there been many? Been a pretty mixed bag from the ones I've read on here who have had a test drive.

Edit: But don't just take my word for it, here's a mad man who actually bought the car and is now regretting it: New Highland UK - stalks
In the end it won't be for everyone, and a high proportion of the negative sentiment are either from people like yourself, who have not driven the car and don't really have any credibility to comment or people who have driven the car for 30 minutes and haven't got used to it.

It takes a couple of days to get comfortable, but once you are its great.

I suggest you

1) Stop commenting because you have no evidence and no credibility
2) Drive the car then share your review
3) Stop trying to negatively influence others of your views when you have no credibility. Keep your dinosaur narrow minded views to yourself