Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Highland UK - stalks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JamesKG

Jan 28, 2024
Essex
I picked up my new Highland yesterday. I hadn't appreciated how difficult it is going to be to drive the car without the indicator stalk. If you do a tight left turn then right, for example, the indicator buttons are in the wrong place given the movement of the steering wheel. Roundabouts/three point turns are going to be really challenging. Also, changing gears without a stalk is not easy either. The car has some major improvements from my 2019 Tesla but I'm not sure I would have bought it had I taken a test drive beforehand so for anyone looking to buy one, I would recommend you try it out first. I'm hoping that Tesla will either relent and come up with an after care kit or someone else will come up with one.

I picked up my new Highland yesterday. I hadn't appreciated how difficult it is going to be to drive the car without the indicator stalk. If you do a tight left turn then right, for example, the indicator buttons are in the wrong place given the movement of the steering wheel. Roundabouts/three point turns are going to be really challenging. Also, changing gears without a stalk is not easy either. The car has some major improvements from my 2019 Tesla but I'm not sure I would have bought it had I taken a test drive beforehand so for anyone looking to buy one, I would recommend you try it out first. I'm hoping that Tesla will either relent and come up with an after care kit or someone else will come up with one.
Lots of talk about stalks (or lack there of) in other threads.

Enhanced Auto (makers of S3XY buttons) are working on Retrofit Stalks but in the mean time if you really struggle you can just get the buttons and out them somewhere more intuitive to you.

If it's bad enough I believe you can return the car.

Actually if you find it affects your driving I recommend you return the car. It's safer for you and other road users and if enough customer do this Tesla might finally get the message.

Could Tesla implement an Auto indicate function to follow Nav? I appreciate that there will be plenty of occasions you’d want to manually engage indicators. Or possibly not follow the Nav route. But it’d match their drive towards automation, and likely cover 90%+ of the “small roundabout” or “left/right” scenarios.

It’s probably the most controversial thing about the new car.

If you were coming to the brand completely cold I could understand not being aware of this in advance, but as a 2019 owner I’m surprised at the lack of apparent research into a new car purchase?
Yep. I haven't driven it but by all accounts, the insulation and cabin noise improvements are good and they are things that interest me, plus the other bits and pieces as well adds up to a fairly compelling reason to upgrade.....apart from the stalks bit!

Overall, a decent bit of progress on some key areas and then they go and fix something that's not even broken. I still can't quite get my head around the lunacy of this decision. I like the rest of the changes though.

It’s probably the most controversial thing about the new car.

If you were coming to the brand completely cold I could understand not being aware of this in advance, but as a 2019 owner I’m surprised at the lack of apparent research into a new car purchase?
Thanks. I was aware of the change but it is only when you drive it that you realise how much of a change this presents on UK roads with multiple roundabouts/sharp turns one way then the other such that the steering wheel (and therefore the buttons) are no longer at 9 o clock/the right way up. Like I say, perhaps others will get on ok with it and perhaps with time I will but I expect the cost-saving Tesla has achieved by doing this will not be worth it assuming I am not alone in disapproving of this change.

Could Tesla implement an Auto indicate function to follow Nav? I appreciate that there will be plenty of occasions you’d want to manually engage indicators. Or possibly not follow the Nav route. But it’d match their drive towards automation, and likely cover 90%+ of the “small roundabout” or “left/right” scenarios.
Currently, the indicators don't even cancel after you've indicated to leave a roundabout. It would be a good first step to link to nav to do this.

Reactions: Simonsquiff
I haven’t driven it yet and I really fancy some of the upgraded features, but I can’t imagine myself ever buying a car without indicator stalks. It’s ludicrous.
I have a 2022 MSLR with a yoke. I never test drove before I drove it off the lot. I was looking forward to something new. The turn signals are easy to find as they have a raised line between them. It took me a week to learn how to use them about 90% without hitting the wrong one. It took about three weeks to learn them 100%. I go through two traffic circles on the way home. They are narrow one lane and we don't use turn signals. We always yield in these small neighborhood circles. I know what a three point turn (TPT) is. But the OP saying signaling in this type of turn doesn't make sense to me. Look at our TPT as a tight U turn. The turn direction is just one direction, never changing. So signal once before initiating.

Reactions: KeithA and Oxid8ter