Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This feature is still in its infancy. It’s not going to be perfect right out of the gate. Tesla will make incremental improvements over the coming weeks. Relaaaaaaaaaaaaaax.

Its not a path to FSD. i think you fail to realize what FSD actual is and the guff between not making a mistake for acouple miles versus not making a mistake for 1 million miles..

Its not a path to FSD. i think you fail to realize what FSD actual is and the guff between not making a mistake for acouple miles versus not making a mistake for 1 million miles..

You honestly think it's possible for FSD to show up one day, out of the blue, as an on/off switch, and you'd expect it to work flawlessly from day one? I'd equate that to writing a new operating system for your computer and debuting it to the world, bug-free; nobody would ever be able to find a flaw in your new OS. Really? That's your true expectations of reality? Of course FSD is a path; an onerous one at that.

Last edited:
Got 42.2 last night (did upgrade via mobile app, thats great!)

Tried it this AM. For reference, I live in So Cal - so follow distance is set to 1 just to somewhat flow with traffic. Given that, I started at Mad Max.
  • My first observation is it appears it has increased the follow distance again when in the NoA mode.
  • It is pretty slow to react to speed up/slow down- again, like follow distance, more so than without NoA but with EAP running.
  • The center console visuals seems less jerky
  • off the wall - base in audio sounds better?stronger? anyone else hear audio changes? could be random.
  • I did the mult-screen media/map + one app. My only complaint is when getting into the car OR closing the 3rd app the media player stays in 'middle' size, versus the smallest setup I prefer.
  • The "end of NoA' notice is nice letting you know to take over when it's on an exit ramp.
Overall the NoA - its young, but will get better. It's OK, but a bit slow in reaction to drive in So Cal. When it helped me merge from one freeway to another it was smooth, but so slow a Prius passed me and merged in front of me, even though I made the lane change, it just didn't speed up as fast as EAP would have. I disabled it at one point and EAP starting accelerating quickly.

It feels like a whole different model of EAP is driving the car which is way more conservative when NoA is engaged.

If I had not been living on V8 for three years, I probably wouldn't care that much.
I get that Tesla isn’t the same as other companies, and I’m fine with coping with their growing pains.
I don’t mind visits to the SC, had 6 so far in 6 months.
I don’t mind full superchargers, I can wait
I don’t mind the beta software, Tesla is still years ahead of even the competition’s future plans.

I’m not super angry that they took it away, I didn’t repeatedly call the support line. They probably knew taking it away was a mistake from EAP participants, but had a lot on their plate.

But for something as simple as two apps open..
It’s not like we haven’t had it for years. We have. They removed it, when clearly it wasn’t impossible to implement.
I’ll take what I can get with this music/music/map combo, this forum has taught me that I’m not qualified to complain about a removal of a feature (yes, it’s a feature) in my own 100k car.
I love V9 improvements, and I’m thankful to be on it. I prefer it over V8, and my only gripe is the camera on top.
So I welcome .42, and any other improvements.
Its better than the previous one :)

I'm unclear on how the lane changes happen. Does the car only suggest and I have to confirm or initiate somehow or is it truly automated?
The IC changes to show the path into the next lane and a message appears at the bottom of the IC that says something like "Confirm lane change to a faster lane" or "Confirm lane change to take exit" I don't remember the exact words. Then you pull the AP stalk once. It then changes lanes when the lane is clear. It isn't totally automated. You do have to pull the stalk.

When it comes to exit lanes, however, it will enter the exit lane on its own. The blinker will blink, and the the car will cross the dotted line (most of the exits near us have dotted lines between driving lanes and exit lanes) and take the exit completely automatically. That was actually kind of cool.

No its not. Please stop saying that!
Its a gimmick as have been proven by the reviews.

Alright there, buddy, simmer....simmer.....

You obviously have some passion(?) around your view on this. I'll just say I stand by my observation. To me, this is progress toward FSD. My car is now doing things in an automated fashion that it couldn't do just yesterday. I'll call that progress.

_jal_ -
I second your report. Just got 42.2 this morning (it is in wide release since I am not Early Access). I have a 2018 Model S 100D.

- Lane changes are smooth and quick
- It alerted me that 5 miles head at your exit there will be lane changes (the right most lane on the dashboard showed a slowly blinking grey line down the center indicating your target lane to exit)
- Lane change suggestions are silent but show on the dashboard
- Suggested lane changes don't seem to go away. Car keeps suggesting, but you can ignore it.
- To just take the lane change suggestion either pull back on AP stalk or push turn signal indicator in proper direction without fully engaging it....car will set turn signal until the move is complete
- I recall the last suggested lane change before the exit comes with an audible "ding" alert, so you don't miss it.
- Lane changes can be initiated as before by setting the turn signal.
- AP 42.2 seems to be smoother than 39.x

I only had about 15 miles on 42.2, so need to play more with it.

Overall it is getting better and it is impressive already.

No its not. Please stop saying that!
Its a gimmick as have been proven by the reviews.

You must be thinking of the driver confirmation for lane changes. Yeah, on the surface, asking the driver for confirmation to make a lane change that the driver could do on their own already might seem like a gimmick. But there is more to Nav on AP than the driver confirmation. Nav on AP can handle on off ramps without driver input. That's not a gimmick!

If you look "under the hood", Nav on AP is actually a pretty big jump for AP:
- The car can now see all lanes and all cars around it and chart the correct path of which lane the car should be in. That's much better situational awareness than V8 had.
- The car can manage on off ramps now without driver input. That not just fulfills a promised EAP feature but represents a new capability. The car can now handle more of highway driving than before.

Definitely not a gimmick!

You must be thinking of the driver confirmation for lane changes. Yeah, on the surface, asking the driver for confirmation to make a lane change that the driver could do on their own already might seem like a gimmick. But there is more to Nav on AP than the driver confirmation. Nav on AP can handle on off ramps without driver input. That's not a gimmick!

If you look "under the hood", Nav on AP is actually a pretty big jump for AP:
- The car can now see all lanes and all cars around it and chart the correct path of which lane the car should be in. That's much better situational awareness than V8 had.
- The car can manage on off ramps now without driver input. That not just fulfills a promised EAP feature but represents a new capability. The car can now handle more of highway driving than before.

Definitely not a gimmick!

Absolutely agreed. Most of us here are actual customers today, and Tesla is still delivering the most ADAS ability in a car you can buy today. I care much less about what will be released in a few months or in 2025.... when it actually happens I will evaluate it.

But for now, v9 represents another big improvement to AP usefulness and Nav On AP is also a huge convenience improvement bundled together with smoothness updates. These kinds of updates are never delivered on traditional cars.

I’m enjoying the journey and look forward to the next year of progress. 2018 has been a great year to be an ap2 owner.

This does not give me confidence that it will handle roundabouts in the UK (we have thousands) with up to 6 exits!

EAP will never handle roundabouts. FSD... who knows. I doubt it, but maybe?

In typical Tesla style, they will probably make it work on the easiest, simplest, most clearly marked roundabout (like the kind with only one lane going around), and even then only when there isn't much if any traffic, and then claim that FSD can handle roundabouts.

Reactions: am_dmd
I'm unclear on how the lane changes happen. Does the car only suggest and I have to confirm or initiate somehow or is it truly automated?

Yes. The car suggests and waits for your confirmation. If no confirmation happens then the suggestion goes away after a number of seconds (10 - 20? not sure; also if the road conditions change before confirmation then the suggestion will go away). With the MS you can confirm with either the turn indicator stalk or the AP stalk. Having tried both, I much prefer confirming with the AP stalk.

Yeah NoA during the daytime is leagues better than at night. Same [gentle sweeping] curves at night is scary, but during the day the car takes them like a champ.

Well a significant fraction of the world's population lives in Northern latitudes where in the winter, it is dark during the commuting hours. (Or for that matter the Southern latitudes in the Southern hemisphere.) Not everybody lives in Southern California; when is Tesla going to figure this out?

By the way, they're going to need sensor cleaning on those side/rear cameras to deal with pretty much every place outside of SoCA too. Not sure what's going to happen with that.

My download from last night

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181029-190038.png
    Screenshot_20181029-190038.png
    476.4 KB · Views: 91