Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Comm Crew DM-1 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great marketing for Celestial Buddies. Also some good PR for NASA and SpaceX. If Anne McClain wasn't a government employee they'd be paying her for increasing sales. Most collectors will likely hold out for a real Earth replica. The original one pictured with Anne will probably end up on display somewhere, perhaps wearing a Silver Snoopy pin. The DM-1 hatch closure is just a few hours away. Suppose the question now is, how soon will Earth be returning to Earth? I'm not sure if anyone can pry it from her hands!
Why is it returning so soon? Typically the cargo dragon is docked for more than a week.

Did this one take any cargo at all?

Picture from Facebook SpaceX splash page. The event will definitely be on NASA TV and on Youtube.
53709529_10213606345259727_2227682356842463232_n.jpg

Picture from Facebook SpaceX splash page. The event will definitely be on NASA TV and on Youtube.
53709529_10213606345259727_2227682356842463232_n.jpg
They may want to update that photoshopped parachute pic. After watching the hatch closure video it appears Earth won't be returning to Mother Earth anytime soon. At least for now it's a playful hostage aboard the ISS. More ka-ching for Celestial Buddies.

They may want to update that photoshopped parachute pic. After watching the hatch closure video it appears Earth won't be returning to Mother Earth anytime soon. At least for now it's a playful hostage aboard the ISS. More ka-ching for Celestial Buddies.
I think Anne McLain would have beat the crap out of anyone wanting to send it back.

Plausible. Also could just be some random glint/prisiming. Also could be navagation lights—you can see similar colors in a pic in post 130 from @SMAlset.

Edit—they’re nav lights. Check post 134, also from @SMAlset.

Edit—lol at me not seeing the colors you were talking about. Yes, dead pixels or possibly single pixel stars. :oops:

Yep, nav lights just like an airplane. At first I wasn’t sure if I was seeing color spots either but as it came closer into view, question answered.

Celestial Buddies has a new more better Earth: Celestial Buddies
In addition to all the other planets, the Sun, Polaris A&B, etc.

Man, Anne McLain is really enjoying her new crewmate:
Anne McClain on Twitter
Anne McClain on Twitter
Anne McClain on Twitter

D1Ag-D7WoAAujnH

Yes they are try to fill demand but IMO Earth is the best looking with the more muted colors. Besides it is the version they sent into the Dragon. Maybe little kids would be fooled and be happy but not older kids!

Sending a plushy toy like Earth who looks so blue and green there was a great way to get small kids involved in watching the telecast and hopefully develop an interest in space exploration. I found myself looking for when Earth would popup.

Last edited:
I would bet money that while Elon was watching the chutes deploy and the capsule splashdown, and now the laboriously slow procedure of moving the Go Searcher into position for recovery, with the capsule sitting there bobbing in the water, at one point he thought something like this: “This is a ridiculous way for a spacecraft to land; real spacecraft land retropropulsively!”

Maybe someday NASA will shake off their old school mentality and let Dragon land using the Super Dracos, and the chutes will be the backup system.

"NASA: "Have to do the reviews, but NOTHING we've seen in the data that would preclude the crewed Demo2 mission from happening later in the year.""

Chris G - NSF on Twitter
Elon is probably breathing again. Although a remote concern, the new asymmetric design of Crew Dragon apparently endured the reentry phase without a hitch. Great shots from the NASA aircraft showing PICA-X flaring off from the heat shield. Also, spectacular video of the four main chutes fully deploying. Watching them periodically kiss one another during descent reminded me of scenes from a hot air balloon festival.

Reactions: e-FTW
I would bet money that while Elon was watching the chutes deploy and the capsule splashdown, and now the laboriously slow procedure of moving the Go Searcher into position for recovery, with the capsule sitting there bobbing in the water, at one point he thought something like this: “This is a ridiculous way for a spacecraft to land; real spacecraft land retropropulsively!”

Maybe someday NASA will shake off their old school mentality and let Dragon land using the Super Dracos, and the chutes will be the backup system.

If it is still possible to do with the current dragon design, no reason why SpaceX can’t do it for non NASA missions.