Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Live streaming from during the hijack wouldn't have much visual impact. It's just a view of the inside of the plain with a bunch of quiet people or a bunch of loud people. You'd need external video or cockpit video in addition or it's boring visually.

I guess maybe a shot from a window seat right as you hit would be interesting but I don't think you'd get much on an internal shot at impact. Might be able to stop on one frame to see the "last thing they saw" before the video stopped.

Live mass viewing of tragedies isn't a new thing.
Being aware of tragedies and atrocities is something as old as the hills. We've just been improving the fidelity of the experience, progressively moving from tales around a campfire to live video from observers, each stage more traumatizing than the last. Now repeat all of those events you listed with live video in first person from multiple angles. It is a level of trauma that media companies would flock to, but which we as a society just don't need.

Reactions: navguy12
Being aware of tragedies and atrocities is something as old as the hills. We've just been improving the fidelity of the experience, progressively moving from tales around a campfire to live video from observers, each stage more traumatizing than the last. Now repeat all of those events you listed with live video in first person from multiple angles. It is a level of trauma that media companies would flock to, but which we as a society just don't need.
Thus personal responsibility, existence of content does not mandate consumption.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Geez. Live streaming from the planes on 9/11. How to traumatize an entire generation.
More like increasing the trauma suffered by the entire country (and beyond its borders) by an order of magnitude, if that is possible. Yes, scary thought. But I am contributing to veering this thread into off topic territory, so…

I think in the next few years most major airlines are going to offer net access on all their flights. Hopefully competition will keep the cost to passengers down.

Reactions: Grendal and JB47394
More like increasing the trauma suffered by the entire country (and beyond its borders) by an order of magnitude, if that is possible. Yes, scary thought. But I am contributing to veering this thread into off topic territory, so…

I think in the next few years most major airlines are going to offer net access on all their flights. Hopefully competition will keep the cost to passengers down.

It'll make missing planes a thing of the past for the most part. Remember searching the Indian Ocean for a flight we had no idea why it was so far off course or where it ended up?

"Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 (MH370/MAS370)[a] was an international passenger flight operated by Malaysia Airlines that disappeared from radar on 8 March 2014 while flying from Kuala Lumpur International Airport in Malaysia to its planned destination, Beijing Capital International Airport in China.[1] The reason for its disappearance has not been determined."

Now imagine if Starlink can give geo data from the last packets of hundreds of devices on board? Much quicker follow up, much smaller search area.

Heck Starlink data logs could probably reconstruct a 3D flight path to the point of the crash. Maybe even get you straight to the debris field before it all sinks or drifts on the currents.

Now imagine if Starlink can give geo data from the last packets of hundreds of devices on board? Much quicker follow up, much smaller search area.

IFE is, unfortunately, a flip of the switch. Not unlike the MH370's transponder that was [almost certainly] nefariously shut off...

That said, apparently Globalstar/Apple satellite find my service works on an aircraft. One could surmise that any future Iridium based D2D might be able to do the same. It's hard to say if Starlink mobile service will work (much heavier protocol) but it's possible one could also squeeze out a basic message that way also.

Plus, if you are on a Boeing plane, it's an avenue for calling for help or contacting your loved ones to say goodbye...
Actually why can't they continuously stream the telemetry from blackbox, or have a dedicated Starlink channel for that. That way we don't have to even retrieve the black box.. and the black box seizes to be a black box !! :cool:

Actually why can't they continuously stream the telemetry from blackbox, or have a dedicated Starlink channel for that. That way we don't have to even retrieve the black box.. and the black box seizes to be a black box !! :cool:
Great idea. The FAA will get right on that and have it implemented ... in 30 years.

Great idea. The FAA will get right on that and have it implemented ... in 30 years.
Why wait for FAA?. The airlines and aircraft manufacturers can do this today with Starlink. And it becomes a good marketing point - "We care for public safety. public safety is no. 1 for us. You are in good hands. blah.. blah.. blah"

And also remember if the data can directly go to Boeing/Airbus, they can detect anomalies much earlier. Not too dissimilar to what Tesla does today for AP and FSD and everything that is happening in their cars. A fleet of 10,000 planes in the sky continuously sending data and a software constantly monitors the data and alerts any anomalies.. this is how software engineering is done anyway.

I bet the 737 Max problem could have been identified before the first crash, if they had realtime telemetry from all 737 Max planes.

Last edited:
Why wait for FAA?. The airlines and aircraft manufacturers can do this today with Starlink. And it becomes a good marketing point - "We care for public safety. public safety is no. 1 for us. You are in good hands. blah.. blah.. blah"

And also remember if the data can directly go to Boeing/Airbus, they can detect anomalies much earlier. Not too dissimilar to what Tesla does today for AP and FSD and everything that is happening in their cars. A fleet of 10,000 planes in the sky continuously sending data and a software constantly monitors the data and alerts any anomalies.. this is how software engineering is done anyway.

I bet the 737 Max problem could have been identified before the first crash, if they had realtime telemetry from all 737 Max planes.
You expect a company that can't even install a non-functional airplane door correctly to do all that??

You expect a company that can't even install a non-functional airplane door correctly to do all that??
Yes, I do. Do I expect the people who blew up their own launch pad to reach the Moon and Mars? Also yes.

If anyone hasn't seen this account of the door failure by a claimed Boeing employee, it's worth a read. It's pretty classic for a company with crappy management.

If the link is at all wonky, it's the pair of comments by user throwawayboeingN704AL.

Will Starlink take on customers that don’t use their dish?
Other satellite dishes are statically-aimed at geostationary satellites and lack the ability to track the fast-moving LEO satellites that makes up Starlink. The Starlink "dishes" have an array of small antennae that allow for beam steering without having to move the hardware. So it's a combination of hardware and software that allows Starlink to work. Each is incompatible with traditional satellite internet systems.