Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - Integrated Flight Test #2 - Starbase TX - Including Post Launch Dissection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plus, there was flow with momentum that would need to be overcome for a reversal.
That would have been interesting to simulate. Would that result in a gas bubble forming at the top of the downcomer, to be compressed by the methane when it violently reseats? Is compressed gas in the downcomer any harsher than pressurized liquid? Obviously, having such a gas bubble reach the engines would be catastrophic, but is it any worse while in the downcomer?

Last edited:
Reactions: scaesare
That would have been interesting to simulate. Would that resulted in a gas bubble forming at the top of the downcomer, to be compressed by the methane when it violently reseats? Is compressed gas in the downcomer any harsher than pressurized liquid? Obviously, having such a gas bubble reach the engines would be catastrophic, but is it any worse while in the downcomer?
I think the cavitation would occur toward the bottom where there is the most mass of fluid pulling upward. Should revert rapidly. Downcomer could suck gas from tank during the event which wouldn't get to the engines until some time later...

I did rough calculations earlier in this thread and came up with a need for double the thrust. Six engines at 50%. That would maintain some booster acceleration even with Starship firing its engines. Then it's a question of how fast Starship would gain distance, how quickly the booster could turn, and how much damage the hot staging ring might take if everything happens more slowly.

It could be very touchy because the effect of Starship's engines will be dropping all through staging. It will be moving farther away, the top of the booster will be moving out of the exhaust, and the aspect ratio of the booster in the exhaust will change. It might be better to run three engines at full power, then throttle them back as the booster turns. But carefully, so as to avoid negative acceleration. Once the booster is clear of Starship, then they can start piling on the thrust for the turn.

Just. Don't. Hit. Starship.

Ah so you did... my bad for not recalling a week later.. :oops:

Yeah, I think not being at the limit of your ability to throttle down would be useful....

As Falcon 1 showed, hitting the booster, (quoting Dr. Peter Venkman) "It would be bad."

Reactions: JB47394
I think the cavitation would occur toward the bottom where there is the most mass of fluid pulling upward. Should revert rapidly. Downcomer could suck gas from tank during the event which wouldn't get to the engines until some time later...
Yeah, I was thinking about the latter. The flow would create a void at the entrance to the downcomer, then the reseated methane might trap a bubble of gas. It would have to travel the length of the downcomer, and may very well be broken up into lots of small bubbles, but it wouldn't be good when it arrived at the engines.

Engines did start exploding a bit later.

As Falcon 1 showed, hitting the booster, (quoting Dr. Peter Venkman) "It would be bad."
Ironically, boosters and second stages regularly "cross their streams". Beautiful effect.

• Funny
Reactions: mongo and scaesare
Three booster concerns need to be addressed:

- need to have positive acceleration just enough for the fuel to stay at the bottom

- the impact of staying in Starship's engine blast for a bit longer.

- don't hit Starship.
I’m guessing SpaceX’s priority is the opposite order of your list (not that you listed them in priority). For this first hot staging attempt they probably were over cautious about not hitting Starship. Now that they have real data they can start to improve the maneuver to meet all three goals.

I did rough calculations earlier in this thread and came up with a need for double the thrust. Six engines at 50%. That would maintain some booster acceleration even with Starship firing its engines. Then it's a question of how fast Starship would gain distance, how quickly the booster could turn, and how much damage the hot staging ring might take if everything happens more slowly.

It could be very touchy because the effect of Starship's engines will be dropping all through staging. It will be moving farther away, the top of the booster will be moving out of the exhaust, and the aspect ratio of the booster in the exhaust will change. It might be better to run three engines at full power, then throttle them back as the booster turns. But carefully, so as to avoid negative acceleration. Once the booster is clear of Starship, then they can start piling on the thrust for the turn.

Just. Don't. Hit. Starship.
Good analysis. Another way to look at it: SpaceX's simulations for the hot staging must have had Starship initially separating from Booster at some particular rate, say 0.6 g. "All" that's needed (in quotes because it's an enormously difficult problem) is to adjust the thrust profiles to more closely match that trajectory. The problem isn't that the separation would then happen more slowly, because they would be adjusting it to happen at the same rate as initially modeled. (In other words, the separation in IFT-2 almost certainly happened _more quickly_ than anticipated, so slowing it back down to the originally modeled rate is probably a good thing, not a bad thing.) Also, to the extent this slowing down could be accomplished by reducing Starship's initial thrust rather than increasing Booster's thrust, that would be less stress on the hot staging ring than initially modeled, not more. The whole problem seems vaguely similar somehow to rapidly shifting gears with a stick-shift. Easy to get wrong at first with an unfamiliar car, but once it's dialed in it should become second nature.

Another way to look at it
You seem to be suggesting a cooler staging technique. Do you believe that's preferable or are you just pointing out that they could back off Starship's thrust to solve the problem? The goal of hot staging is to retain velocity, so I would think that SpaceX wants to have vehicle thrust levels as high as can be managed.

Still no word from SpaceX on what happened to SS that forced the system to terminate ?
I haven't heard anything official. We saw the ship venting something, and LOX levels were dropping fast. So it's assumed it was venting LOX, and the big question is why that happened. They didn't lose any engines at the time of LOX venting, so something else caused it.

One theory that I've seen suggests that they were diverting too much oxygen to the task of autogenous pressurization. That would explain both the venting and the drop in LOX levels. The engines are throttled down at some point in the flight to keep accelerations down to about 3.5g. That entire process is certainly unique for this flight, so if SpaceX didn't get something just right, that pressurization problem could take place. I have zero notion of whether it's likely.

That theory fits with the fact that the Starship just wound down on LOX with all engines running, and then SpaceX terminated the flight.

Maybe it was as simple as a stuck tap-off valve on the oxygen turbopump.

I haven't heard anything official. We saw the ship venting something, and LOX levels were dropping fast. So it's assumed it was venting LOX, and the big question is why that happened. They didn't lose any engines at the time of LOX venting, so something else caused it.

One theory that I've seen suggests that they were diverting too much oxygen to the task of autogenous pressurization. That would explain both the venting and the drop in LOX levels. The engines are throttled down at some point in the flight to keep accelerations down to about 3.5g. That entire process is certainly unique for this flight, so if SpaceX didn't get something just right, that pressurization problem could take place. I have zero notion of whether it's likely.

That theory fits with the fact that the Starship just wound down on LOX with all engines running, and then SpaceX terminated the flight.

Maybe it was as simple as a stuck tap-off valve on the oxygen turbopump.
Or quick disconnect leak that got worse.

You seem to be suggesting a cooler staging technique. Do you believe that's preferable or are you just pointing out that they could back off Starship's thrust to solve the problem? The goal of hot staging is to retain velocity, so I would think that SpaceX wants to have vehicle thrust levels as high as can be managed.
Just pointing out that they could. To the extent it allows them to make the hot staging ring less massive, it may turn out to be a performance win. But mostly just observing that there are multiple ways for SpaceX to mitigate the hot staging failure without requiring a hardware redesign. As soon as the separation occurs, the more of Booster's fuel that can be reserved for boostback/landing, the better. So if Booster uses one ton less fuel during hot staging, that's one more ton of fuel it could apply pre-staging to accelerate Starship, and that's a win too. (Just before separation, ~3/4 of the mass of the stack is Starship.)

Or quick disconnect leak that got worse.
I watched the footage again. The venting started on the left and was sustained. Later, there's a puff on the right, and then all the venting stops. LOX and CH4 use seems to stabilize, but then they shut down the engines and trigger the FTS shortly afterwards. Note that the ship was accelerating right until engine shutdown. I didn't do any numbers to see if the acceleration was dropping off. I'm assuming that the engines were nominal.

The part that bothers me is that it appears to vent from opposite sides. That makes no sense because the QD and vents are on one side.

Come to think of it, it would take some pretty catastrophic autogenous pressurization failure to dump that much LOX.

As I have too much time on my hands, I tried to calculate the oxygen loss rate from the video. Here's the timeline I came up with

Mission TimeOxygen loss/burn rate
5:322.72 tons/secondStable flight
7:072.61 tons/secondThrottled down, venting starts
7:403.06 tons/secondPuff on right, but still venting
7:553.06 tons/secondVenting stops

If correct, then it was venting nearly a half ton of oxygen per second. Note that the second line in the table shows a reduction in oxygen flow due to having had the engines already throttled down for a while. In other words, the venting didn't start when the engines were throttled down.

Here's a chart from NASASpaceFlight's forums for the big picture, but without the raw numbers. It shows that Starship was accelerating right to the end. I don't see a reduction in engine performance, except as a result of throttling down.

F_btpQtaYAAd-Ri

I guess I have to add that the chart shows throttle-down happening after the initial venting, while I have a reduced flow rate before venting. shrug

Last edited:
I watched the footage again. The venting started on the left and was sustained. Later, there's a puff on the right, and then all the venting stops. LOX and CH4 use seems to stabilize, but then they shut down the engines and trigger the FTS shortly afterwards. Note that the ship was accelerating right until engine shutdown. I didn't do any numbers to see if the acceleration was dropping off. I'm assuming that the engines were nominal.

The part that bothers me is that it appears to vent from opposite sides. That makes no sense because the QD and vents are on one side.

Come to think of it, it would take some pretty catastrophic autogenous pressurization failure to dump that much LOX.

As I have too much time on my hands, I tried to calculate the oxygen loss rate from the video. Here's the timeline I came up with

TimestampOxygen loss/burn rate
5:322.72 tons/secondStable flight
7:072.61 tons/secondThrottled down, venting starts
7:403.06 tons/secondPuff on right, but still venting
7:553.06 tons/secondVenting stops

If correct, then it was venting nearly a half ton of oxygen per second. Note that the second line in the table shows a reduction in oxygen flow due to having had the engines already throttled down for a while. In other words, the venting didn't start when the engines were throttled down.

Here's a chart from NASASpaceFlight's forums for the big picture, but without the raw numbers. It shows that Starship was accelerating right to the end. I don't see a reduction in engine performance, except as a result of throttling down.

F_btpQtaYAAd-Ri

I guess I have to add that the chart shows throttle-down happening after the initial venting, while I have a reduced flow rate before venting. shrug
JB - appreciate all your analysis and participation.

If we as casual enthusiasts are this excited to split hairs and analyze, I am just wondering how cool and fun it would be for those SpaceX rocket engineers who are making this thing work *and* getting paid for it.

If we as casual enthusiasts are this excited to split hairs and analyze, I am just wondering how cool and fun it would be for those SpaceX rocket engineers who are making this thing work *and* getting paid for it.
I'm sure those guys want to live at work. It's what I did as an idealistic young software engineer. I'd certainly be doing it for SpaceX if I was young enough and good enough.

Just pointing out that they could. To the extent it allows them to make the hot staging ring less massive, it may turn out to be a performance win. But mostly just observing that there are multiple ways for SpaceX to mitigate the hot staging failure without requiring a hardware redesign. As soon as the separation occurs, the more of Booster's fuel that can be reserved for boostback/landing, the better. So if Booster uses one ton less fuel during hot staging, that's one more ton of fuel it could apply pre-staging to accelerate Starship, and that's a win too. (Just before separation, ~3/4 of the mass of the stack is Starship.)
How does the Booster retain an additional ton of fuel if it's the Starship that's throttling away at less thrust?

If Ship is generating less thrust, that's less thrust booster has to counteract while in close proximity to stay acceleration positive.

It would seem that if the thought is that that thrust impingement on the front of the booster caused rapid reduction in acceleration, leading to fuel slosh, you'd need to keep the booster thrust up as well. Obviously not to the point of ramming starship, but having Starship pull away at half the rate it did originally, you'd want to keep the booster throttled up to minimize prop slosh, no? You might need another couple of secs to gain clearance before starting the flip maneuver, which would actually beurn more fuel...

It would seem that if the thought is that that thrust impingement on the front of the booster caused rapid reduction in acceleration, leading to fuel slosh, you'd need to keep the booster thrust up as well. Obviously not to the point of ramming starship, but having Starship pull away at half the rate it did originally, you'd want to keep the booster throttled up to minimize prop slosh, no? You might need another couple of secs to gain clearance before starting the flip maneuver, which would actually beurn more fuel...

Good point, trading thrust for time, area under the curve, math...

Reactions: scaesare
Good point, trading thrust for time, area under the curve, math...
Hmmm I originally thought Starship engine lights were staggered, RVacs first followed by the SL Raptors, but re-watching the HUD on the webcast, they all show lighting at once...

Anything you've seen if they were all at 100%? Do you think the RVacs lighting at 100% at hot stage T-0 would be sufficient to pull away?