Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify Bitrate - Premium Connectivity vs Hotspot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Premium Connectivity, but from my research it seems as though the Spotify App In the car is limited in bitrate, and when connected to HotSpot WiFi it will stream at a higher bitrate.... I know bluetooth solves this, but I like using the built-in Spotify.

With that said, I have an extra AT&T NetGear Wifi HotSpot I'm not using, should I keep it plugged in the vehicle and keep the vehicle always connected to WiFi?

Will this increase my Spotify BitRate but also still allow me to use all the Premium Connectivity features (ie: Live Sentry Cam, Traffic Visualization, etc)...

Any downsides?

You won’t be able to use Premium Connectivity features unless you pay for Premium Connectivity, even with a hotspot.

Regardless of the bitrate, can you actual hear a difference using the built-in app vs. streaming via Bluetooth? If not, why worry about it? Bluetooth has limitations too, so whatever bitrate your phone is getting is not necessarily what you’ll get via Bluetooth.

You won’t be able to use Premium Connectivity features unless you pay for Premium Connectivity, even with a hotspot.

To answer this, car came with 1 year Premium Connectivity, so it'll work even if im connected to hotspot right?

Good point, im going to go do some listening tests but I did notice a difference in one song between Bluetooth / Integrated Spotify already.

My one year free connectivity ended in 2023. I started to use my iPhone as a hot spot to connect Slacker and the browser. I don’t bother now as I can just stream my music from the phone and use an iPad (phone as hotspot) while I wait for the wife shopping.

My one year free connectivity ended in 2023. I started to use my iPhone as a hot spot to connect Slacker and the browser. I don’t bother now as I can just stream my music from the phone and use an iPad (phone as hotspot) while I wait for the wife shopping.
If you only care about streaming music, that works. If you want any other Premium Connectivity features (traffic display, satellite view, Sentry live camera, etc.) the hotspot won't do it for you.

Reactions: Cal1