Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taycan Takedown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car Dragtimes has in his vids is my car with me driving. I did the below runs this morning. Launch Mode used, full Ludicrous + easter egg mode, and on regular asphalt surface streets. Temperature around 83 degrees.
Thanks for posting this. Confirms Topgear's 0-60 time and trap speed (and using a Raven Model S and all launch optimizations). Do you happen to know if Dragy subtracts rollout from the 1/4 mile time?

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark
I didn't see anyone mention this yet: Top gear had range mode on, and this effectively disables the battery heater. Of course, any test driver that isn't incompetent or trying to cheat would take a car out of "range mode" for a performance test.

Reactions: bhzmark
I did own both a Model S and a Model 3 and I could argue that both are totally overpriced. Why? Quality.

Look at the taycan in detail and the number of options you can choose. This is something entirely different and it is not gonna change through some software updates.

All this fancy youtube 0-60 analysis blabla. Most of the time I see the Model S on the right lanes alongside VW Golf and Opel Corsas. Obviously this is where it belongs to. It‘s a wannabe supercar slayer video star with no real performance whatsoever. A Taycan can do high Autobahn speed over a long period. From an engineering point of view this is a totally different ballpark. And this is just the way Porsche has always done it. Be conservative and overdeliver whereas Mr.Musk usually shouts out loud and totally disappoints afterwards.

I did own both a Model S and a Model 3 and I could argue that both are totally overpriced. Why? Quality.

Look at the taycan in detail and the number of options you can choose. This is something entirely different and it is not gonna change through some software updates.

All this fancy youtube 0-60 analysis blabla. Most of the time I see the Model S on the right lanes alongside VW Golf and Opel Corsas. Obviously this is where it belongs to. It‘s a wannabe supercar slayer video star with no real performance whatsoever. A Taycan can do high Autobahn speed over a long period. From an engineering point of view this is a totally different ballpark. And this is just the way Porsche has always done it. Be conservative and overdeliver whereas Mr.Musk usually shouts out loud and totally disappoints afterwards.

Overpriced... I want what you are smoking.

Adding a radiator with a higher heat rejection or a water pump with a higher flow is easy. Why is no one talking about how inefficient the Taycan is even with a 2-speed transmission?

Last edited:
Why is no one talking about how inefficient the Taycan is even with a 2-speed transmission?
I've never driven a Porsche that was (fuel) efficient.
Got to buy a Toyota Prius or something for that.

Those 305 wide tires will take a lot of energy but will give goooood cornering grip.
25--artikel23360bild01jpg---2c1d88c4fc34ab28.jpg

I've never driven a Porsche that was (fuel) efficient.
Got to buy a Toyota Prius or something for that.

Those 305 wide tires will take a lot of energy but will give goooood cornering grip.

Why pretend the ICE and EV are exactly the same? Range is the killer feature on all EV's. The more you get, the less you care about charging.

So why are you still here on this forum? Kind of like someone that wants to bad mouth an ex they supposedly left. Just MTF on!

Seriously we really don't care that you think Musk is a disappointment and that the cars suck. I don't go on the Porsche sites and tell them how bad their cars are.

More details here... Tesla achieves record time at Nürburgring, beats Porsche Taycan, but likely still unofficial - Electrek

A witness said that Tesla’s “Plaid” Model S already crushed the Porsche Taycan’s Nürburgring time, which Tesla confirmed in their own testing, but the time hasn’t been made official by the track.Tesla said that it would be making improvements and head back in October. Sure enough, the updated Model S Plaid prototypes were spotted there last week as we saw some prototypes try some hot laps at the Nürburgring racetrack. Now Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport, who have people spying on the track, says that Tesla achieved a new record time with one of the prototypes:

Somehow, they managed to get hold of a piece of free track and were able to burn twice 7:13-minute hand-stopped laps into the asphalt, according to our local source. Thus, Tesla again undercut their also unofficial time of 7:23 minutes from the previous weeks. Aboard the blue Tesla Model S sat the designated Nordschleife expert and racing driver Thomas Mutsch.

The publication’s sources recorded the laps themselves, so it’s not official and still not clear if they were attempted through Nordschleife’s official process. However, Auto Motor und Sport has accurately reported Tesla’s lap times at the Nürburgring race track before.

If the Taycan does better in EPA rating than about 36kWh/100 mi ( Model S P100D does about 35kWh/100mi), I would say that Porsche is doing well, and that shows they have a close-to-competitive-efficiency drivetrain. That would give it 260mi EPA range, assuming the same size 95kWh battery and they do the same battery limiting as in the e-tron (I think this is about the same (slightly less) EPA range as the P3D+ would get, if they tested it).

It's true we might not see those official numbers for a while...

They did not do better than 36kWh/100mi. Taycan officially taken down. ;)

It's comically bad for the Turbo. :D I guess they need a larger turbo?

It's interesting how the highway efficiency is slightly better than the city efficiency. That is unusual for an EV. Of course, everything about this result is unusual.

Anyway, at the maximum 350kW charger (assuming you can find one), the Porsche will be adding miles at the maximum rate of ~800 rated miles per hour, vs. the Tesla Model 3 at about 1000 rated miles per hour (at a 250kW charger). So with the Porsche you'll have to stop more often and it will take longer to charge. Seems like a winner.

:eek:

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 11.41.55 AM.png

Last edited: