Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they achieve FSD with the current 3.0 hardware, then they should install whatever hardware in our cars to make them FSD. It wouldn’t be physically impossible. Might not even be that difficult.

Umm, that’s precisely what Tesla has publicly committed to do for all purchasers of FSD.

FSD holiday sneak preview is HW3 only per Elon on twitter. Nice job rewarding early adopters

What led you to be surprised and offended that features Tesla explicitly developed a new computer to support only work on said new computer?

Umm, that’s precisely what Tesla has publicly committed to do for all purchasers of FSD.

What led you to be surprised and offended that features Tesla explicitly developed a new computer to support only work on said new computer?

What makes you think I'm surprised or offended? I think it's a great idea to make early adopters wait and get all the kinks figured out!

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
You said it was precisely what they publicly committed to. Do you have any evidence to back up this claim with?

“Anyone who bought FSD will get it”

You’ve gotta really tie yourself into a knot to arrive at any reasonable interpretation of that sentence which can mean Tesla is going to give you a FSD computer that doesn’t actually work for FSD with the rest of the car’s hardware.

Again, if you bought FSD, Tesla owes you FSD (the FEATURES, not the computer), and whatever is necessary to enable it.

BD8EEB4B-2E24-4E1F-8D7F-B1110EB8FDAF.jpeg

“Anyone who bought FSD will get it”

You’ve gotta really tie yourself into a knot to arrive at any reasonable interpretation of that sentence which can mean Tesla is going to give you a FSD computer that doesn’t actually work for FSD with the rest of the car’s hardware.

Again, if you bought FSD, Tesla owes you FSD (the FEATURES, not the computer), and whatever is necessary to enable it.

View attachment 491120

In the pedo guy trial, I think Elon's lawyer argued that whatever Elon says on Twitter shouldn't be taken at face value. So this may apply to all of Elon's tweets technically.

Reactions: am_dmd and aaron0k
I purchased the FSD upgrade when it was an extra £1,900 on my Enhanced Autopilot AP2.5/MCU1 2017 not so I could get FSD as personally (my opinion only) FSD will not be available in the UK anytime soon and doubtful within the timeframe of keeping the car.
I purchased FSD so that the computer would be upgraded to HW3.0 to future proof the car. To be honest, I wish I hadn’t now and just stuck with what I had as I can’t see any UK retrofits of the computer being done anytime soon, especially with MCU2/AP2.5’s taking precedence and with all the rumours/facts/fiction around what is needed.
Even though things like traffic cone detection isn’t available without HW3 which now makes a differentiation of having 2.0/2.5 vs 3.0 I just don’t feel like it will happen for a long time. Hopefully I’m wrong and suddenly Tesla will start sending out rangers to swap out all of our computers.
Whether a MCU2 retrofit will be available to purchase at some point to enable a better experience and some of the new goodies that are not relevant to actual driving the car but better for other uses (if your bothered about that stuff) is still a very grey area.