Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my first post.. hi everyone.
I have a reservation but have not placed the order yet.
I have a daughter who has another year or so on her P plate. I trust her and want her to be able to drive the Model 3 when required. Unfortunately, all current Tesla models are banned for P1/P2 in NSW (probably other states too).
It should be easy enough for Tesla to make a driving mode for junior drivers. Probably Chill mode is good enough for that purpose. However, I don't think the authority will recognise that.
I'm just wondering if anyone else is going to have this issue.

This is my first post.. hi everyone.
I have a reservation but have not placed the order yet.
I have a daughter who has another year or so on her P plate. I trust her and want her to be able to drive the Model 3 when required. Unfortunately, all current Tesla models are banned for P1/P2 in NSW (probably other states too).
It should be easy enough for Tesla to make a driving mode for junior drivers. Probably Chill mode is good enough for that purpose. However, I don't think the authority will recognise that.
I'm just wondering if anyone else is going to have this issue.
Hi there!
Chill mode definately works and gives parents peace of mind. I suspect our authorities are a long way off accepting electronic restrictors, however as digital cars start to become mainstream it will have to be resolved.

NSW and QLD (and maybe others) define a High Powered (P restricted) vehicle as one having a power to weight ratio of greater than 130 Kw/tonne; the Model 3 SR+ has (I think) a power to weight ratio of 119 Kw/tonne so should be OK for a P plater in those states.

Victoria has a similar limitation with PWR >130 kW/t. Vicroads has a database of allowable and restricted vehicles. This shows both the 3SR+ and 3P as banned. Only the SR X and S are allowed to be driven on P plates. (I have 2 P platers who miss out while the other still on his L's would be OK for now).
VicRoads Vehicles

NSW and QLD (and maybe others) define a High Powered (P restricted) vehicle as one having a power to weight ratio of greater than 130 Kw/tonne; the Model 3 SR+ has (I think) a power to weight ratio of 119 Kw/tonne so should be OK for a P plater in those states.

I checked the list in this Transport for NSW site. SR+ is also banned. The only Tesla that is probably allowed is the 2014 S60 (the site says to contact RMS for this model).
Even if chill mode technically satisfy the low-performance requirement, putting P plates on a banned vehicle is likely to be illegal. In the future, they should work out a scheme to allow new drivers to drive a safe high performance car like Teslas with the 'slow mode setting'.

According to the initial specs the SR+ would have a little over 128 kW/t as the motor was rated 283 hp (211 kW) and the weight of the car is 1645kg according to wiki: Tesla Model 3 - Wikipedia
though with Tesla that power may have ben increased since by software update, so might have tipped over the 130 kW/t limit. It could also be that the local people in charge of the allowed list do not like that car...

Victoria has a similar limitation with PWR >130 kW/t. Vicroads has a database of allowable and restricted vehicles. This shows both the 3SR+ and 3P as banned. Only the SR X and S are allowed to be driven on P plates. (I have 2 P platers who miss out while the other still on his L's would be OK for now).
VicRoads Vehicles
How does 2019 Tesla Model S Standard Range Auto AWD get approved for Probationary drivers and M3 SR+ does not? I would suspect the AWD Model S would accelerate much faster and would have higher power to weight ratio.

Not sure, just seems to be $1k cheaper on the performance and I think the same on the Sr+. Also looks like the upgrade option is down $300 as well. Wish I could get my 1k back.. oh well, not worth cancelling the deposit and reordering I don't think.