Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 vs Model S comparison slides

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a feeling that Elon and Tesla are thinking that Model S sales might be dropping off due to potential Model S buyers waiting for the Model 3.
Honestly, I believe that people who can afford Model S's are unfortunately dwindling or that Tesla EV market is saturated. I'm surprised that so many people have been able to afford a Model S which shows you how much I know.

I believe its a coincidence that the Model S sales might be retreating "at the same time" that the Model S customer base that can afford the car is saturated "at the same time" that the Model 3 version is being birthed.

I look at it this way. I believe that the birth of the Model 3 is a true blessing in that it allows for a Tesla customer base to be able to afford a Tesla without "financially" over-extending themselves. I believe there are potential Model S buyers that will now not buy a Model S because the cost of the Model S would put them right over the edge of what they can afford - all due to a less optioned ( so what ) Tesla being available soon.

Lastly...I don't understand why Elon seems to be thinking that its just a matter of choice to buy a Model 3 vs a Model S. Elon...I hope you aren't now that disconnected from society to know what regular people can or can't afford.

A lot of people who buy cars buy the ones they do based on what they can afford...and sometimes a little above what they can afford. Billionaires can select what they want without cost in mind. Most people aren't billionaires. I believe many model 3 reservationists would love to have a model S ( many wont for various reasons ), however they can't responsibly afford one....hence their model 3 reservation. That's my position right now. I would love to have a Model S, however I think for me it would be more financially feasible for me to get the "all buttons checked" model 3....while having full knowledge that the Model S has many more options.

Elon...for me Its a financial choice not a "desire choice".

Tesla is just trying to educate their fans and customers that they are just like any other car company. Because they are so "different" they have attracted a different and possibly more educated customer base than any other car company. But please remember the MSRP of a Mercedes Benz S Class is 97k. The MSRP of a Mercedes Benz C Class is 37k. hummm...

Tesla has done MANY things different and new and cool from other car companies, but having a higher end sedan and a lower end sedan priced significantly different is not one of them.

The 1500 configurations on a Model S does not inlcude options like the premium upgrades package, premium sound, or autopilot.

Just 7 colors, 2 roofs, 4 wheels, 5 batteries and motors (75, 75D, 90D, 100D, P100D) and 6 interior options is 1680 configurations. Add in premium sound and we are at 3360, add the subzero and premium upgrades packages and we are at 13,440 and if we add AP and FSD and we are at 53760.
Rear facing jump seats would make that 107520 and we still didn't include the carbon fibre trim and the rear spoiler, red breaks, on the P100D.

So since the Model S has way more than 1500 configurations, I'd say the less than 100 on the 3 are just paint, battery+motor, wheels and interior, but not other options.

So 4 paint, 4 motor+battery 2 wheels and 3 interior options?

So 4 paint, 4 motor+battery 2 wheels and 3 interior options?

We've already seen 5 colors for the Model 3 RCs (white, black, red, blue and silver). Also AWD doesn't start till next year, so that won't be available as a configuration at launch either.

I'm guessing it'll be 5 paint, 2 battery options, 3 wheels (upgraded design on either 18" or 20" size) and 3 interior options at launch.

I guess you are assuming, then, that Model 3 will launch with better specs than this comparison sheet suggests? This comparison sheet is prepared by Tesla. A little over a month prior to the expected Model 3 launch. Tesla knows what the figures are and they chose to made this comparison sheet. If it is misleading, it is on Tesla.

That said, I guess a range of 238 miles could still fly if everything else is according to this sheet. Maybe I'd just squeeze that into a reasonable interpretation of 215+ miles. It is still clearly short of what Model S offers.

But if Tesla launches a 240+ mile, under 5.5 second, glass roofed Model 3 come July, then definitely this would have been misleading, as a buyer buying a Model S would have been misled into thinking these things are clearly superior on the Model S based on this comparison sheet.
You are coming across as desperate to find some kind of fault here.

You are coming across as desperate to find some kind of fault here.

You are coming across just desperate.

No, I do believe the sheet is accurate, to a certain degree. But if we'd include every option, less than 100 configurations just seems too low. Maybe they will prove me wrong, but unless there are no options at all, it just can't really work.

5 colors, 5 versions of the car(e.g. 55, 55D 75, 75D,P75D) and 2 interiors equals 50 configurations. Add just one single option to select, like autopilot and we have 100, which can't be less than 100, by definition. So no roof option, no AP option, no wheel option, no winter package, no premium interior.

But we know there will at least be an AP option and a roof option. So will it only come in one color? To me it just doesn't work, if we include all options.

So I was just speculating how it could work. Do you have a better solution?

You are coming across just desperate.

No, I do believe the sheet is accurate, to a certain degree. But if we'd include every option, less than 100 configurations just seems too low. Maybe they will prove me wrong, but unless there are no options at all, it just can't really work.

5 colors, 5 versions of the car(e.g. 55, 55D 75, 75D,P75D) and 2 interiors equals 50 configurations. Add just one single option to select, like autopilot and we have 100, which can't be less than 100, by definition. So no roof option, no AP option, no wheel option, no winter package, no premium interior.

But we know there will at least be an AP option and a roof option. So will it only come in one color? To me it just doesn't work, if we include all options.

So I was just speculating how it could work. Do you have a better solution?
Speculating? Guessing? Just making stuff up? It's all semantics...

For the ones who are interested in getting what those specs mean Trevor did a video about it:
What he heard is that the specs sheet given to the stores does not include Model 3 Premium Features because they are not definitive yet, or Tesla doesn't want to disclose them all yet.
That is an omission, it does not mean Model 3 will not have any of those features available. He also explains the number of customization options very well.
I don't see how the Model 3 is looking worse with this spec sheet:
- 5.6 seconds 0-60 is still under the 6 seconds promised.
- 215+ miles range is still in the promised range.
- Pay per use supercharging is also not news, most Model 3 buyers did not expect free supercharging included in the pricing and not that many expected the ability to purchase lifetime supercharge using.
- Sitting for 5 adults is also no news.
- The cargo space is news, but it seems to be more than other cars in the same category, as expected because of the frunk.
- 1 display was there since the reveal.
- Delivery time of more than one year for new reservations was also expected.

For the ones who are interested in getting what those specs mean Trevor did a video about it:
What he heard is that the specs sheet given to the stores does not include Model 3 Premium Features because they are not definitive yet, or Tesla doesn't want to disclose them all yet.
That is an omission, it does not mean Model 3 will not have any of those features available. He also explains the number of customization options very well.
I don't see how the Model 3 is looking worse with this spec sheet:
- 5.6 seconds 0-60 is still under the 6 seconds promised.
- 215+ miles range is still in the promised range.
- Pay per use supercharging is also not news, most Model 3 buyers did not expect free supercharging included in the pricing and not that many expected the ability to purchase lifetime supercharge using.
- Sitting for 5 adults is also no news.
- The cargo space is news, but it seems to be more than other cars in the same category, as expected because of the frunk.
- 1 display was there since the reveal.
- Delivery time of more than one year for new reservations was also expected.
I thought for sure folks would be upset that Tesla isn't going to offer some free kWh's for use for Model 3 owners (like say 200kWh instead of 400).

Speculating? Guessing? Just making stuff up? It's all semantics...

If this comparison sheet is an accurate representation of Model 3 as it launches next month, I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with it - at all. So, at this time, in my books Tesla has done nothing wrong with this anti-selling sheet as long as it really is accurate. I hope my feelings on this one stay that way.

You can hardly blame people for being slightly sceptical after the way Tesla has behaved in the past year or two.

I think the customization they are talking about is mainly exterior/interior/superficial customizations like color, roof, wheels, and interior choices. I think other options that are not visually noted like EAP, FSD, premium stereo are left out.

I thought for sure folks would be upset that Tesla isn't going to offer some free kWh's for use for Model 3 owners (like say 200kWh instead of 400).

I think they still might despite the way it's written. I think it would be a major mistake to not include any credits especially when the 3 gets past its reservation base. The general public will need the free credit so they don't mentally feel limited by range.

Reactions: Railhawk52
If this comparison sheet is an accurate representation of Model 3 as it launches next month, I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with it - at all. So, at this time, in my books Tesla has done nothing wrong with this anti-selling sheet as long as it really is accurate. I hope my feelings on this one stay that way.

You can hardly blame people for being slightly sceptical after the way Tesla has behaved in the past year or two.
All of the "uproar" about the Model 3 here has been over rumors that the people that are complaining started. People are getting massively bent out of shape over things that Tesla never said and even worse, they are claiming wrong doing because Tesla is still trying to sell cars to people right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: DR61
I'm really puzzled how the 3 can only have 14 cubic feet of trunk+frunk capacity. That means the 3's trunk is likely no more than 11-12 cubic feet.

For comparison, a 2017 Chevy Cruze has 14.8 cubic feet of space in its trunk. And it is an inch shorter than the 3. I really don't get how the trunk of the 3 is that small?

Reactions: jsrawa
I'm really puzzled how the 3 can only have 14 cubic feet of trunk+frunk capacity. That means the 3's trunk is likely no more than 11-12 cubic feet.

For comparison, a 2017 Chevy Cruze has 14.8 cubic feet of space in its trunk. And it is an inch shorter than the 3. I really don't get how the trunk of the 3 is that small?
maybe the trunk floor is higher in the 3? to accommodate the AWD?

Reactions: Puppy7505

Easy, they maximized cabin space at the expense of trunk space. They made this pretty clear during the reveal event last year when they talked about moving the dashboard further forward.

I am still standing by my guess that some of the base model configuration options you can chose on the S are going to be bundled on the 3. I still think they'll be 7 paint colors same as the S because why wouldn't there be? I don't see them not offering a dark grey (midnight silver) because that is one of the most popular car colors here. Also I am under the impression that the dual motor option and MAYBE the performance option will be on the configuration utility at launch but will have some kind of disclaimer that states they won't be shipping until beginning or mid 2018 respectively.

So here is my guess... (I know this is way more complicated than just multiplying because I am limiting selections based on trim.

Assuming the <100 configuration statement includes dual motor and performance. This is how a lot of car companies are moving.

First there will be 7 paint colors available for all options.

55, 55D, 75, and 75D (84 combinations):
Includes standard wheels
3 interior options: Base (textile seats, metal roof), Premium (black leather or vegan white: includes sunroof and seat memory)

P75D (14 possible combinations)
Comes standard with performance wheels
2 interior options: Black or Vegan

This brings the total to 98. And stated as above I think that other on/off options are not included in the configuration. There might be a premium option that includes even more with the interior, an option for premium sound, and of course the autopilot options.