Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Ogre called this pricing scheme out just before the Model Y 2170 price hike. Previously the tiny price difference didn’t make sense. Now the price difference is starting to positively impact sales of the Model Y 4680.

Still don’t know the purpose of the Model Y 4680 amidst Tesla’s alleged plan to use these new battery packs for the Cybertruck.
Model Y with 4680 is the future. It is how Tesla gets the Model Y prices down to the next level.

Eventually Tesla is going to have a lot of vehicles running on 4680s.

Since Tesla makes enough cells for 1000 Model Ys per week, why are we only seeing ~270 dropped every couple weeks or so? Are a bunch getting sucked up quicker or offlined to Hertz or something?

Last edited:
I wonder if Tesla would do better with the S and X if they moved the price up, but also went more full-on luxury, with nicer interior materials and a bit more fancy gadgets. Really create a separation from the 3 and Y.
I think that is the correct approach, slowly morph S and X into high end luxury vechicles.

Slowly move Model 3 / Y to lower priced mass market vechicles.

Then introduce higher volume premium vechicles which plug the price gap. Or keep some trims of Model 3 / Y as premium.

IMO the public might get slightly confused when a model stretches over multiple market segments.

Reactions: UncaNed and LST
I think we can thank our old friend for calling the bottom.
FoiHbbBWIAA666V

Lol

Bradford Ferguson on Twitter: "Stanley & Phyllis love their manager" / Twitter

Funny title since Ford lost money the “total” is lower than GM’s bottom line.

Maybe next year the headline will be “Tesla makes more money than Ford and GM lost!”

At some point it’s going to be:
Tesla makes more money than all other automakers combined.
And then:
Tesla makes more money than all others lose.

This is what I have been hoping for. If the 6 seater X (or a newly designed similar size vehicle) ever dropped below $80k (eligible for $7,500 rebate) I would jump all over it. There is a huge market for a family vehicle this size but the price would need to come way down. Not sure what the current margins are on the X but I believe they were selling them below $80k at one point and I assume they still had a healthy profit built in. 🤷‍♂️
The $80k X were for 75 kWh batteries. Larger batteries have always been over $90k.

I don't follow these prices very closely - posting in case it's useful to someone.

Edit: I've been looking for Tesla daily/Tesla Podcast / Rob Maurer graph of prices over time, but can't find it. Anyone have a link to latest or another similar graph/table?

Edit2: Might only be 288 for sale (tweet isn't clear) and price differential increased due to changes in comparison model, not that 4680 price has decreased according to
"Pricing has been $50,990 since the price drops last month though."

85a23e4f6befe4951a70bb1ca1bbfccf079cb48e26b47dea5a85baf4505ef118.png

Think Iphone. They have the high end(Max pros), the mid tier and low tier(SE tier). You need one in every segment. The flagship carries what the company is capable of. They are there for brand image purposes and to give people that "wealth show off" factor.
And at this point they are Tesla's consumer vehicles with the most room inside. If you carry passengers or camp, the X is the best.

I would hate to see Tesla abandon a position in luxury cars to focus exclusively on the more “affordable” product line. I get that Elon wants to sell as many electric cars as possible as part of his focus on electrification, but I think there will always be a market for higher end cars for Tesla. It would seem a shame to drop out of that area of the market after having established a good position in it.
Tesla has a position in "luxury cars" only because its vehicles are expensive. They've never been "luxury" in any other way. If Tesla can reduce their cost through improved manufacturing, then they will lower the price and with any luck be out of the "luxury" market entirely. That's how they abandon their position in the best possible way.

Tesla has a position in "luxury cars" only because its vehicles are expensive. They've never been "luxury" in any other way. If Tesla can reduce their cost through improved manufacturing, then they will lower the price and with any luck be out of the "luxury" market entirely. That's how they abandon their position in the best possible way.
Sort of. Originally the S was described as a "premium car". Because no one else has a premium car (definition: a high end car without the nonfunctional extras) the S and X get lumped in with luxury cars because the price is similar. It will be a sad day if Tesla abandons that market segment to others. While I will certainly get a Y for Denise, for trips we want an X.