Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, that's not correct. Almost all of the shares in large, publicly-traded companies are held in street name. As far as Tesla can tell, the brokerage owns them, and the work to communicate with the actual shareholder is delegated either to the broker itself, or even further to a third party like Computershare - Wikipedia.

Thanks for that! And that explains why some Eurobrokerages don't extend the right to vote to their clients?

Max Q Monday morning
6/26 $970
7/02 $940
7/10 $950
7/17 $860 - monthly expiration. Lots of sub $500 puts

Just as a note - the volumes for calls/puts the next 3 weeks is miniscule compared to last week's options volume. For example - this week's options volume is literally about 7% of last week's volume. 7/17 options volume is decent because it's a monthly expiration. I don't expect much significant MM manipulation at all until 7/17.

Just as a note - the volumes for calls/puts the next 3 weeks is miniscule compared to last week's options volume. For example - this week's options volume is literally about 7% of last week's volume. 7/17 options volume is decent because it's a monthly expiration. I don't expect much significant MM manipulation at all until 7/17.

Yes the difference between weekly, monthly and quarterly expiration.

Reactions: JusRelax
No, that's not correct. Almost all of the shares in large, publicly-traded companies are held in street name. As far as Tesla can tell, the brokerage owns them, and the work to communicate with the actual shareholder is delegated either to the broker itself, or even further to a third party like Computershare - Wikipedia.

yes companies like broadridge(adp) and mediant offer services for proxy

my shares are held electronically at brokerage in my name, but at the depository in an omnibus acct designated by brokerage.

so the proxy service that your broker uses reconciles 1:1 with DTCC (depository) all positions as of record date

the proxy agent gets the shares of record from the broker, and makes sure that the total cust accts match what the omnibus acct has at depository, and thus will submit the vote to agent

it’s all automated file based activity. there can be some manual exceptions

the broker and thus depository tracks segregated shares vs “free excess” shares. i say free excess because that’s what dtcc used to call it

if my position is fully paid, or cash paid, then my shares are segregated to me, and cannot be used by broker for financing or lending, unless i opt into a plan

if my shares were bought using margin, they could be anywhere.

that’s where “free excess” comes in. maybe i have margin shares but the broker didn’t loan them out and they are sitting in the omnibus account, hence free excess of segregated shares. these exces share are eligible to vote as well. a broker can also have free excess shares for other reasons as well, like they over borrowed...(you borrow 100 shares of stock to cover a customer short of 85..you’d have 15 free excess shares)

anyway, both the broker and the proxy agent know who is long via fully paid or margin, and whether the shares sit with the omnibus acct for that broker via segregated position or free excess position.

With all the consumer protections you guys have in Europe, I'm surprised the European Union rules, or those of the individual countries, don't require that brokerages offering shares from overseas exchanges retain the voting rights of those shares for their clients!
EU stock holder here.

My online broker platform lets me use my voting rights by proxy. It takes some steps but it's possible. Basically I have to sign up on a different platform and connect to my broker platform. Then the (new) platform recognizes my shares (so I guess it has them identified by my broker without me seeing the details) and asks me how I want to vote (ahead of the shareholders meeting of course). That new platform then bundles all the votes from all the users and exercises them at the shareholders meeting. (How? Magic I assume)

• Informative
Reactions: StealthP3D
Nature.com research paper: Energy footprints between different income groups worldwide -

Large inequality in international and intranational energy footprints between income groups and across consumption categories | Nature Energy

"the potential for climate change mitigation through the reduction in emissions of one billion high emitters is far greater than the threat of granting the poorest 2.7 billion a basic level of emissions that comes with decent living standards"

"We also observe that the result of Fig. 4 is not determined by geographical particularities. One might think that the populationweighted mean emphasizes energy intensities in India or China so much that the results in other countries are overwritten. This not the case. Scrutinizing the non-population-weighted version of the measurements yields that 90% of package holidays and 92% of vehicle fuel are found in the luxury and high intensity quadrant, whereas 94% of food is found in the basic and low intensity quadrant."

"Extreme inequality is also observed when comparing how much energy the bottom 10% of the distributions consume compared with the top 10%. There are ~550 million people in each decile, so roughly the equivalent of today’s European Union. The top 10% consume ~39% of total final energy (nearly equivalent to the consumption of the bottom 80%), whereas the lowest 10% consume almost 20 times less, ~2%. There are three categories where the bottom 10% are entirely excluded from energy consumption so far: recreational items, package holidays and vehicle purchases. Recreational items comprise goods such as boats, vans or musical instruments. In terms of vehicle fuel, currently 187 times more energy is used by the top 10% consumers relative to the bottom 10%. The energy inequality is thus not just of quantity but also of quality, where energy services such as individual mobility are out of range for the poorest populations. Table 1 provides an overview of inequality in international energy footprints distinguished by consumption category."

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 7.59.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 8.03.02 AM.png

I'm definitely not smart enough to understand most of everything in this research paper, but I'm guessing that some on this forum can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welp so much for my theory that the stock would break out after being purposely held at 1,000 level for most of last week. Completely anemic volume on the stock on what has for the last month been the strongest volume and price action day of the week.

Oh well, time to look forward to next week :confused:

yeah, this sucks. i was hoping for some fun today. but it’s back to the miserable mondays!

EU stock holder here.

My online broker platform lets me use my voting rights by proxy. It takes some steps but it's possible. Basically I have to sign up on a different platform and connect to my broker platform. Then the (new) platform recognizes my shares (so I guess it has them identified by my broker without me seeing the details) and asks me how I want to vote (ahead of the shareholders meeting of course). That new platform then bundles all the votes from all the users and exercises them at the shareholders meeting. (How? Magic I assume)

Which broker? Which app, can you elaborate a bit?

Also just a friendly comparison, Nio now trades at a market cap of 8.1 billion which is 37 times revenue o_O

The equivalent for Tesla would be a market cap of 222 billion. I only compare revenue multiples because well Nio has worse metrics than tesla in every other way when it comea to ebita, cash flow, margins, etc....
I bought some NIO Calls a few months back mostly as Lotto tickets. Doing quite nicely at the moment. :)
As far as TSLA this week I'm OK with going sideways for a bit as I wrote some Calls and Puts OTM.

Reactions: dc_h and juanmedina
Attending the meeting and voting rights are two different things. Voting rights are associated with each share held as of the cut-off date. Rules for attending the meeting may very well be more lax. I'm surprised they have you log into your brokerage account right there, I would not do that due to security concerns. Telsa is required by securities laws to maintain a shareholder database. This database will also show the date the shares were acquired.

They know who you are!

If you are like the majority of investors these days who don't actually have a physical certificate in your hand, or who aren't directly registered, they literally do not know who you are.

A typical brokerage account today in held by your broker "in street name" which means the actual registered owner of your shares is your broker and they are holding your shares for you. This is why you can instantly buy and sell stocks!

In Street Name Definition

• Disagree
Reactions: Boomer19
Also just a friendly comparison, Nio now trades at a market cap of 8.1 billion which is 37 times revenue o_O

The equivalent for Tesla would be a market cap of 222 billion. I only compare revenue multiples because well Nio has worse metrics than tesla in every other way when it comea to ebita, cash flow, margins, etc....

Did you factor in the value of the Chinese government support? Chairman Pooh will literally not let NIO go tits up, they are critical to China's plans to dominate the future automobile industry, as are companies like Xpeng. Tesla never had the luxury of this kind of explicit/implicit government guaranteed support.

Did you factor in the value of the Chinese government support? Chairman Pooh will literally not let NIO go tits up, they are critical to China's plans to dominate the future automobile industry, as are companies like Xpeng. Tesla never had the luxury of this kind of explicit/implicit government guaranteed support.

While the Chinese government factor is a good reason not to necessarily short Nio, I don't think that factor really matters much in it's valuation. If Nio was a valid competitor to Tesla in that they were actually in control of their destiny through manufacturing and had the variety of products and upcoming productions to compare to Tesla, then I would give the chinese government support more weight.

My post was less about Nio being overvalued and how Tesla is undervalued IF Nio is getting that level of valuation in the market.

Reactions: oldTAVguy
"California’s air pollution agency this week is poised to pass a rule that would require truck manufacturers to cut their production of gas-powered vehicles by more than half over the next 15 years and instead sell battery- and hydrogen-powered machines.

It’s working on another regulation that would go even further, requiring large organizations like corporations and government agencies to mix more electric trucks in their fleets."

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article243435831.html

Down to earth is how I'd describe his review. He's talking to the naysayers for sure, SP just went up on that alone I bet.

What I'm not sure about is if he's up to speed on FSD, stating "If I had been on Autopilot, it would have made the turn by itself". Maybe he's got some special FSD features not release to public. And the hands-on-wheel message got lost in there after about 4 warnings. But maybe it fit his audience with some hands-free eye candy.

Love the trivia. Like where Elon left his cell number with Jay, then Jay used it many years later. I'm guessing Jay's got a rolodex full of business cards and still uses his typewriter for fun, balancing the old with the new like a cool Dad.
His review can be summarized as: I really like this car, but I don't know much about it. He's very positive, but mostly vague and inaccurate about details. For anybody on this forum, it's a waste of time to watch it.