Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who cares about a rival car maker releasing $100k+ EVs in the 2020s?

High priced luxury EVs are a niche market that is meaningless when Tesla, VW etc are focused on growing the mass market sub-$50k EV market where the vast bulk of Auto revenue is generated.

Wake me up when Lucid has firm near term plans to produce millions of sub $50k cars.

They are building like 25 delivery centers in the next few years. See if one is near you or else it doesn't matter and treat lucid like it doesn't exist..unless you are rich rebuild.

I'm a huge Tesla fan and TSLA investor, so I'm kinda playing Devil's Advocate here.

Lucid will have a Washington DC showroom. That's 400 miles away from me, but I could fly up and then drive the Lucid Air home without charging. And they do have access to a charging network. Electrify America is actually a pretty legit network (funded by VW's failures, but that's another story). It looks like Tesla's supercharging network circa 2016.

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 8.18.02 PM.png

I'm a huge Tesla fan and TSLA investor, so I'm kinda playing Devil's Advocate here.

Lucid will have a Washington DC showroom. That's 400 miles away from me, but I could fly up and then drive the Lucid Air home without charging. And they do have access to a charging network. Electrify America is actually a pretty legit network (funded by VW's failures, but that's another story). It looks like Tesla's supercharging network circa 2016.

View attachment 586433

All for it! We need electric cars. Tesla is not going to have 100% of the market nor should we want it to.

40% will do....

View attachment 586433

I think you missed the point. First production run from a brand new company will equate to a lot of problems. Lucid can be as confident as they can with a prototype but mass produced cars are another kind of beast. So if you are willing to buy a car knowing you may not have any service centers within 400 miles and the company can potentially belly up if they can't sell enough Lucid due to a lack of demand from just this fact, then go for it. You may end up with a 165k paper weight, unless you are Rich Rebuild who knows how to fix any car.

View attachment 586433
Excuse my ignorance, but how long will it take to charge a 517 mile capable Lucid on an Electrify America charging station? To my knowledge they have a long way to go to catch Superchargers. Granted, if they do have a range like that, you won't need to charge as much, but still something to consider.

Just finished watching the Lucid Air presentation. Not gonna lie, I was impressed.

Think Apple marketing with new and improved Tesla-esque technology (>500M range, 9.9 sec 1/4 mile), and Jaguar interior.

Was waiting for a Plaid Model S, but I might wait and get more info about Lucid. Electrify America charging stations are not as common as Tesla superchargers but with >500m range maybe not as important.

Wonder if this causes a little TSLA dip

I think competition is good and Tesla has nothing to fear from competition....

Buyers want a choice and IMO we will soon be at a tipping point where EV demand outstrips supply for many years...

There is plenty of market-share currently taken by increasingly noncompetitive ICE vehicles.

I do think Plaid Model S will be worth waiting for, and will entrench Lucid and many others as niche players..

In terms of the mission Tesla being so good that it makes it very hard for the electric competition is more likely than the competition causing Tesla serious headaches....

In terms of the short term share price when Bears give up on the competition/demand argument will be when significant competition and saturation of the EV market occurs, probably 7-10 years, perhaps sooner depending on how fast the Chinese can improve,

But in 7-10 years, time Tesla will be a different company, in particular Tesla Energy should be way more significant.

No competitor is likely to top Tesla, but we should be fair minded and applaud any decent effort...

IMO the Taycan, ID3 and Lucid air are all decent efforts, all have their good points, the best point being they are purpose built BEVs that offer buyers a bit more choice.

Last edited:
All for it! We need electric cars. Tesla is not going to have 100% of the market nor should we want it to.

40% will do....
Lucid won't either. I think they should partner up with legacy to get service centers in order and focused on a 70k car or cheaper with adequate range. It's a very dangerous game to play Tesla's master plan part 1 again because that plan may only work once, mostly because a lot of rich angry people who love EVs coming off the back of GM crushing them all were willing to gamble their money on a company in which a CEO said there is less than 10% chance their company will survive.

The only thing lucid has going for them is probably funding. Ipo and get a few billion.

Agreed. I’m not so easily impressed by soft-spoken hoity toity elegance. In fact, after a while it turns me off because it’s not real people. Real people is dancing like nobody’s watching because you’re really just that happy inside. Real people is lashing out when you’re bullied and lied about. Real people is stumbling over your words because you’re nervous or excited or your brain just works faster than your mouth.

I find the car pretentious and the team only slightly less so. I’m annoyed they talk like all the ideas they copied from Tesla were their own and that they’ve made it all somehow even better.

I’m not convinced they survive. But they’ll at least look their best dying.

This mirrors my own impressions well. Looked at that way, the target of their presentation looks wrong. Essentially, they seem to want to impress those who are locked into the mainstream of 'reasonableness'. As in, 'Why rock the boat... don't we all really think the Mercedes/BMW/Porsche/Bentley are what refinement is all about?' Not so many in that audience are impressed by any kind of technology that takes understanding and being fascinated and excited about.

Clearly, they do have a very competent engineering team. Unfortunately for them, they really do need a cowboy at the helm to get people excited. I didn't get even the faintest hint of that from this presentation.

View attachment 586433

Got me thinking about the Tesla powerpacks used at electrify America and wishing it's at most and not just a few of them. I was researching the ones near me on plug share app and saw this pic. Could the large white boxes in the right be them?
Screenshot_20200909-174422.png

This mirrors my own impressions well. Looked at that way, the target of their presentation looks wrong. Essentially, they seem to want to impress those who are locked into the mainstream of 'reasonableness'. As in, 'Why rock the boat... don't we all really think the Mercedes/BMW/Porsche/Bentley are what refinement is all about?' Not so many in that audience are impressed by any kind of technology that takes understanding and being fascinated and excited about.

Clearly, they do have a very competent engineering team. Unfortunately for them, they really do need a cowboy at the helm to get people excited. I didn't get even the faintest hint of that from this presentation.

Yes, the juxtaposition of ‘we’re really excited’ while sitting their like you’re chilling in a lounging chair, dressed in a velour smoking jacket, puffing on a cigar, sipping cognac, telling a tale, ‘Rightie then ole chap.’

Umm, yeah doesn’t work for me. I think snob, stuffed shirt. And that’s the impression the car gives me as well. Perhaps that’s what they purposely want to portray, in which case they nailed it and failed *us*. The S and X never came across like this despite people pounding their chests ‘rich people’s car’.

As much as I dislike the ID vehicles, they’re at least being aimed at the larger ‘real, everyday people’ market. That’s what’s needed.

How is lucid financed? Building a factory in 8 months now and alten in house innovation on hvac batteries lights motors etc? Where does the money come from?
lucid is the response from the Saudi oil tycoons who are losing their ass at the moment. But at least they’re smart enough to see the future and respond.

Excuse my ignorance, but how long will it take to charge a 517 mile capable Lucid on an Electrify America charging station? To my knowledge they have a long way to go to catch Superchargers. Granted, if they do have a range like that, you won't need to charge as much, but still something to consider.
300 miles in 20 minutes