Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla will struggle for sure. They've gone through hell multiple times. I hope this battery endeavor isn't another "bet the company" kind.

K lol, you watched the presentation, right? The entire premise of this initiative is that Tesla PLANS to outgrow an expected max. available 100 GWh supply of 3rd party btys by 2022.

This is a LIMIT to growth. Tesla is breaking the speed limits. :p

Cheers!

I didn't read much about it here, but if I remember correctly Elon and Drew said that Tesla will do its own recycling. It was good to hear that. And I guess this means JB's venture is out of the picture. The fact that he recently started collaborating with Tesla's 'competitors' was already a sign.

I was very surprised to hear Tesla saying they were going to do their own recycling. I wonder if they've really done work in this area, or whether it is another aspirational goal.

How would JB's Redwood Material take a trouncing? It's a private company.

Too funny on KCAC (SPAC set to acquire Quantumscape, Gate's battery cell play). That's what you get Bill when you get involved in stuff you don't know anything about :p (reference to Elon and Bill's little twitter spat).

Elon and Drew did say that Tesla WILL do their own recycling, but that TODAY they are using other companies. I strongly suspect Redwood Materials is one of those companies.

https://twitter.com/cbra92/status/1308899291981807616?s=09
https://twitter.com/cbra92/status/1308923266090905600?s=09

Gali drama. The funny part is that journalist been saying that competition is coming and we been waiting for years....such a double standard.

OK so I’m not a fan of Gali’s so this might sound really harsh but somebody has to say it.

We need better media ambassadors for Tesla to represent us. I realize Gali brings a lot of energy and is popular with the millennials but that is no way to represent Tesla. I don’t care what was said but there are better ways to make your point. And this is not the first time I have seen him lose it. Media loves drama and hence he gets more invitations.

Anyone feel like me after dissecting battery day? Even more bullish now than before?

Laid out the master plan for the next 5 years
Death of ICE
Reduced costs
Longer range
New Compact Car
FSD
Y'all know the rest......100% in $TSLA as of today.....Retiring in 2030 after $TSLA reaches $5 trillion market cap :) I'll still be on TMC with my 2nd family! :D:D:D:D:D

Yes! The Steven Job's way to unveil a product - announcing a product only when it is ready.
Maybe we should ask Elon what the objectives are to have an event so far ahead of the reality.
There were times when Tesla showcased a product years ahead of the delivery for specific causes - the solar roof to sell the Solar City merger; the model 3 to gauge the demands. But other events didn't benefit Tesla.
There seems no purposes other than:
1. Satisfy Elon's ego to describe cool technology and engineering.
2. Alert competitors the new technology, and which directions to move forward.
Tesla semi three year ago - helped others to sell delivery truck / van; the autonomy day FSD hardware - drove NVidia to improve its auto chip; the battery day - laid out key battery improvements for others to imitate.
I forget who (sorry), but someone nailed it: These events are to recruit the best young engineers. You can't do that if you don't describe the cool tech, engineering, and the road map.

OK so I’m not a fan of Gali’s so this might sound really harsh but somebody has to say it.

We need better media ambassadors for Tesla to represent us. I realize Gali brings a lot of energy and is popular with the millennials but that is no way to represent Tesla. I don’t care what was said but there are better ways to make your point. And this is not the first time I have seen him lose it. Media loves drama and hence he gets more invitations.

same. Seems like a nice guy and does know his stuff, but the delivery is just as important.

FYI Supercharging is currently working. My wife’s first solo mountain running trip with the new Model Y and the Dreamcase. I was just talking to her and decided it best not to say “oh love, you’re in the middle of nowhere and the car has 20 miles.....the Superchargers may be down” lol

View attachment 591555

Seriously fell out of my chair at the name of your wife's car. Her idea, or yours?

Yes! The Steven Job's way to unveil a product - announcing a product only when it is ready.
Maybe we should ask Elon what the objectives are to have an event so far ahead of the reality.
There were times when Tesla showcased a product years ahead of the delivery for specific causes - the solar roof to sell the Solar City merger; the model 3 to gauge the demands. But other events didn't benefit Tesla.
Tesla semi three year ago - helped others to sell delivery truck / van; the autonomy day FSD hardware - drove NVidia to improve its auto chip; the battery day - laid out key battery improvements for others to imitate.

Okay so Elon have said that Tesla is like a bunch of start ups all smashed into one company. What do start ups do? They announce their proof of concept and roadmap to gain investors and investor confidence. This is why almost 100% of startup companies are story stocks, with massive potential years away. Tesla's valuation has always been a story stock so there needs to be more stories to justify the valuation. Execution back fills the valuation while the story increase the valuation.

This is why the minute execution falters the stock gets punished harshly. The reason for volitality of start ups, and Tesla.

I disagree - I think it had to be shown at the AGM, as it was becoming increasingly obvious that Panasonic didn't have plans to meet Tesla's intended battery needs at GF1 anytime soon. The AGM and upcoming earnings calls would have been filled with questions about where Tesla was going to get its batteries from as deliveries multiply by 3x over next 18 months.

(Also: FYI, Steve Jobs announced products and architecture transitions months & years in advance frequently)

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/cbra92/status/1308899291981807616?s=09
https://twitter.com/cbra92/status/1308923266090905600?s=09

Gali drama. The funny part is that journalist been saying that competition is coming and we been waiting for years....such a double standard.
****ing love this! I watched his vid on Battery Day and he would get emotional as well.....because he should. This is a huge event. This is the company doing the most for humanity...and we are tired of the haters.

New filing in the Nikola patent lawsuit case by Tesla's lawyers: https://twitter.com/MotorSkeptic/status/1308903245436387329?s=20

They're alleging that Trevor Milton actually stole the design himself from a hydrogen powered semi truck design named Road Runner that was entered into a 2010 Michelin design challenge. Sounds plausible, because Trevor met with the designer of the Road Runner before patenting the Nikola One.

I disagree - I think it had to be shown at the AGM, as it was becoming increasingly obvious that Panasonic didn't have plans to meet Tesla's intended battery needs at GF1 anytime soon. The AGM and upcoming earnings calls would have been filled with questions about where Tesla was going to get its batteries from as deliveries multiply by 3x over next 18 months.

Agreed. I also firmly believe that the previous chemistry and footprint required to build the cells meant that no one was ever going to have capacity to solve the problem of taking the entire auto industry fully electric.

What hasn't sunk into the Wall St. dullards yet is that Tesla just showed the entire world a roadmap of how to do that.

Basically, they just increased cell manufacturing density by 7X while reducing cost per kWh by over 50%. Very VERY few people seem to have grasped that concept yet. They get one, or the other, but not how impactful both are together.

Agreed. I also firmly believe that the previous chemistry and footprint required to build the cells meant that no one was ever going to have capacity to solve the problem of taking the entire auto industry fully electric.

What hasn't sunk into the Wall St. dullards yet is that Tesla just showed the entire world a roadmap of how to do that.

Basically, they just increased cell manufacturing density by 7X while reducing cost per kWh by over 50%. Very VERY few people seem to have grasped that concept yet. They get one, or the other, but not how impactful both are together.
Honestly....the only thing that would have pleased the short term traders, fly by night investors, anal cysts is if Elon landed a Roadster on the stage as his entrance...No one knows the magnitude of what Tesla displayed yesterday. R.I.P EV 'competitors' and ICE...that was your funeral.

If you can get Sandy Munro to gush and say "We over here at Munro & Associates are truly excited", "Tesla just announced the gospel of EV's", "If i was an OEM CEO, id be wetting myself right now", You know you have done and presented something revolutionary.

Berlin Y production is now very confusing. I don't know how to reconcile the battery day information with Q1/2 2021 Berlin production. I do think the stamped structure will be used before the new pack is available.

The Berlin plan B may be to supply Y to Europe from Fremont and China if the local ramp is slow.

A lower range Cybertruck could also be build with 2170 tech. I'm sure Tesla has multiple possible tech paths planned depending on how the new processes mature.

I'm also sure that there is a high cycle battery in development for the semi and storage. Battery day was about making batteries. I think Musk felt he said plenty. Retail oriented product focused listeners seem to mostly disagree.
Don't have the links but based on things I've read the last couple of months, batteries for Berlin will initially be provided by outside suppliers. The factory will open sometime in Q1.

We don't know when local battery production starts in Berlin. Maybe early 2022.

Last edited:
One thing that I think needs more attention is the fact that yesterday we saw a road map with some real challenges yet to be solved. Odds that they hit exactly a 56% reduction in cost are somewhat small, and that is OK.
Elon and team unveiled a multifaceted attack strategy, assaulting high cost at every single step of the battery mining, production, assembly, and vehicle integration processes. It is why they might be able to achieve dominance in battery manufacturing. The real genius that may be so obvious that no one feels the need to articulate it is the independence of each advance.

The dry electrode tech is not dependent on cell to pack integration. Anode and cathode improvements too have positive feedback effects but failing to find a cobalt free cathode does not preclude silicon anode usage if that is solved.

The strength of battery day is in the diversity and independence of the various advancements. Tesla may not achieve all it laid out on its roadmap but it will certainly achieve much and one failure cannot become a bottleneck restricting all the other advances