Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With trepidation, I'll take a shot at the EU emission credit situation. This makes my head hurt.

The following analysis attempts to assess the implications of Stellantis dissolving the EU emissions pool with Tesla. This mainly looks at what Stellantis must do to avoid EU emissions penalties without Tesla.

We begin with the 2020 ICCT Market Monitor
https://theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/MarketMonitor-EU-jan2021.pdf

View attachment 659853

Note that PSA-Opel and FCA, the components of Stellantis, are still bookkept separately. Also note that it looks like PSA-Opel was in pretty good shape last year. It actually came in under its emissions target.

However, it is important to understand the “Compliance Credits”. PI – or “Phase-In”, was a one-time-only 2020 gift that allowed manufacturers to write off their worst polluters, up to a credit of 3.0 g CO2/km. Everyone took full advantage, and that is now gone. Also SC – or “Super-credits” allowed manufacturers to double-count ZEVs in their emissions calculations up to 7.5 g CO2/km total for 2020-2022. PSA-Opel used 5.3 out of the 7.5 in 2020, they only have 2.2 left through 2022. (EC – “Eco-Innovations” is a negligible component)

Looking at the FCA-Tesla-Honda pool, it used all Phase-In and Super-credits compliance credits in 2020 and was still showing a 3 g/km gap.

To estimate the situation in 2021, I assumed that vehicle sales of PSA-Opel and the FCA-Tesla-Honda pool remained at 2020 totals along with the emission levels. Those are (also from the ICCT Market Monitor):

PSA-Opel: 1,723,970
FCA-Tesla-Honda: 859,451
(Honda sold less than 4000 cars in the EU in 2020, so its contribution can be ignored: Register to read | Financial Times)

Given those assumptions, and the EU CO2 emissions penalty rate of 95€/vehicle/(g/km), the penalty situation in 2021 looks like this:

View attachment 659854

If PSA-Opel and FCA-Tesla are considered separately, they could be predicted to incur €606 million and €1135 million penalties, respectively. If combined into one pool, the penalty could be somewhat less than the sum due to the way compliance credits are deducted. Still, €1455 million.

So, if Stellantis wanted to “go it alone”, what would it have to do to ditch Tesla and meet its emissions target? One option would be to replace the sales of the pool’s Teslas with Stellantis ZEVs, PLUS replace some Stellantis ICE cars with ZEVs. According to the Financial Times link, Tesla sold 97,957 vehicles in the EU in 2020. Given that (and ignoring Honda) the numbers work out like this for that scenario:

View attachment 659855

Stellantis would have to sell 254,000 more ZEVs in 2021 than in 2020. 98,000 would replace the lost Teslas and 156,000 would need to replace Stellantis ICE vehicles.

Many assumptions would probably change (number of 2021 vehicle sales and ICE/ZEV mix) and other scenarios could be made to work (additional vs. replacement ZEVs, etc.). As usual, this doesn't shed much light on what Stellantis was paying Tesla other than establishing an upper bound.

To add to your excellent analysis, I computed the penalty for 2020 that FCA/Honda would have had to pay with and without Tesla.
Tesla saved the pool about EUR304m or about $US347m (that's $87m per Qtr). So the numbers are in line with what we heard from Stellantis' CFO (EUR300m).

What's interestng, is my analysis of the VW group penalty. I computed that they paid US$1.2B in 2020. Perhaps they will be the new buyers of Tesla's zero emissions benefit.

1620308561351.png

Last edited:
To add some anecdotal data, a good friend I work with placed an order for a Model X about a month ago. She test drove the Y and my model 3 but currently drives one of the Lexus boats and likes the higher stance of the drivers seat so X it is. Anyway, when she told me her delivery date was late June it seemed plausible at the time until the recent delays and other data points from this thread made me wonder. So last week I asked her if her delivery date was still late June which she hadn't heard anything from Tesla to think otherwise. Yesterday she tells me Tesla just pushed her delivery to September. It appears that Q3 is most likely sold out soon if not already. Hello bots, did you hear that? It appears that Q3 is most likely sold out soon if not already.

OT before market opens:
Her dilemma now is that her lease on the Lexus is up 8/1. She has a few options to play but it's still inconvenient and disheartening for her and not a good introduction to Tesla. She's really green on the whole EV movement and I've tried to alleviate her concerns which are legitimate as she owns a condo with dedicated underground and secure parking in Saratoga Springs with no place to charge other than a 120V within about 15'. Trying to work with the HOA and maintenance to add level 2 at the dedicated handicap spaces which she claims the HOA has the right to do so hopefully that will pan out. It's still going to be a struggle though trying to keep her in the fold now, convincing her it will be worth the wait and trouble.
Wish I had a spare model X to lend her.

It's a pleasant sign of a very strong demand that Tesla is sold out after RAISING prices. Sadly, however, it's also arguably a sign of inflation.

I've had a new Model X ordered for a couple months now, so I'll happily bide my time and HODL.

Wish I had a spare model X to lend her.

It's a pleasant sign of a very strong demand that Tesla is sold out after RAISING prices. Sadly, however, it's also arguably a sign of inflation.

I've had a new Model X ordered for a couple months now, so I'll happily bide my time and HODL.
And with a possible large tax credit coming within the next year. It's possible the dems lose the House in the midterms so the clock is ticking for any big things he wants to get done.

Reactions: cdswm3
This seems like a good move
Tesla Inc said on Thursday it was developing a platform for car owners in China that will allow them to access data generated by their vehicles.

So what's today's excuse for a sell-off? 10Y is dropping, economy strengthening, Yellen hasn't mentioned interest rates, Tesla selling out of production

Markets are totally illogical right now

Must be a hell of a lot of short positions need unwinding soon
Whatever the reason is, capitalize on that. Too many catalysts that are within Tesla's control to be sitting this one out!

Man just unreal at this point. News of Q2 being sold out when any halfway intelligent person knows that means P/D of 200k at the minimum.......and yet zero buying volume. Just nonstop selling volume and in general, hardly any volume at all.

They were able to drop it on what should have been a breakout piece of news. Sorry but no one can convince me otherwise at this point that both the buy side and the sell side work together for their own goals. We've had good news after good new after good news and no buying volume comes in. I expect shorts, bears, and MM's to do their thing but I at this point it sure seems like what should be the buy side institutions and funds are willing to go along with this

It seems clear to me that there's clear intent to break TSLA to the downside when the wedge between the upward channel and the lower channel meet. If the stock stays below 700 for another week, pretty sure they will have accomplished this goal.

Doesn't mean anything long term of course for shareholders......but Q2 Call holders and now Q3 Call holders are completely hosed. I'm very relieved that I only dabbled in one July Call, a couple Sept Calls and a couple more Dec Calls. The vast majority of my calls are for March 2022 and later.

Last edited: