Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If people only need a vehicle to carry out some special task once a year, why not hire one? (or better still hire someone to do that thing).
We get between 1 and 2 tons of firewood delivered to our house once a year. It would be nuts to own a truck to save myself maybe $60 a year.
Would people buy a house in another city so you can visit it for 1 day a year?
The cybertruck will mostly sell on its looks, and its 0-60 bragging rights, not its utility or its towing or camping practicality. Its like arguing about luggage space in a plaid. Nobody buys a plaid because its practical.

Occasionally is at least once a year, and that pairs with the many once a year trips we and many others take. We take those trips seriously and we will cover between 7,000 and 11,000 miles on a trip so they are not short trips. That is 36% of truck owners. The bureau of transportation says we have 48 million pickups on the roads so that is 17 million who tow at least annually. People that have horses and go to horse shows may only do it once or twice a year. But when they go they typically go long distances. While I hate having a gasser, we do have a plug-in hybrid for our towing as that is not yet reasonable for EVs. Assuming you like to camp in National Parks and National Forest as we do.
Following you logic, there are 31 million pickups on the road which do not tow. If Tesla were to replace them all, it would take 31*4=124 years at 250k annually... Of course I'm joking, but it seems you are really picking edge cases that are very, very difficult for EVs, at the moment. Batteries, nowadays, can't compete in energy density with gasoline or diesel. It's orders of magnitude lower.
This is a technological reality, and it was not nice for Elon and Tesla to overpromise 4 years ago. Still, they are pushing the limits.

I'm sure in 3-4 years there will be EV products more suited for these needs, but please remember that North American camping habits are quite niche for the rest of the world.

Occasionally is at least once a year, and that pairs with the many once a year trips we and many others take. We take those trips seriously and we will cover between 7,000 and 11,000 miles on a trip so they are not short trips. That is 36% of truck owners. The bureau of transportation says we have 48 million pickups on the roads so that is 17 million who tow at least annually. People that have horses and go to horse shows may only do it once or twice a year. But when they go they typically go long distances. While I hate having a gasser, we do have a plug-in hybrid for our towing as that is not yet reasonable for EVs. Assuming you like to camp in National Parks and National Forest as we do.
Occasionally is not "at least" once a year. It's "on average" once or twice a year.

Reactions: dhrivnak
This sounds to me like about 80% of people don't really tow. The 80/20 rule is apt here. 20% of customers account for 80% of your problems and vice versa. Tesla is smart to get the truck out to the 80% who will find it fully capable of addressing all of their needs. The other 20% just need to wait.

Before this discussion gets too involved. The fact of the matter is that NONE of the 20% nor any of the 80% are going to be able to purchase a Cybertruck for several years from now. Unless they already have an early reservation number everybody has to wait.

The Cybertruck may be completely different by the time those fretting over towing issues today are actually able to be at a point where they are facing their purchase decision.

Well, unless the spirit of the discussion is purely speculative and for entertainment purposes.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.”

At the end of the day , it’s a “ means of transport “ and nothing more . No need to get wound up on it . Tesla will
Keep iterating it and one day it’s bells and whistles will be to your taste and please you . In the meanwhile , get out, get some fresh air, spend time with meat and dear and enjoy the weekend .

If people only need a vehicle to carry out some special task once a year, why not hire one? (or better still hire someone to do that thing).
We get between 1 and 2 tons of firewood delivered to our house once a year. It would be nuts to own a truck to save myself maybe $60 a year.
Would people buy a house in another city so you can visit it for 1 day a year?
The cybertruck will mostly sell on its looks, and its 0-60 bragging rights, not its utility or its towing or camping practicality. Its like arguing about luggage space in a plaid. Nobody buys a plaid because its practical.
Agreed, it is an electric hot wheel. The Cabin area is very attractive. The Stainless is waaay cool. 48 volts! all the software improvements. And its interaction with the surface of the Earth is over and above anything out there.
If the "bed/closet" was just a flat space the truck would be improved. It's like it was never researched, designed or engineered.
"Paint it with some rubber, slap some outlets in it, and... we're done."

Before this discussion gets too involved. The fact of the matter is that NONE of the 20% nor any of the 80% are going to be able to purchase a Cybertruck for several years from now. Unless they already have an early reservation number everybody has to wait.

The Cybertruck may be completely different by the time those fretting over towing issues today are actually able to be at a point where they are facing their purchase decision.

Well, unless the spirit of the discussion is purely speculative and for entertainment purposes.
And who ever thought the saving grace of a Tesla vehicle would be... "in time it might improve to the point that it is useful." Right now it is exactly what I never would agree with before the reveal. Many people (evidently) smarter than me said it would be a symbol of snobbery. I argued with them that it would be many things to many people. I mean come on Elon had a big canvas. I didn't know he would ignore the huge "trunk". And that is what it is. It is a trunk with a silly accordion door on it.

Agreed, it is an electric hot wheel. The Cabin area is very attractive. The Stainless is waaay cool. 48 volts! all the software improvements. And its interaction with the surface of the Earth is over and above anything out there.
If the "bed/closet" was just a flat space the truck would be improved. It's like it was never researched, designed or engineered.
"Paint it with some rubber, slap some outlets in it, and... we're done."

It is absolutely perfect for my application. Everything about it fits the role to a T. I hope it is still a good fit in two or three years when my reservation gets called out.

There is nothing about it I would want changed, other than advancement in energy density in the batteries, and they are working on that.

The people taking delivery now belong in the 80%, who just want a big vehicle, capable of towing WHEN they need to, have bed IN CASE they need one, tough against the elements, and cool. That's all. I want one and I never wanted a truck before. My wife hates trucks with a passion but she wants one. Is that enough anecdotal?