Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But he didn't see it last month or year? So you're saying this is a recent AI breakthrough? Maybe. Also bullish.
I think the consensus was, from things elon has said, and changes made to FSD, that there is some 'tipping point' in terms of training data size that has a disproportionate impact on the effectiveness of AI.
I think that was also clear with chatgpt. It wasnt 'a bit' better than previous LLM, but MASSIVELY better. There seems to be a disproportionately large impact on outcomes from scaling training data past a given point. Tesla only recently hit that point with FSD 12.

If thats true is amazing news. Absolutely nobody else has the level of real world driving data than Tesla has. Nobody even has a twentieth of their data. Maybe not even 1%. If that data size achieves FSD, then nobody else can ever catch up.

Obviously, what matters most is the markets expectations for earnings over the next year or two. This is why clarity on what revenues Tesla is going to make from Energy, Cybertruck, etc... are going to be by the end of the year is really important. And what costs are going to drag margins from - for example - the terrible progress in 4680 DBE scaling.

This is what we need to learn on the earnings call. Not FSD, Dojo, Optimus. Those are great long term but mean nothing for earnings growth later this year and in 2025.

The purpose of Tesla earnings calls is to clarify that:

1. Prototypes are easy; manufacturing is hard.

2. When FSD goes live, it will be the biggest step change in valuation in history.

Set your expectations at (1) and (2) and it is impossible to be disappointed.

Elon sees how fast A.I. is growing. I believe that is his reason for pushing for 25% now. Nothing related to current Tesla margins and profit.

I recall years of seeing posts in this thread hyping every upcoming quarterly call as "the one" where Wall Street figured it out and wised up.

I'm glad to see less hype.
Elon is pushing for 25% to make the point for that he is the only few who takes AI danger seriously. Also some breakthroughs with hardware/software that shortened the time frame from "we should be fine for a few more years" to "I need to step in before it's too late". Yes, buying the bird is also for this purpose, as AI algorithm today already put people into extreme echo chambers. He is trying to force people to see opposing views before all everyone see are confirmation bias.

The purpose of Tesla earnings calls is to clarify that:

1. Prototypes are easy; manufacturing is hard.

2. When FSD goes live, it will be the biggest step change in valuation in history.

Set your expectations at (1) and (2) and it is impossible to be disappointed.
And to clarify when asked for the 100th time if Tesla will be cutting anymore prices
"Tesla's desirability is infinite, people just can't afford it".

I hear a lot about how 4680s and Dry Battery electrode is so late, and delayed and a disappointment. I never hear about how any of Tesla's rivals are overtaking them on these things though.
I do. Tesla's battery competition has been making very solid gains in cost and energy density.

Tesla has tried to drive down battery cost by improving the manufacturing process. Of course, Tesla has worked on other battery research, but superior manufacturing was meant to be the means to leapfrog the competition.

It could still happen. If Tesla's unique approach finally pans out, they could start cranking out cells faster and cheaper than anyone else. But so far, Tesla is still behind.

The nice thing is that even though Tesla is a bit behind, the IRA credits and the fact that they cut out the middleman works in Tesla's favor.

Poll closes soon if you want to change? Expectation is for a 4 seater with all seats facing forward.

1705610336921.png

Reactions: AZRI11 and SOULPEDL
I think the consensus was, from things elon has said, and changes made to FSD, that there is some 'tipping point' in terms of training data size that has a disproportionate impact on the effectiveness of AI.
I think that was also clear with chatgpt. It wasnt 'a bit' better than previous LLM, but MASSIVELY better. There seems to be a disproportionately large impact on outcomes from scaling training data past a given point. Tesla only recently hit that point with FSD 12.

If thats true is amazing news. Absolutely nobody else has the level of real world driving data than Tesla has. Nobody even has a twentieth of their data. Maybe not even 1%. If that data size achieves FSD, then nobody else can ever catch up.
I don't think FSD is what is bothering him. I think it is the integration of Optimus FSD with next gen Grok to produce a close to sentient humanoid (or car)? that is the issue. What are the terms and Conditions of bringing in the IP from X.ai ?

A little OT: As I'm just finishing the last 4 episodes of "Person of Interest" (for the 5th time) I'm still blown away at how prescient that series was. Many if not most of the things shown in that series are coming true now, 10 years later. The one thing they didn't get correct was that there would only be 2 competing AI's, Samaritan and The Machine, whereas we're now seeing a plethora of AGI's coming, many from the US, but also under development worldwide (which we in the States don't hear much about). So will Elon with more voting control be Harold, John, or Root with X.ai?

To quote the great Bob Dylan, the times they are a'changing... and fast!