Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any of you guys subscribing to FSD or know the details?

If you subscribe - is it for any car your account drive or any driver on a particular car? Or just you on a particular car?
Been using FSD-b since two years ago when it was being made available for a somewhat larger crowd of no-kidding Beta (some would argue Alpha) testers.

We have two Teslas; one, a M3 for the risk taker (that would be me) and a MY for the SO. She hasn’t been thrilled with the zaniness and need for strict attention that driving with FSD has required, but she does like the lane changing capabilities on highways, where the car’s many eyeballs make changing lanes much safer. So, the MY has EAP.

In the past, FSD-b has required constant attentiveness when doing city streets since, on a pretty regular basis, it would attempt to kill itself. Running red lights, not stopping at stop signs, blocking other traffic when making turns, and so on.

However, as time has passed, FSD-b has gotten better. It used to be 5 or more interventions a mile; now it’s down to 5 in, maybe, ten miles. It’s kind of random in that regard; I’ve made 20 mile trips on local roads these days without a single intervention, but that’s definitely rolling the dice. And, compared to how it used to be, its current capabilities are impressive.

But, as many have pointed out, impressive does not mean error free, and to lose that Beta designator it’s going to have to be better than a human. Which is asking quite a bit.. but humans are definitely not error free, either.

I’d much rather drive around with FSD-b available than not. One gets a definite feel for where the software will run into trouble, and, in those places Just Take Over and avoid the stress. On clearly marked roads it does a kind of relaxing job and one can simply supervise. But the learning curve to get to that understanding is a bit steep.

The Tesla crowd is currently wrangling the next major FSD release into some form of safety/stability before releasing it to the general crowd of testers. They’ve made hopeful noises that they may get the intervention rate down by a factor of 100. Which would be astonishing. That remains to be seen, of course.

So, it’s still a Beta. A much better Beta than it used to be. But not quite ready for Ma and Pa Sixpack. If you’re interested in helping the effort along and having the shiny nifty stuff, sure, buy FSD-b, but plan on some time learning its vagaries.

And the whole blame thing is, to some extent, a research project. Tesla does think that they’ll deliver an ADAS for sure and are clearly aiming at a Robotaxi. But, when plowing virgin forest like this, nothing is guaranteed.

Last edited:
Guten Abend!

I have watched the interview with Giga Berlin boss Andre Thierig. And 22 minutes in he talks about the future of the factory and points out that Tesla does make other products - not only cars.

In my brain that sounds like Germany might get a Megapacktory soonish. Or a robotics line. Any product in addition to the Gen3 car would be great. But Energy or Robotics particulary so.

The video is in German but fortunately I speak a little. If you don't then YouTube might put on captions for you.

Why are those Cybertrucks just sitting all over the place instead of getting shipped???
you can compare with another flyover by Brad Sloan from last Sat, most of the cars in the lot next to the helipad, and in the new west side outbound lot are new this week. You can see the helipad lot at ~3:20 in that video, and the west side outbound lot at ~7:35.
Between Joe and Brad and another guy they pretty much have a flyover everyday. These lots empty out on the weekend, and fill up very quickly on Monday.

Guten Abend!

I have watched the interview with Giga Berlin boss Andre Thierig. And 22 minutes in he talks about the future of the factory and points out that Tesla does make other products - not only cars.

In my brain that sounds like Germany might get a Megapacktory soonish. Or a robotics line. Any product in addition to the Gen3 car would be great. But Energy or Robotics particulary so.

The video is in German but fortunately I speak a little. If you don't then YouTube might put on captions for you.
I didn't, but English YouTube captions on an English language video are often very humorous. (Hearing isn't great so I always have the captions on)

Reactions: Christine69420
This is pure and simple a indicator that demand for EVs has weakened.
That is a narrative that is being pushed by some people...

The facts are used prices for Teslas were very high for a long time, partially because production lagged demand,.

Used prices for all cars were high when production volumes lagged demand due to the chip shortage.

When Tesla cut prices, some alternative EVs were simply exposed as being poor value for money..

Production volumes are still increasing, and Tesla is still managing good sales volumes even in China, which is a tricky market at present.

We should look at the car makers who have inventory piling up in certainly markets, or who are rapidly losing market share in China, Tesla is doing far better than they are.

In tougher economic times the customer simply wants value for money for any car, EV or ICE.

Sorry if this is the wrong place. But, so sad!

Granted it was a series of unfortunate circumstances, but can’t help but wonder if the stalk should come back! 😥

Granted it was a series of unfortunate circumstances, but can’t help but wonder if the stalk should come back! 😥
There is likely more to it than that. I think we need to wait until the investigation is complete. Usually these kind of stories are not the whole story.

That's a truly horrible way to die. Maybe Tesla should implement some sort of simple failsafe emergency egress for these types of situations.

Any of you guys subscribing to FSD or know the details?

If you subscribe - is it for any car your account drive or any driver on a particular car? Or just you on a particular car?
FSD is specific to a vehicle, whoever drive it. Safety precautions pertain to the vehicle too, so a suspension that happens because of failures of a given driver, not the owner, still apply to the vehicle.

FSD is specific to a vehicle, whoever drive it. Safety precautions pertain to the vehicle too, so a suspension that happens because of failures of a given driver, not the owner, still apply to the vehicle.
FSD is the same for all vehicles- it's the same software/hardware stack - how can it be different?. The difference is how the driver over time learns to live with it .. cheers!!

Reactions: unk45
FSD is the same for all vehicles- it's the same software/hardware stack - how can it be different?. The difference is how the driver over time learns to live with it .. cheers!!
The reference is to availability, not specifications. Obviously if angivennstackmforbangiven specification of vehicle does not vary. Whether the stack is identical for different models and/or equipment is something about which I have no idea, although logically difference camera and other equipment including FSD chips may differ in some cases. Maybe someone here actually knows that information for FSD 12 and/or for the older versions.

How would a stock have changed this outcome? I don’t understand.

That's a truly horrible way to die. Maybe Tesla should implement some sort of simple failsafe emergency egress for these types of situations.
You mean like using the manual door release located in front of the window switches? Yeah, Tesla has thought of that.

If only Tesla could get people to RTFM…

You mean like using the manual door release located in front of the window switches? Yeah, Tesla has thought of that.

If only Tesla could get people to RTFM…
I was thinking more along the lines of a small charge or mechanical device that completely fractures the windows when completely submerged. Opening a car door with hundreds or thousands of pounds of water pressure against it isn't that easy. Especially if you're in a state of panic.

Reactions: phantasms
I was thinking more along the lines of a small charge or mechanical device that completely fractures the windows when completely submerged. Opening a car door with hundreds or thousands of pounds of water pressure against it isn't that easy. Especially if you're in a state of panic.
Which is why you wait until the vehicle is mostly full of water, and the pressure is equalized and the door opens very easily. And if you’re concerned about breaking windows for emergency egress, there are cheap devices for that. All emergency personnel are supposed to have them as well.

Which is why you wait until the vehicle is mostly full of water, and the pressure is equalized and the door opens very easily. And if you’re concerned about breaking windows for emergency egress, there are cheap devices for that. All emergency personnel are supposed to have them as well.
Yes. Unfortunately, most people don't know that. A decent percentage of Tesla owners probably aren't aware of the manual door release, either. It's a very sad situation, and blaming the victim isn't a good look. Maybe blaming the responders isn't either. It just feels like it shouldn't have taken so long.

How would a stock have changed this outcome? I don’t understand.
He said stalk not stock. He means she might have not hit reverse instead of forward if using a stalk instead of the center screen to choose gears.

I won't add an opinion to that but the last few posts going off on a tangent on your confusion of the word stalk seemed to need a clarification.